Talk

Advanced search

Why can’t I point out the difference between sex and gender?

(30 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

ArabellaDoreenFig Wed 11-Sep-19 22:40:04

Had a thread deleted earlier because I said that a baby doesn’t have a gender it has a sex.

It’s the conflation of sex with gender that has led to the grotesque stereotypes we see today that desperately need unpicking.

Language matters @MNHQ

AncientLights Wed 11-Sep-19 22:44:12

Seriously?

Gingerkittykat Wed 11-Sep-19 22:44:57

Was in on the feminism boards?

It seems like an odd reason to cull a thread since it is a subject that I've seen discussed a few times here.

ErrolTheDragon Wed 11-Sep-19 22:46:36

That's surprising, someone always points it out on 'gender reveal' type threads. confused

ArabellaDoreenFig Wed 11-Sep-19 23:14:46

Shoot, I meant a post not a thread- sorry!

I’m getting pissed off that when discussions move beyond the FWR board we are told it’s not in the spirit if we post about enough conflation of sex and gender, it’s a huge issue which has caused untold damage but god forbid we try and tell people about it.

#genderisbullshit.

HandsOffMyRights Wed 11-Sep-19 23:28:23

I saw a baby/gender thread and thought about correcting, OP.

It never occured to me that stating a fact would be censored.

You've excelled yourselves MN

#sexnotgender

HandsOffMyRights Wed 11-Sep-19 23:31:33

To clarify: facts are regularly censored. I mean we all know what a woman is, yet frequently get deleted for stating the obvious.

I meant, it never occured to me that fact would be censored because as PP points out, correcting gender to sex is often seen on those threads.

Qcng Wed 11-Sep-19 23:42:21

Was it deleted at the weekend?
(different staff)

ArabellaDoreenFig Thu 12-Sep-19 17:32:31

No, it was yesterday.

I posted:

Sex. You mean sex not gender.

That was it.

TheShoesa Thu 12-Sep-19 18:08:24

Oh ffs, how the hell is that breaking talk guidelines?

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Thu 12-Sep-19 18:17:41

I was about to say that it seems as if the monitors are winning, then I remembered all of the other places that women have set up to discuss these issues now that we are unable to in other places.

Have a look at Spinster op if you haven't already - it's very new, but it's already proving quite good.

ArabellaDoreenFig Thu 12-Sep-19 21:06:05

I will have a look at Spinster, thanks for the recommendation.

HeadintheiClouds Thu 12-Sep-19 21:16:24

I’ve posted that loads of times and not been deleted. Some officious little twat must have reported you, but still, for them to suddenly decide it’s against guidelines... hmm

EmpressLesbianInChair Thu 12-Sep-19 21:20:58

I was about to say that it seems as if the monitors are winning, then I remembered all of the other places that women have set up to discuss these issues now that we are unable to in other places.

Yes. Also, if our merry band of misogynist monitors reported that surely they were being a bit stupid?

Because given how many genders there are and how you can’t possibly assume someone’s gender (unless they’re in pink or carrying a gold lame purse), it would be terribly transphobic to guess a baby’s gender before they were even born. Surely.

RosaWaiting Thu 12-Sep-19 22:55:20

I would contact MNHQ and ask.

CodenameVillanelle Thu 12-Sep-19 22:58:49

You'll probably get some mealy mouthed rubbish about how it's not supportive to point that out on a new parent thread. Next time just drop a link to FWR!

ArabellaDoreenFig Tue 17-Sep-19 13:36:32

Just updating you all to say - I still haven’t had a response from
@MNHQ to let me know why my post was deleted.

Qcng Tue 17-Sep-19 13:47:46

Huh. Weird.

Noqont Tue 17-Sep-19 13:50:31

Sex: a biological classification of which there are only two. Male.and female.

Babies don't have a gender. They do however have a biological sex.

Facts are not hate speech.

YetAnotherBeckyMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 17-Sep-19 14:41:00

Hello @ArabellaDoreenFig your post was reported as being goady - but having reviewed it, we admit we were a bit hasty as it's not breaking Talk Guidelines as far as we can see. We've now reinstated it.

SmellbowSpaceBowl Tue 17-Sep-19 14:46:51

I’ve been saying that for ages and never had a deletion...

0lga Tue 17-Sep-19 14:49:33

Good result OP.

And thanks for being willing to admit you ( or someone else ) was wrong @YetAnotherBeckyMumsnet

MrGsFancyNewVagina Tue 17-Sep-19 14:51:02

YetAnotherBeckyMumsnet I assume you have some new staff that are getting a little carried away with their new found ‘power’. Either that or They’re so bloody woke they’ve developed insomnia!

On the plus side, it is great that you actually acknowledge when a mistake has been made, so thank you.

TheProdigalKittensReturn Tue 17-Sep-19 14:54:33

Artistic rendering of the terminally woke seeing something that threatens their belief in gender?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJaS0R_sZxk

ArabellaDoreenFig Tue 17-Sep-19 15:02:02

YetAnotnotherBeckyMumsnet

Thanks for looking into this for me, and reinstating the post.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »