Talk

Advanced search

Bunbury's guide to community disruptors part 4

(321 Posts)
BarbaraStrozzi Fri 13-Sep-19 08:33:03

Thought it was time for another of these. I'll just cut-and-paste the opening of the last thread:

The useful Bunbury Guide to Spotting Community Disruptors is constantly evolving.

The best research and advice is not to engage with community disruptors and trolls. As ever, if you suspect troll activity, report it to MNHQ.

This is a continuation of the first Public Service Announcement thread:

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/womens_rights/3438714-Bunbury-s-Public-Service-Announcement-2

Thread 3 was deleted with this note from MNHQ; We're sure there will be a Bunbury 4 around soon, but we'd be grateful if we could draw a line under the issues raised in this thread if there's to be a new one.

If and when you see threads plopped into FWR, especially a curious repeat of well worn topics, maybe check for poster history before engaging.

There are a number of posts/posters/threads that are reproduced on Twitter or Facebook to foment controversy using screen shots & flagging to either MNHQ to have threads or posters deleted. Sometimes, it’s used to approach commissioning editors with ideas for articles. It’s a tiresome tactic that we’ve had several community disruptor posters who themselves post the comments that they then highlight elsewhere as purported evidence of racism, religious intolerance, anti-men sentiments, or transphobia.

Some helpful links can be found in the first posts on thread 2 (linked above) but in essence FermatsTheorem recommended “that in the absence of a block/hide poster button, I suggest the following strategy (given that you're talking to the lurkers).

Do not name check the sealion. Instead, respond to a depersonalised paraphrase:

"It is sometimes erroneously suggested that blah. Blah is wrong for the following reasons (short and pithy). If you need more information re. debunking blah, here's a link."

Then (this next step is important to combat derailment) go back up thread to the last useful contribution to the discussion, make sure you do name check that contributor, and pick up the discussion from that point.”

Forgotthebins Fri 13-Dec-19 20:19:22

flowers Floral I always learnt from you and being married to a (progressive) Catholic I felt happy that there was another woman here who was better able than me to articulate things but also got that special "sometimes great but often maddening" issue with Catholicism. I hope things work out for you and maybe one day the culture will change and you will be able to write freely again.

LangCleg Fri 13-Dec-19 19:16:31

flowers Stop.

Yes to everything you said.

littlbrowndog Fri 13-Dec-19 18:50:25

🍷stop

StopThePlanet Fri 13-Dec-19 18:38:47

Thanks lady!

I don't really venture to other boards within MN much as the communication seems to be pretty harsh or shallow or a mixture of the two.

And yes I imagine it's a pain for the mods and can be shitty for them but the policing here is beyond controling.

Fortunately (for me) I'm still here for now. 🤓

Michelleoftheresistance Fri 13-Dec-19 18:08:35

Stop flowers

I ventured onto AIBU the other day for the first time in a long time. It's a blood bath. No holds barred, vicious, frequently really quite nasty. It really made me realise how very different the tone is on FWR, and yet FWR gets so vigorously moderated all the same.

On the other hand, I can only imagine what HQ get subjected to by the endlessly tedious stalkers of FWR. Roll on Maya and Harry's verdicts, they could well prove very helpful.

StopThePlanet Fri 13-Dec-19 15:11:14

I'm sick of this overzealous moderation.

If we can't discuss the implications of things that happen in the media, in the world, then what's the point of this board?

I'm so frustrated because it seems no matter where I turn in this world my voice gets deplatformed when speaking of sensitive issues. Disagreeing with each other is great it gives us the opportunity to have respectful discourse and learn from each other. Shutting people down or deleting their arguments because you don't like something that is said is fascist.

I will probably get banned after this because this will likely be my third deletion in less than a month, however, I received no emails or communications from MNHQ. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised as it is well known that MNHQ capitulates to dicks as protocol and silences women.

I used to see the space as a refuge - as a place to interact and gain insight as I continue to navigate the world. Since Detroit got pushed away in her time of extreme need I've been contemplating whether interacting here makes sense... silencing those in the throes of escaping abuse as well as survivors is a fucked up platform.

So, if this is my last post I just want to thank all of you that through your analysis and insight have taught me so much and helped me refine and in some cases completely reassess/change my perspectives.

A few posters have my email address so if you'd like to stay in touch with me (I hope you do!) either reach out to me before I am relegated to the 'unwanted camp' or ask around for my deets.

I love all of you for who you are - your differences and your similarities. Thank you for everything you have shared with me and for all of the threads I lurk on feeling like part of the convo. I cherish you deeply.

/STP out

Michelleoftheresistance Thu 12-Dec-19 21:38:20

Its always so interesting which threads attract and obviously are causing concern and ructions somewhere in the ether.

StopThePlanet Thu 12-Dec-19 17:58:53

Bye Floral - I know I'm probably too late for you to see this.

You will be missed as I'm sure you already know. Go well flowers your posts have made quite an impact. Thank you for all you've shared and brought to light.

DeeZastris Thu 12-Dec-19 17:19:52

Fairly blatant today.

nauticant Thu 12-Dec-19 17:13:55

Interesting and strange on the threads today isn't it? Plenty of posts saying what to think, what to do, what words mean, and the rest.

ChristmasMovie Thu 12-Dec-19 16:16:39

there's snow need to tell me that... fsmile

TheProdigalKittensReturn Thu 12-Dec-19 12:19:36

Just a reminder that offering snacks to the GFs tends to encourage them to return to the scene of the previous feeding!

TinselAngel Sun 08-Dec-19 11:30:35

There was also a lot of me-railing on it IIRC.

TinselAngel Sun 08-Dec-19 11:27:31

Remember the thread about trans men that was deleted a couple of weeks ago due to sock puppetting? I’m reminded of it.

wrongsideofhistorymyarse Sat 07-Dec-19 21:29:34

Floral flowers

Iamright solidarity. I've lost my relationship with my niece who's transitioning and it's badly damaged other family relationships. I'm heartbroken at it all. flowers

RufusthebewiIderedreindeer Sat 07-Dec-19 20:32:48

Sorry to see you go floral sad

TinselAngel Sat 07-Dec-19 18:19:11

* They spin me right round.*

Like a (broken) record?

I've reported too, of course.

TheProdigalKittensReturn Sat 07-Dec-19 18:17:51

Is one supposed to report PBPs, as a sort of public service?

LangCleg Sat 07-Dec-19 18:04:46

They spin me right round.

TinselAngel Sat 07-Dec-19 17:58:59

PBP's who are terrible at spelling are quite easy to spot.

AnyOldPrion Sat 07-Dec-19 16:39:39

I’m late too. Goodbye Floral, if you’re still reading. Thanks for your wonderful analysis.

Clymene Sat 07-Dec-19 15:23:19

Oh no, I'm very sad to read that sad

GCAcademic Sat 07-Dec-19 12:59:18

I've only just seen that Floral is going, and we are losing yet another brilliant poster sad

GrinitchSpinach Sat 07-Dec-19 12:24:49

flowers iamright

midcentury, isn’t Chart amazing? She grew up a Jehovah’s Witness and has written about heresy and shunning in this debate here:
womensliberationfront.org/shunning-and-democracy/

I really want to link her speech at the protest outside Human Rights Campaign in January, as I think it was even more powerful than the Supreme Court one, but it seems to have disappeared. sad I will keep looking to see if I can find a different link.

iamright17 Sat 07-Dec-19 00:45:47

I was deleted for saying a
'Cult is a cult. From a parent who also knows. Transgender cult has stolen my child.' Gonna get deleted again but hopefully more people will see this before my deletion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »