Talk

Advanced search

I hope you never have children- Labour and self id

(99 Posts)
woollysocksaresexy Sat 30-Nov-19 15:39:16

Labour have just knocked on my door campaigning. After listening to their much rehearsed answers on Brexit (I am very pro remain) I asked them about their policy on self ID. She didn't know what self ID was. Then, when I explained it further, she said "I hope you never have children" and walked off. I am extremely upset. I am about as far from a judgy rightwinger as its possible to get. I just happen to have concerns about women's rights as well as trans rights. Why cant I ask a campaigner about this without being insulted? I am just terribly upset that she appears to be judging me like this. For what it's worth, I have a brilliant woman labour MP, who I voted for last time. This time? Not after this.

KatvonHostileExtremist Sat 30-Nov-19 20:42:06

Are they ever up to it?

theflushedzebra Sat 30-Nov-19 20:43:05

The pattern normally goes - Mild namecalling -> Appeal to sympathy -> Full on abusive.

GiloulovesLaure Sat 30-Nov-19 21:35:51

Never mind rudeness, that was an appallingly crass response from the canvasser. For all they know , they could have been talking to a woman who is desperate for a child but cannot conceive, or who has lost a child or who does not see her child/children for any number of reasons.

LunchBoxPolice Sat 30-Nov-19 21:39:45

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

koshkat Sat 30-Nov-19 21:47:50

What a weird post LBP. Is that all you came on the thread to say?

CaptainKirksSpikeyGhost Sat 30-Nov-19 21:53:47

I missed what PinkyU said, was it to me?

theflushedzebra Sat 30-Nov-19 21:57:36

It was an "F off" Captain - either to you or me, (or both of us!) I'd say.

CaptainKirksSpikeyGhost Sat 30-Nov-19 21:58:59

Ah okay.
Thanks theflushedzebra

IWantADifferentName Sat 30-Nov-19 22:45:47

WoolySocks - please, please, please let both your MP and your local party know about the canvasser and why you won’t be voting for them. Your MP deserves to know, particularly if she is an otherwise good MP as they are doing a disservice to her by representing her in that way. The local party should now because the canvasser should not have acted that way and is prevented from doing so electoral canvassing rules.

Milanimilani Sun 01-Dec-19 07:58:06

Thats so shocking [to return to the purpose of the thread]. Who goes around saying things like this while canvassing? Its bad enough coming across nutters on the bus without canvassers knocking on your door

“Hi there please vote labour”
“What about self-id?”
“Get away from me demon spawn independent-thinking hag!”
shock

wrongsideofhistorymyarse Sun 01-Dec-19 09:02:33

That's shocking. Please complain.

AlwaysTawnyOwl Sun 01-Dec-19 22:14:56

Certainly complain. Canvassers cannot knock on your door, randomly insult you, and then walk off.

Aaarrgghhh Mon 02-Dec-19 01:38:07

I think regardless of what you said and for the record, I agree with you. Her response was rude and uncalled for. Much better ways to handle that and she chose poorly.

Beamur Mon 02-Dec-19 10:54:50

Seems to be a theme.
Ocado, Always, Aviva, M&S, John Lewis, Labour party...
Women ask about changes to policies, etc. that disadvantage them and get told to piss off.

Fishcakey Mon 02-Dec-19 21:55:29

I wouldn't know what Self ID was if it hit me in the face!

OldCrone Mon 02-Dec-19 22:18:58

I wouldn't know what Self ID was if it hit me in the face!

I don't know if you're serious about that, but assuming you are, this is what it means.

It means that you can choose whether to be legally recognised as male or female, and have a new birth certificate stating your chosen sex. This is irrespective of what sex you actually are. So if you're female, you could choose to be legally recognised as male, and vice versa.

Sounds insane? You may be surprised to hear that some countries already do this. Ireland and Malta for example.

Fishcakey Mon 02-Dec-19 22:20:40

@OldCrone I was serious. I'm not very enlightened. Does it make me awful that my first reaction on reading that was what the actual ..... ?????

CaptainKirksSpikeyGhost Mon 02-Dec-19 22:23:23

Basically right now getting a GRC (Gender recognition certificate) requires a person to either have a diagnoses of Gender Dysphoria or to have had surgery, Self ID replaces this with just filling in a form.

Fishcakey Mon 02-Dec-19 22:24:29

It's awful! The most terrible people could use it for such wrong reasons! I never knew this was even a possibility.

CaptainKirksSpikeyGhost Mon 02-Dec-19 22:25:40

The gate keeping is there for a reason:

www.cambridge.org/core/services/aop-cambridge-core/content/view/6B5F217162ABD9B3189F2EB82787034E/S1758320900012695a.pdf/gender_reassignment_5_years_of_referrals_in_oxfordshire.pdf

This study shows that it works, here out of 39 people 2 were rejected for a GRC for being peadophiles...

Self ID removes this.

LangCleg Mon 02-Dec-19 22:28:38

It's awful! The most terrible people could use it for such wrong reasons! I never knew this was even a possibility.

You can change the sex marker on your passport and your driving licence now, just by ringing up and asking. Hospital wards are self-ID. Being a girl guide leader is self-ID. Almost everything already is self-ID.

Fishcakey Mon 02-Dec-19 22:32:07

@LangCleg I'm sorry to sound so thick about this but you actually need no proof to do this??

theflushedzebra Mon 02-Dec-19 22:38:44

You used to need a letter from the GP I think. Not sure if that's still the case.

Multiple organisations (inc schools, hospitals, the police, govt departments, the NHS) are all acting like gender self ID is law already.

Labour allows transwomen without a GRC onto their all women shortlists - and stated they were deliberately "acting ahead of the anticipated law change" - and are fighting this in court.

Yet, biological female is a protected characteristic under the law - and everyone ignores this.

TheProdigalKittensReturn Mon 02-Dec-19 22:42:08

I guess this is what happens when a party drives out all the female members who otherwise would have done the canvassing (properly, without pissing off potential voters).

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »