Talk

Advanced search

Getting Loos Right

(10 Posts)
WomanBornNotWorn Sun 01-Dec-19 11:05:16

I was at a smallish venue yesterday and looking for the loo I saw the door with one of those half-trousered / half-skirted figures on it.

Hackles rising, I then looked closer - and saw on the left another door, with ladies and baby change sign.

On the right a third door, with gents and baby change sign.

Then I noticed the mixed one also had a changing places sign.

Sorted. If a little venue can get their act together so absolutely everyone is dignified and comfortable why can't they all???

MarcyFromCleveland Sun 01-Dec-19 11:10:16

They probably can, but as the recent Center Parcs stuff on twitter shows, and the case of a trans identified boy gaining access to the girl’ changing room in a school in USA, that’s not good enough.
In both cases private cubicles are available - either gender neutral or private within the girls’ changing area.
Total validation, access all areas, or it’s bigoted transphobia.

Natsku Sun 01-Dec-19 12:25:04

I've seen toilets done really well too, there was the gents, then next to it was the unisex loo (rather cringy picture of a mermaid and a centaur on the door though) and then there were three, THREE, ladies loos. And all the toilets, except for one of the ladies, were big enough to take in a pram/accompanying children in with you.

Inebriati Sun 01-Dec-19 15:22:38

I think its a good idea to give feedback to the venue.

Babdoc Sun 01-Dec-19 17:34:51

I’ve made a point of always praising the single sex loos at my local theatre whenever they send me a feedback form after a show. I’m boycotting a rival theatre that allows any men who “feel more comfortable there” into the ladies. They obviously don’t give a shit how uncomfortable the women are with that.

thirdfiddle Sun 01-Dec-19 18:11:23

How sensible, simple and inoffensive. star star star

WomanBornNotWorn Mon 02-Dec-19 00:15:44

I think I will include happy feedback on the loos in my thank you for the invitation email.

GenderCriticalPotato Mon 02-Dec-19 05:11:33

So they’ve decided that non disabled people should co-opt the disabled loo

That’s not progressive, that’s stealing facilities from some of the most vulnerable people in society

thirdfiddle Mon 02-Dec-19 14:00:48

Oh do you think GenderCritical? I read it as they'd made all three accessible, but only one Changing Places. That seemed reasonable for a small venue.

thirdfiddle Mon 02-Dec-19 14:02:17

I think I may have been mixing up OP with a later poster. Was their disabled too OP?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »