Talk

Advanced search

Scotland's last single sex state school to admit boys

(77 Posts)
scotsheather Sun 01-Dec-19 17:32:17

Not seen a thread on this. Its been rumbling on for years but personally I think it was inevitable. I don't buy the arguments girls are making to keep it single sex but admire them for standing up for what they believe in against the majority. It is an outstanding school but there many equally good or better mixed schools in Glasgow and beyond. Is single sex schooling really needed? Is it really "unfair" on boys in the catchment area?

www.glasgowlive.co.uk/news/glasgow-news/notre-dame-high-school-boys-17329912

Poissonpoison Sun 01-Dec-19 17:33:48

It's a shame to see it go, but ultimately it isnt fair, is it.

skql Sun 01-Dec-19 17:41:38

imo single sex school are good.
boy and girl both need that option.

but ...looks like inevitable.

SDTGisAnEvilWolefGenius Sun 01-Dec-19 17:47:31

I remember reading about some research that said that, while boys do better in mixed-sex schools, girls do better in single-sex schools. I think the gist of it was that the girls are more likely to speak up and participate in class if there are no boys there.

So the boys will benefit at the expense of the girls.

jellyfrizz Sun 01-Dec-19 17:51:31

I remember reading about some research that said that, while boys do better in mixed-sex schools, girls do better in single-sex schools.

www.bbc.com/news/amp/education-35419284#click=https://t.co/VKJatSFNEs

AndNoneForGretchenWieners Sun 01-Dec-19 17:51:50

Most single sex schools where I live have ceased to exist because pupil uptake decreased, making them financially unviable. The boys and girls schools already shared sixth form provision but were on the verge of closure because of low numbers in the rest of the school. The only exception is the Muslim ethos girls school which is both oversubscribed and outstanding. Most of the girls from Muslim backgrounds who would have gone to the existing girls' school switched to the new free school when it opened 4 years ago.

ChateauMyself Sun 01-Dec-19 17:55:55

I’ve also seen pieces about subject choice re single sex v co-Ed.

Larger uptake of science and maths for girls, larger uptake of languages for boys.

<too lazy to look for piece>

Isitme13 Sun 01-Dec-19 17:55:58

what were the arguments for it being unfair? I really don’t see how it could be seen as unfair.

My dd is at a single sex school. She absolutely loves it. She was at a mixed sex primary, and finds it so much better now.

CareOfPunts Sun 01-Dec-19 17:57:19

I think it’s a shame, I’ve had no dog in the race at all but Notre Dame has always been special, girls from all backgrounds including very poor came from all over the city to go, it was their chance to get a better education than that on offer in their catchment school. It has given opportunities to so many girls that wouldn’t otherwise have had them. It’s now just going to become A N Other leafy suburban high school largely attended by the privileged who are lucky that their parents can afford a house in catchment. Which I know makes it the same as every where else but as I said ND was always special

MakeMineALargeProsecco Sun 01-Dec-19 17:58:46

To be honest, if you want single-sex education, you should pay for it privately.

I'm from Glasgow & am pretty horrified we still have separate state-funded education - essentially Catholic or non-denomination.

Hopefully in years to come, religion will be taken out of education.

NovemberDays Sun 01-Dec-19 17:58:57

CareofPunts agree entirely, I think it is a shame

BarbaraStrozzi Sun 01-Dec-19 18:08:58

I have fond memories of my single sex comprehensive. I think they are bloody brilliant - they give girls the chance to try out a range of subjects without pressure around sex stereotyping (loads of girls did maths, physics, chemistry), and they provide an environment free from the threat, or indeed for all too many, the reality of sexual harassment.

scotsheather Sun 01-Dec-19 18:09:03

I definitely see the benefit of pupils from all over the city who consider it a better school than in their low SMID catchment area. I'm not convinced girls only is the answer. Maybe Glasgow could consider allowing placing requests for excellent schools from boys and girls, reserving some spaces for deprived areas perhaps, or.....improve schools in deprived areas.

CareOfPunts Sun 01-Dec-19 18:14:42

Yes @scotsheather maybe the city council will use any money saved in making ND Co Ed towards trying to close the attainment gap between privileged and deprived areas. Maybe in years to come these bloody awful “league tables” won’t be crammed full of schools at the top where only kids of parents who can afford a half a million pound house in catchment can get in. I won’t hold my breath though. hmm

WeDieAndSeeBeautyReign Sun 01-Dec-19 18:15:12

To be honest, if you want single-sex education, you should pay for it privately

I'm from Glasgow & am pretty horrified we still have separate state-funded education - essentially Catholic or non-denomination

I'm not from Glasgow but I agree. I don't think any religious school should be state funded.

WeDieAndSeeBeautyReign Sun 01-Dec-19 18:17:05

Maybe Sturgeon could actually do something about the state of Scottish education so that children are not dependent on private schools or a post code lottery. Education is within her purview- she can't blame Westminster for that.

SeasonalVag Sun 01-Dec-19 18:22:30

We actually left Glasgow because ND was never going to admit boys and we would have had to ship our boys to the male school which is crap, far away and has a poor reputation or did at the time.

Just want to point out that many spaces are are taken up by girls from the south side, which is a fair distance. Meanwhile after yearsof being educated together the boys are basically removed from their immediate surroundings and classmates and bussed off. It's v unfair.

I don't think single sex education actually helps anybody, you need to learn to live alongside each other. I don't want to raise mysogynistic arseholes and a single sex school would be out of the question for my kids who don't even have female cousins.. They need to see girls and women for what we are and this cannot happen with social segregation like this.

MitziK Sun 01-Dec-19 18:24:52

Having attended a mixed school, worked in a mixed school and worked in a single sex one, I'd say that single sex provision is still a good idea. I don't think people realise just how relentless the harassment, toxic attitudes and domination of male children's needs to the detriment of girls' is.

A large number of girls from the mixed school I worked at made a point of applying to single sex schools for sixth form - and it wasn't the parents pushing for it, it was them. It wouldn't have suited me, but then again, maybe I would have actually got into higher education if I had?

But hey, how dare those uppity females from poorer families want the opportunity to have a space for education without boys present?

SeasonalVag Sun 01-Dec-19 18:32:33

But maybe parents teachers educators and policy makers need to actually work with the toxic domineering boys....and address the problem. I know its a problem, boys behaviour and attitudes in school..

Mine are quite timid. They too would suffer from an excess of toxic.domineering males.

lionheart Sun 01-Dec-19 19:36:51

More.

www.independent.co.uk/news/education/education-news/transgender-single-sex-schools-pupils-parents-gender-equality-a9217991.html

Birdsfoottrefoil Sun 01-Dec-19 19:42:50

use any money saved in making ND Co Ed

I believe it will cost £750,000 to make it co ed.

SDTGisAnEvilWolefGenius Sun 01-Dec-19 19:52:32

” But maybe parents teachers educators and policy makers need to actually work with the toxic domineering boys....and address the problem. I know its a problem, boys behaviour and attitudes in school..”

I agree 100%, @SeasonalVag.

Birdsfoottrefoil Sun 01-Dec-19 20:01:46

lionheart once again distorting the Equality Act according to Stonewall Law. The Equality Act is clear about allowing single sex schools.

CareOfPunts Sun 01-Dec-19 20:03:46

I believe it will cost £750,000 to make it co ed.

Yeah, to get toilets, changing rooms etc it will but I don’t know after that.

SonEtLumiere Sun 01-Dec-19 20:08:28

It is such a pity that single sex provision is seen as “religious”. Given that girls perform better without boys there is a good case to be made for non-denominational single sex schools.

I would also say that given the number of sexual assaults in secondary schools, single sex provision ought to be available to all girls that choose it.

scotsheather Sun 01-Dec-19 20:32:11

There is currently no provision in law for a child to be anything other than their birth sex (biological sex) at least until 18. I'm not sure what argument is making schools cave in to that, its crystal clear. No parliament is proposing to bring such provisions for children, but lowering to 16 was suggested here which would affect upper years.

lionheart Sun 01-Dec-19 20:51:17

I did some dire Allsorts training recently Bird and the person running it said in very precise terms you cannot exclude a transgender child from using the bathroom or changing room they choose. 'It is illegal'.

Stonewall Law indeed.

MitziK Sun 01-Dec-19 22:42:13

@SeasonalVag, it's not girls' responsibility to suffer whilst the boys are consistently unfixable, seeing as sexual assault and harassment has been going on for time immemorial - at least single sex schools were an option for some, more so with the grammar system.

SarahTancredi Sun 01-Dec-19 22:50:47

I think it's awful. Everyone knows girls fo better in single sex schools.

I used to be one of those who felt that " girls needed to learn to.live and learn along side boys" now I know the reality is that really what that means is girls need to learn to put up with sexual harassment misogyny and biases. That their sole worth is merely behaviour control and buffer zones. The ease at which people will assign girls to a lifetime of being stereotyped out of subjects and being used for classroom management is disturbing.

Why do girls get thrown under a bus at every opportunity. Why should they suffer and not get good grades just because a boys school likes away is shit.

Fuck off

PuertoVallarta Mon 02-Dec-19 05:52:53

Girls schools seem great, but to be honest they were never accessible to all girls who wanted to attend one, anyway.

MakeMineALargeProsecco Mon 02-Dec-19 07:13:49

I think a lot of posters commenting here don't fully understand the Scottish education system.

Girl's only schooling is only accessible in the private system. State pupils have the option of non-denominational or Catholic school. Schools work by catchment area.

Notre Dame is the only single-sex school left in the country; so it excludes not just boys but takes in non-catchment children who wish a Catholic education.

SarahTancredi Mon 02-Dec-19 07:28:43

Catholic schools dont usually have a catchment area though do they?

You go to your nearest one?

Which is why it surprised me when they built a new secondary school and made it a catholic one cos all the kids are bussed in to the grammas or get in from outside the local.area while the locals struggle for spaces.

Not an idea set up however given school spaces are a problem.that is on going and set to get worse , it seems pretty petty to ruin things for those that get in just because no one else has a chance.

Someone may as well get the benefit.

Birdsfoottrefoil Mon 02-Dec-19 07:31:38

Catchments for catholic schools are different to non-denominational schools; children would be in a (larger) catchment zone for a catholic school and a (smaller) catchment zone for a non-denominational school. Boys and non-catholic girls living in the ND catchment would be in a catchment for a non-denominational school as well. Catholic girls from elsewhere in the city are still ‘in catchment’.

RoyalCorgi Mon 02-Dec-19 07:34:35

Single-sex schools are valuable because girls are at risk of sexual assault in mixed schools.

From a BBC piece:

"In September 2015, a BBC investigation revealed there were 5,500 sexual offences recorded in UK schools between 2011 and 2014."

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-41836303

Aside from that, girls tend to perform better educationally in single-sex schools because they are not being intimidated by boys who tend to take up more of the teachers' attention, talk more in class, shout over girls etc.

stucknoue Mon 02-Dec-19 07:54:18

I had to send my kids out of area because the local school was single sex, no way would I send my girls to such a place, they like "boys" stuff and the extra curricular at the girls school was inappropriate,plus my autistic dd would have struggled immensely - at her mixed school she captained the chess team, there was no chess at the girls school!

FamilyOfAliens Mon 02-Dec-19 08:00:24

I had to send my kids out of area because the local school was single sex, no way would I send my girls to such a place, they like "boys" stuff

What’s “boys’ stuff”?

Birdsfoottrefoil Mon 02-Dec-19 08:09:42

There was no chess club at my friend’s daughter’s girls school. One of the girls (friend’s daughter) set one up. There is now a popular chess club at our local girls school... ...along with coding, electronics, engineering clubs (and others) and unlike the mixed sex schools where these clubs are wholly populated by boys, in the girls school girls get the chance to do them and not feel an outsider in doing so.

SarahTancredi Mon 02-Dec-19 08:11:56

Surely the whole point of a girls school is that they get to do " boys stuff" whatever the f* that is hmm without being told they cant do it or being one of 2 girls in a level physics

If the school isnt suitable or wouldbt fit your child fine but I doubt its cos of its single sex status.
Girls take up far more stem subjects in single sex schools. And they usually dont get stuck.doing netball and hockey while boys do football and rugby.

Birdsfoottrefoil Mon 02-Dec-19 08:22:52

Exactly! In girls’ school there isn’t any ‘boys stuff’ because it is recognised that there is just ‘stuff’ which girls can do to without being told it belongs to boys!

CareOfPunts Mon 02-Dec-19 09:09:50

*Catholic schools dont usually have a catchment area though do they?

You go to your nearest one?*

They do up here in the same way as non denominational schools, it can either be a geographical catchment area or linked to the feeder primary schools

Separately plenty of non Catholic girls go to ND it has a large proportion of Muslim girls for example

CareOfPunts Mon 02-Dec-19 09:14:57

*It seems pretty petty to ruin things for those that get in just because no one else has a chance.

Someone may as well get the benefit*

I agree. OK sending girls to ND doesn’t do a huge amount given the scale of the problem to close the overall attainment gap between more affluent and poor but it does at least help those girls from poor areas who get to go to ND. Now they’ll be stuck with their catchment school even if it’s failing. I think it’s a real shame.

Birdsfoottrefoil Mon 02-Dec-19 15:05:59

Indeed, SeasonalVag didn’t want her sons to go to the poorly performing school; she wanted them to go to the well performing girls school and other people’s girls to go to the poorly performing school instead. Not blaming her; we all want our kids to go to the best school but once again those who pay the price are girls.

XXMansplainShieldActive Mon 02-Dec-19 21:42:15

Girls lose opportunity again. sad

WeDieAndSeeBeautyReign Tue 03-Dec-19 03:32:23

Girl's only schooling is only accessible in the private system
And even there many (the majority?) are co-ed. The very successful private school my son attended is co-ed.
State pupils have the option of non-denominational or Catholic school. Schools work by catchment area

Some state pupils have this option if you are Catholic or willing to compromise your principles. The provision of state Catholic schools is wholly unjustified.

Notre Dame is the only single-sex school left in the country; so it excludes not just boys but takes in non-catchment children who wish a Catholic education

If you want this sort of choice - pay for it.

Why do girls get thrown under a bus at every opportunity - they are not getting thrown under a bus. One school which is an unjustifiable anomaly is being closed.

SonEtLumiere Tue 03-Dec-19 05:40:06

One school which is an unjustifiable anomaly is being closed.

Single sex schooling, especially secondary is very justifiable. That’s what choice means.

MakeMineALargeProsecco Tue 03-Dec-19 07:05:19

@SonEtLumiere - not in the state system in Scotland.

It is the only girl's Catholic school in the whole bloody country!

There are private girls schools if you want to exercise your choice.

Birdsfoottrefoil Tue 03-Dec-19 07:22:25

The very successful private school my son attended is co-ed.

What has that got to do with the price of eggs?

If you want this sort of choice - pay for it

Not everyone is at privileged as you, why should only a select few like you get this choice?

The provision of state Catholic schools is wholly unjustified

Why? Why should there only be the option of attending Protestant schools?

MakeMineALargeProsecco Tue 03-Dec-19 07:29:32

@Birdsfoottrefoil - Scottish children go to either a non-denominational or Catholic school within catchment. So Catholics & Protestants are educated separately, dating back hundreds of years.

This fuels the Sectarianism we have in the West of Scotland & no longer sits in line with our increasingly secular society, or takes account of a multi faiths.

I'd like to see faith/religion taken out of education completely.

CareOfPunts Tue 03-Dec-19 07:45:54

Catholic schools take non Catholic children.

CareOfPunts Tue 03-Dec-19 07:47:51

And some people can’t afford to pay for it. So only people with money get a choice in the education system while the rest if they are not lucky enough to be able to afford to live in a “naice” area with a good school have to put up with any old rubbish?

SonEtLumiere Tue 03-Dec-19 07:55:49

The point is that you are conflating Catholic with segregated. There is no reason at all for the state not to provide sex-segregated education (non-religious) if parents want it. Enough parents do want it that it should be a state provided option.

ThunderboltandLightning Tue 03-Dec-19 07:57:16

I completely disagree that people should have to go private to get single sex education. There should be choice for all, not being limited by lack of wealth. And I say that as parent who has the good fortune to be able to afford private. I also went to an all girl's independent school, where we did 'boy' stuff without gawking and interference from boys. Hence I, and several of my classmates, went on to professions that were not considered female at that time <old gimmer>. I was a painfully shy, awkward geek of a teen who would have hated a mixed sex education and would have sunk to the bottom. Everyone should be able to choose an education appropriate to their child.

WeDieAndSeeBeautyReign Tue 03-Dec-19 09:08:33

Single sex schooling, especially secondary is very justifiable. That’s what choice means

There isn't single sex state provision in Scotland. There is some in the private sector but even there many (most? ) are co-ed.

Why? Why should there only be the option of attending Protestant schools?

What a daft comment. There are no "Protestant" schools in Scotland. Personally I would ban all religious schools- certainly in the state sector.

WeDieAndSeeBeautyReign Tue 03-Dec-19 09:10:21

There is no reason at all for the state not to provide sex-segregated education (non-religious) if parents want it. Enough parents do want it that it should be a state provided option

I don't think it should be an option. I'm completely unconvincing by the arguments put forward for it.

Sillydoggy Tue 03-Dec-19 09:17:45

Once again the girls lose out. Can’t they have anything to benefit them?

There is enough sexual harassment in schools to justify girl only let alone the educational benefits. I think this is such a disappointing decision. I don’t see why only girls with parents well enough off to pay for private should see the benefits of girls single sex education.

Birdsfoottrefoil Tue 03-Dec-19 09:30:07

There are no "Protestant" schools in Scotland

All schools that are not Catholic are Protestant (non-denominational). That is why Catholic schools are offered as an alternative. There are no secular state schools in Scotland.

SonEtLumiere Tue 03-Dec-19 09:53:18

I don't think it should be an option. I'm completely unconvincing by the arguments put forward for it.

Can I just ask what you think those arguments are, (key points) just so we can have the same understanding. And what you find unconvincing about them?

SarahTancredi Tue 03-Dec-19 09:54:48

So sexual harassment

Sitting In class with their rapists

Lack of stem take up.

Use of girls as behaviour management/crowd control

Being forced to pee and change san pro next to boys

The fact they do far better in single sex settings

Are not convincing arguments?

The only reason for co ed is that boys do better hmm

thatdamnwoman Tue 03-Dec-19 13:15:20

Girls do better in single-sex schools. And of course now that they're not actively discriminated against, girls are doing far better at all levels of education. (Girls used to out-perform boys in things like the 11+ but examining boards used to mark the girls down so as not to upset things).

There's lots of evidence that when boys are out of the picture girls thrive. Put boys in the classroom and girls don't speak up and don't demonstrate how clever they are because boys don't like clever girls and so on.

How is it 'fair' to deprive ordinary girls from ordinary backgrounds (as opposed to those whose families can afford private education) the right to thrive in a single-sex school?

SarahTancredi Tue 03-Dec-19 13:21:36

Girls do better in single-sex schools. And of course now that they're not actively discriminated against, girls are doing far better at all levels of education. (Girls used to out-perform boys in things like the 11+ but examining boards used to mark the girls down so as not to upset things)

I think that's the crux if the matter isnt it. I mean girls having to be marked down, girls schools being forced to admit boys, werent girls applications for med school in Japan ignored ? Even the gcse format has been changed in a way that was supposed to make it so boys could do better. Still, girls out perform boys.

I think it pisses everyone off. How dare girls come from poor areas having historically been denied an education at all and do better than boys...

Sillydoggy Tue 03-Dec-19 13:22:10

With the list of issues girls face I suspect it is actually indirect discrimination to force girls to go to a mixed school.

EndoplasmicReticulum Tue 03-Dec-19 14:02:21

Not about this case directly but related I think - seems like "single sex schools" aren't going to be around much longer in any case.
www.independent.co.uk/news/education/education-news/transgender-single-sex-schools-pupils-parents-gender-equality-a9217991.html

MitziK Tue 03-Dec-19 17:40:09

Where I live, there are both mixed and single sex Catholic Schools.

Guess which two are the highest performing ones? That's right, the single sex ones.

There are also both mixed and single sex Independent Schools.

Guess which ones are the highest performing? That's right, the single sex ones.

In the next borough along, there are both mixed and single sex State Schools.

Can you guess where I'm going with this? Yup, the highest performing ones are the single sex ones.

Catholic - well, Faith, Schools, as I've also worked in CofE and colleagues have worked in the small number of other faith schools - attract and admit all abilities and social backgrounds - the determining factor upon admission is the families' having a religious belief and, where oversubscribed, being a practising Catholic/Anglican/Hindu/Muslim/whatever.

To remove children's access to a different school results in, frankly, shit schools in poor areas and outstanding schools in wealthier ones.

This seems to be deliberately taking access to a good school away from 50% of the future students purely because they are female and they don't deserve it as much as boys.

It's no different in my mind to having two girls tie to win a competition and being told they can't both have it because a boy came 19th but he's a boy, so has to have one of the prizes.

SonEtLumiere Tue 03-Dec-19 19:01:52

This seems to be deliberately taking access to a good school away from 50% of the future students purely because they are female

Exactly!

CareOfPunts Tue 03-Dec-19 21:23:46

To remove children's access to a different school results in, frankly, shit schools in poor areas and outstanding schools in wealthier ones.

Exactly what we have up here. ND gave girls from poor areas a chance. Now it’s gone. I think it’s awful.

SonEtLumiere Tue 03-Dec-19 21:46:39

Yes punish poverty by giving children the worst possible education.
The director of the PISA report says interesting stuff about that today.

Velveteenfruitbowl Tue 03-Dec-19 21:52:26

It’s very sad that children of parents who are too poor or too uncaring to go private don’t get the option of single sex education. It was truly wonderful and empowering to go through puberty exclusively with girls who were going through exactly the same day in day out. The body acceptance and the complete freedom of an environment where there was no gender inequality has made me 100% comfortable with myself as a woman. What a shame.

Velveteenfruitbowl Tue 03-Dec-19 21:57:38

@WeDieAndSeeBeautyReign so don’t send your kid to one. It’s bad enough that the state is responsible for educating 90% of the population, if you allow the state to dictate how that 90% should be educated it’s like letting the fox into the chicken coop. If parents want their children in sex segregated schooling surely that’s their choice, not yours and most certainly not the governments.

WeDieAndSeeBeautyReign Tue 03-Dec-19 22:22:33

All schools that are not Catholic are Protestant (non-denominational). That is why Catholic schools are offered as an alternative. There are no secular state schools in Scotland

There no schools in Scotland which promote Protestant ideology in the way Catholic schools do. Schools are non-denominational- not Protestant.

The reason there are Catholic schools has nothing to do with offering an alternative to Catholic parents an alternative to (the horror of having to send their children to ) "Protestant " schools. The existence of Catholic schools was demanded as a concession by the Church for the schools being handed over to local authority control for nothing. The local authorities have long since paid that debt up by having to maintain them at the public cost.

There is no justification for the public having to pay for state Catholic education.

WeDieAndSeeBeautyReign Tue 03-Dec-19 22:24:12

ND gave girls from poor areas a chance

It gave Catholic girls a chance. It is grossly unfair that the state purse should pay for this.

CareOfPunts Tue 03-Dec-19 22:43:43

It gave Catholic girls a chance. It is grossly unfair that the state purse should pay for this.

You don’t have to be Catholic to attend ND. It has a large proportion of Muslim girls for example.

dancemom Tue 03-Dec-19 22:46:44

@WeDieAndSeeBeautyReign

Notre Dame doesn't just admit catholic children. There is a higher percentage of non catholic than catholics attending.

This is because girls from across the city and from areas that are historically deprived choose this school to access facilities and an education they would not receive otherwise.

But yes, let's remove this option from deprived young women to placate the affluent young men who already reside in the area and have multiple other options available to them.

CareOfPunts Tue 03-Dec-19 22:52:01

Totally agree @dancemom

YouSawThePlans Tue 03-Dec-19 22:53:47

We did have a thread about this when the decision was announced. I think it's ridiculous that they've decided to make it co-ed. Yet again, this isn't about campaigning for boys to have the same access. It's about taking an advantage away from girls.

It's also, as a PP admitted, about parents in the West end not wanting their boys to attend a school outwith the west end where they may have to mix with a more varied demographic.

There was no valid reason to change ND. It had excellent results. Pupils came from across the city (not just the South side - many came from the East end too). It closed the attainment gap. It encouraged girls into STEM. It provided an important option for Muslim girls.

Changing it to co-ed sends a very clear message that the convenience of middle class boys is more important than the educational attainment of girls.

I hope they launch a judicial review. The equality impact assessment was laughably poor and the timeline of the decision making process seems questionable, not to mention they ignored the results of the consultation and framed it in such a way that one of the responses contradicted the LA's education priorities so those responses could be discounted.

Birdsfoottrefoil Tue 03-Dec-19 22:57:40

Schools are non-denominational- not Protestant

Non-denominational means they are not Methodist, presbyterian, free Kirk, Unitarian, Baptist, episcopalian, Pentecostal, Lutheran etc. Not that they are not Protestant. They certainly aren’t Coptic or Othodox!

BigChocFrenzy Tue 03-Dec-19 23:04:15

I went to a girls grammar in England, non-religious

I'm an Aspie and I already had suffered from being bullied, beaten and racially abused by boys at primary
Even at that age, there was sexual harassment in the final 2 years.

I don't think I'd have ended up a STEM PhD if I'd gone to mixed school.
In fact I'd probably have left school at 15, which was legal then

I needed the safe place from 11-18 to develop, without harassment and with my full share of the teacher's attention

Once I was at uni, I could cope much better with boys, because we were all more grown up and not trapped togethr in classrooms all day

Girls overall do better in single sex schools
We should be increasing the number of non-religious girls' schools
I'd like girls today to have the same safe space that I had, when I needed it

madeyemoodysmum Tue 03-Dec-19 23:07:58

Place marking

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »