Talk

Advanced search

Bunbury's guide to community disruptors part 4

(328 Posts)
BarbaraStrozzi Fri 13-Sep-19 08:33:03

Thought it was time for another of these. I'll just cut-and-paste the opening of the last thread:

The useful Bunbury Guide to Spotting Community Disruptors is constantly evolving.

The best research and advice is not to engage with community disruptors and trolls. As ever, if you suspect troll activity, report it to MNHQ.

This is a continuation of the first Public Service Announcement thread:

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/womens_rights/3438714-Bunbury-s-Public-Service-Announcement-2

Thread 3 was deleted with this note from MNHQ; We're sure there will be a Bunbury 4 around soon, but we'd be grateful if we could draw a line under the issues raised in this thread if there's to be a new one.

If and when you see threads plopped into FWR, especially a curious repeat of well worn topics, maybe check for poster history before engaging.

There are a number of posts/posters/threads that are reproduced on Twitter or Facebook to foment controversy using screen shots & flagging to either MNHQ to have threads or posters deleted. Sometimes, it’s used to approach commissioning editors with ideas for articles. It’s a tiresome tactic that we’ve had several community disruptor posters who themselves post the comments that they then highlight elsewhere as purported evidence of racism, religious intolerance, anti-men sentiments, or transphobia.

Some helpful links can be found in the first posts on thread 2 (linked above) but in essence FermatsTheorem recommended “that in the absence of a block/hide poster button, I suggest the following strategy (given that you're talking to the lurkers).

Do not name check the sealion. Instead, respond to a depersonalised paraphrase:

"It is sometimes erroneously suggested that blah. Blah is wrong for the following reasons (short and pithy). If you need more information re. debunking blah, here's a link."

Then (this next step is important to combat derailment) go back up thread to the last useful contribution to the discussion, make sure you do name check that contributor, and pick up the discussion from that point.”

MoobaaMoobaa Sun 10-Nov-19 12:10:19

The email I got from them, after I started a thread asking them to reinstate and lock it, was just that it was a TAAT and they have no intention of reinstating the other thread.
Was from Gloria @ MNHQ

NotBadConsidering Sun 10-Nov-19 12:12:20

It’s the weekend I guess. I think it’s clear things are different on the weekends.

DickKerrLadies Sun 10-Nov-19 12:25:30

Oh FFS why not just delete the very few posts that were necessary.

It was a very informative post containing links to studies. There's no need at all to delete the whole thing.

TinselAngel Mon 11-Nov-19 19:05:04

Remind me what you call those big, swimming sea creatures with fins and tails that live on beaches? Germaine was particularly averse to them because they waste your energy?

I think they eat penguins.

BarbaraStrozzi Mon 11-Nov-19 19:28:42

Arf arf arf arf... clap clap clap.

Fish now please. With lengthy explanations, answers to my "oh so disingenuous" questions.

MonnaLIza Wed 20-Nov-19 09:28:46

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

ErrolTheDragon Wed 20-Nov-19 09:48:29

I think your post is ok, you're discussing a particularly unsettling type of troll rather than actually troll hunting. You're right - there's nothing that can really be done about PBPs (previously banned posters) who re-register, except to continue to report them as soon as you become suspicious. MNHQ don't mind at all reports like 'I'm not sure yet but I think this may be a PBP <details> , could you keep an eye on this please?". They may have a sufficiently distinctive posting style that it becomes obvious eventually.

I've no idea why people do this sort of thing, and what you describe does sound particularly bad. thanks

MonnaLIza Wed 20-Nov-19 09:58:16

Thank you Errol I will keep my eyes open! smile

ErrolTheDragon Wed 20-Nov-19 10:45:35

Not a Bunbury matter, and MNHQ may start a thread canvassing opinion but there's a discussion about whether we want to rationalise the feminism boards that some of you may be interested in.

https://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/womens_rights/3744783-What-is-the-dividing-line-between-feminism-chat-and-feminist-activism

TinselAngel Wed 20-Nov-19 23:21:44

Bump for obvious attempted traps, being obvious.

Creepster Thu 21-Nov-19 00:52:58

If Bunbury had ears they would have been burning.

HumberHellraiser Wed 27-Nov-19 00:56:26

Someone plopping on every thread tonight. Always best not to engage.

FloralBunting Wed 27-Nov-19 08:03:20

Incoming. Newsnight will have rattled plenty of cages, and narc rage will ensue.

BarbaraStrozzi Wed 27-Nov-19 08:19:35

Yup, just a reminder that the "hide thread" button is an immensely useful one when you suspect an OP is not in good faith.

MIdgebabe Wed 27-Nov-19 08:22:01

Not engage...not engage....ah....will try harder. They are just so nasty though

RadicalFern Wed 27-Nov-19 08:30:35

I came over here for a Madeira Cake recipe and all I got was this good sense advice. Is the cake a lie?

FloralBunting Wed 27-Nov-19 09:11:58

Tbh, they have to be snide and disingenuous here, at least. I've read some facebook comments towards a mum of a child involved in the trans cult this morning and Jesus, they were ripping her into tiny pieces, it was despicable.

HorseWithNoFucksToGive Wed 27-Nov-19 09:57:18

Would anyone put lemon in Madeira?

TheProdigalKittensReturn Wed 27-Nov-19 10:04:32

Is that the boozy one with rum? If so, no lemon please.

AnyOldPrion Sun 01-Dec-19 13:49:39

I need a Germaine Gin...

gin

Floisme Sun 01-Dec-19 13:56:15

Thanks for bumping, I was looking for this thread. I feel a bit like I'm in Star Wars, trying to weave my way through an asteroid belt.

AnyOldPrion Sun 01-Dec-19 14:01:02

I found it on page 3. No tits there though....

GCAcademic Sun 01-Dec-19 14:01:48

Is it me, or are they getting stupider?

AnyOldPrion Sun 01-Dec-19 14:03:30

Not you.

I’ve made some apple crumble. Would you like some?

TinselAngel Sun 01-Dec-19 14:43:44

Germaine always used to tell me to see if faux naive posters use the same name on Twitter. She said it can be very revealing.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »