Talk

Advanced search

Non binary 12 year old on Today Program

(85 Posts)
PancakeAndKeith Thu 10-Oct-19 07:55:23

Quick post as I’m getting ready for work.

Boy said he was non binary and talked about how he didn’t feel that he fitted in.
However everyone referred to him by a male name and called him him.

It struck me that he was a very articulate and sensitive boy who was never going to fit in with the standard idea of masculinity. I wonder if he is struggling and the more gendered world of high school.

It’s a shame that children like him feel that they have to tie themselves in knots just because they don’t fit in with a stereotype.

LordProfFekkoThePenguinPhD Thu 10-Oct-19 15:38:12

Dog just got it! Arf 🦇

squishee Thu 10-Oct-19 16:01:21

And now it's dogs? Honestly.

squishee Thu 10-Oct-19 16:19:36

Anyway, to get back on-topic. As per a PP, how is it better to reject the binary reality so much as to become "trinary"?

BarbaraStrozzi Thu 10-Oct-19 16:33:43

"whatabattery". [grin,]

Coffeeandchocolate9 Thu 10-Oct-19 18:52:00

I asked my dog and she said despite a hysterectomy she's definitely still female. What a bitch.

SonicVersusGynaephobia Thu 10-Oct-19 19:16:26

and a body without breasts (a female secondary sexual characteristic) is not "non-binary" - it's seeing a male body as the default or neutral or the "universal."

Very good point "Mouthy*, hadn't occurred to me before.

It disturbed me in the Scottish census committee they had ths Scottish Trans Alliance non-binary (female) Vic Valentine in, and when someone (maybe Joan) mentioned that the data would be used for planning healthcare etc, Vic casually mentioned that lots of non-binary females probably have hysterectomies so sex data wasn't relevant for cervical screening numbers. hmm

Anyway... Stephanie was fantastic. Flawless. She came across as very caring and compassionate, and got all her points in clearly; it was great NR allowed her to speak.

truthisarevolutionaryact Thu 10-Oct-19 19:23:12

Just listened to this on catch up and yes, Stephanie was outstanding.
Clear, knowledgeable and respectful about children. She really knows her stuff.

MrGHardy Thu 10-Oct-19 20:19:26

"Boy said he was non binary and talked about how he didn’t feel that he fitted in."

NB is basically saying "my personality doesn't fit stereotypes of boy/girl".

That is all it is. The world is going crazy.

WineTastingNotTimeWasting Thu 10-Oct-19 23:17:47

Quite frankly he sounded like a pompous arse

Durgasarrow Thu 10-Oct-19 23:44:30

He can call himself whatever he wants, that doesn't make him something that doesn't fucking exist. Grown-ups shouldn't give airtime to children making shit up.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »