Talk

Advanced search

An insurance company now wishes to lecture us

(208 Posts)
JustHereWithMyPopcorn Wed 27-Nov-19 20:39:39

Aviva shared these lovely tweets today. I am actually insured with them but I will not be renewing. And they are not bothered by customers leaving, clearly.

ItsChristmaaaaaaaaas Tue 10-Dec-19 08:45:31

I found a pension statement from these guys when clearing up (from an old job).

It’s probably got 2”6d in it but worth a call...

PreseaCombatir Tue 03-Dec-19 22:30:08

What have channel 4 been up to then? Am I really delayed?
(I rarely watch live tv, only really watch Netflix, and occasionally some bbc or 4 on demand)

powershowerforanhour Tue 03-Dec-19 17:21:26

I don't think I'm particularly alphabetti-spaghetti phobic and used to happily play rugby with a fair few lesbians (the old fashioned kind). But if I'd been good enough to have played at Lansdowne Road the Aviva Stadium, I wouldn't have wanted to play against the new kind of lesbian, you know, the ones with bollocks and the height, weight and musculoskeletal strength to squash me.

Beamur Tue 03-Dec-19 16:50:18

I wonder if they will send out a questionnaire with their renewals so that they can check the thinking of their customers and ditch any falling short of the required standard?

Michelleoftheresistance Tue 03-Dec-19 15:55:41

So push and push and shove your campaigns down everyone's throats.

Customers will be very fast bored with that. Plus when it becomes obviously 'look at us telling you about our virtue' it merely trains your customers to become cynical. And alienates any customer who disagrees with your particular politics, which kind of messes with the whole point of retail: make it easy for people to part with money.

Mind you, this is absolutely the time to set up a corporate and tagline it 'just selling you x without boring the living pants off you'.

Devereux1 Tue 03-Dec-19 15:35:28

@JustHereWithMyPopcorn - it's truly awful. I don't think I've ever seen such obnoxious, contempt for customers as Aviva.

Their Chief Executive and Board must have lost their marbles.

Ereshkigal Tue 03-Dec-19 15:34:37

The way Aviva are behaving on Twitter is identical to Channel 4's attitude, have you noticed? "We are right, we don't care about anyone who doesn't agree with us, don't watch us then, don't buy our policies, we don't give a damn."

Spot on. I think that campaign is misjudged.

Devereux1 Tue 03-Dec-19 15:31:55

Still baffled as to why an insurance company has managed to muddle 'sell insurance'

Somewhere in every major corporate now is a Diversity Manager who, out of through fear of being sued, fear of being accused of something unfair, desperation to appeal to some markets, and horror of finding protestors outside their door, the rest of the directors and shareholders have agreed to take on a senior role.

These Diversity Managers are the scourge of business today. Most senior people want nothing to do with them. But the Media department loves them, has probably worked with them before, and this is the new Social Responsibility efforts.

So someone like Stonewall will have people who go out to corporates and offer a link up, the Diversity Managers of the world are doing the same, and they all live in this crazy bubble of preaching. Anyone who disagrees with them is kicked out, or made to look bad.

It's the latest bandwagon. Advertising agencies everywhere are telling corporations (I've sat in on meetings, I've heard it) that now the message to the public shouldn't be about the money you make, it's about the good to you do in society. So push and push and shove your campaigns down everyone's throats.

The way Aviva are behaving on Twitter is identical to Channel 4's attitude, have you noticed? "We are right, we don't care about anyone who doesn't agree with us, don't watch us then, don't buy our policies, we don't give a damn."

So hit them where it hurts.

virginpinkmartini Tue 03-Dec-19 15:16:01

Why can't these companies 'stand in solidarity' with something useful, like families with terminally ill children, or premature babies. Oh shit, I forgot. Its not woke enough, and isn't the flavour of the month.

Michelleoftheresistance Tue 03-Dec-19 15:10:49

We'll reject your preaching until every man gets out of women's spaces.

Still baffled as to why an insurance company has managed to muddle 'sell insurance' with feeling entitled to 'preach' anything to anyone. It reminds me of the bar at university where a friend of mine having issues with his faith used to get blind drunk on a Friday night and then cling to random people as they passed, sobbing at them "are you saved ?"

Katie love. I never thought I was going to have to say this because until recently this was thought so obvious it wasn't necessary, but top of my list on requirements for insurers:

1) they're not pissed
2) they sell insurance not commit evangelism

Devereux1 Tue 03-Dec-19 14:35:40

Every woman should cancel their policies, and end their cancellation letter with:

"We'll reject your preaching until every man gets out of women's spaces. And if you care so much about equality in sport, why aren't you preaching about men competing against women?"

Aviva should not play any role in our lives. We're going through everything - house, car, contents, health insurances and anything else where they might be hidden.

LordProfFekkoThePenguinPhD Tue 03-Dec-19 14:30:55

wow - just went to look at their twitter account and their pinned tweet is from the fragrant Katie (brackets my own):

We'll preach until everyone is welcomed as an equal (apart from women) ~ Katie

LordProfFekkoThePenguinPhD Tue 03-Dec-19 14:29:44

www.aviva.co.uk/help-and-support/contact-us/complaints/?source=AFC1&entry=71921&cmp=afl-car-ncb-ocb-&awc=3798_1575383348_fa7a9a8e2c9e20683e6ec2bff351291c

Don't forget - companies do have to put their complaints procedure in writing...

Devereux1 Tue 03-Dec-19 14:27:08

I called Aviva and unbelievably, their customer service person claimed they knew nothing about the Twitter scandal. She went away for a very, very long time, came back and merely said she would take down "my concerns". It didn't feel like she was taking down anything. Then she said she was going to pass it to very same team who think it's ok to speak to customers so dreadfully as they are on Twitter at the moment, for men to come into women's changing rooms and for men to compete in women's sport.

So much for Aviva's "equality and fairness" campaign. What a load of tosh.

LordProfFekkoThePenguinPhD Tue 03-Dec-19 13:38:00

Have fun won’t you?

jakeyboy1 Tue 03-Dec-19 13:32:28

I cancelled my policy last night. They emailed today for feedback grin

pombear Sun 01-Dec-19 21:22:26

Given Jan Gooding's (trustee of Stonewall) previous employment with Aviva and Jan and the organisation getting all the rainbow awards over the years, I'm guessing it would be very difficult for Aviva to roll-back to admit that supporting LGBTQIA+ means supporting males in female sports, males in female spaces, males saying 'I am a woman' = male is a woman.

A tangled web they weave.

Your cognitive dissonance must be uncomfortable right now. But keep on attacking the people speaking out. I'm sure that'll play out well in the future hmm

Agrona Sun 01-Dec-19 21:09:19

I am getting adds for Aveda, the makeup on MN.

It made me do a double take as originally I thought it was an add for Aviva.

(Totally missing point of thread. Sorry.)

RaymondStopThat Sun 01-Dec-19 20:54:19

Haha. Pension fund, not fun. Although I might do something fun with some of it. And some will go to a women's charity.

RaymondStopThat Sun 01-Dec-19 20:52:40

I can, and will, withdraw a pension fun I have with them. It will give me great pleasure. Let's keep asking them the difficult questions.

WeBuiltCisCityOnSexistRoles Sun 01-Dec-19 12:46:44

I'm so annoyed I can't cancel my policy with them. Well at least the odds are in favour that it will pay out (this is not really good news obviously but maybe we will have the last fuck you laugh)

Needmoresleep Sun 01-Dec-19 11:31:07

Just looked them up. They are Norwich City Ladies. (Their is this weird thing where some clubs are ladies, others women. Perhaps, given the Clubs sponsor, they think the word woman has too elastic a meaning.)

Needmoresleep Sun 01-Dec-19 11:13:10

Aviva sponsor Norwich football club, a premier league side, and used to be major sponsors of the rugby premier league. They are not without influence. I wonder what the Norwich women’s team think of their sponsors enthusiasm for having men play for or against them in the name of inclusivity.

LordProfFekkoThePenguinPhD Sun 01-Dec-19 10:54:49

They don’t have a set out answer to push at the press of a button for that...

RaymondStopThat Sun 01-Dec-19 09:31:19

Interesting they are avoiding answering very simple questions about whether they support trans women competing in women's sport. It's all very well wearing the shoe laces, but any company promoting this kind of stuff needs to research the ideology behind it to ensure they agree with it and are willing to say so

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »