Talk

Advanced search

Vox by Christina Dalcher

(37 Posts)
endofthelinefinally Tue 10-Sep-19 22:25:50

Just started reading this. Thought provoking and topical.
Anybody else read it?

Ginandsonic Tue 10-Sep-19 22:40:48

It's in my to read pile!

Ereshkigal Tue 10-Sep-19 22:50:57

Mine too, I bought it for a holiday but not read it yet

LBOCS2 Tue 10-Sep-19 22:53:22

I really enjoyed it, but the ending felt a bit rushed. Creepy thought though.

catinavan Tue 10-Sep-19 22:53:59

Bloody awful

getupgonow Tue 10-Sep-19 22:54:34

I enjoyed it but was disappointed by the ending

endofthelinefinally Tue 10-Sep-19 22:54:54

DH bought it for me.
Amazingly he must have actually been listening to some of my recent rants.
I am getting stuck into it. It is chilling though.
I won't say any more. No spoilers.

endofthelinefinally Tue 10-Sep-19 22:55:39

Oh, don't tell me the ending!!!

WildImaginings Tue 10-Sep-19 22:59:33

I enjoyed it but the ending felt very rushed.

ahagwearsapointybonnet Tue 10-Sep-19 23:06:43

I agree about the ending! Rushed and got rather away from the points of the rest of it (IMO anyway). Also I found there were some frustrating gaps in terms of explaining some of the background, why those specific decisions had been made/how they were "sold" to people etc. But overall I did enjoy it and found it thought-provoking.

waryandbored Tue 10-Sep-19 23:07:21

I’m about halfway through this. I am enjoying it but find some aspects of it very sinister. It makes me angry and hopeful at the same time, if that makes sense!

endofthelinefinally Wed 11-Sep-19 12:01:16

I don't think the writing is that great tbh, but enjoying the story.

I am currently re-reading The Women's room by Marylin French. Realising how little has changed . Still one of the best novels I have ever read. Every time I read it I see more in it.

(I have always got around 3 - 5 books on the go at the same time).

BarbaraStrozzi Wed 11-Sep-19 12:37:56

It's an interesting and enjoyable read in a disposable pulp fiction sort of way, but not actually very good as a book. The characterisation is a bit thin, and the plot twists are all signalled with signposts that wouldn't be out of place on a motorway, so nothing comes as a surprise. (And if I had to read one more description of her lover's manly man hands, I think I'd have screamed.

Three stars on an Amazon review if I was in a generous mood. I think it got a bit of an easy pass by reviewers on the strength of the "if you liked Atwood here's something to read next" vote. Naomi Alderman's The Power is a much better book.

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Wed 11-Sep-19 13:04:36

I thought it was twaddle tbh. It starts off with what feels like a good idea superficially but the more you think about it the more it falls apart.
What did it for me in the end was the realisation that without speech you couldn't do the vast majority of your wifework, so the husband has saddled himself with someone who can cook and clean but not do a lot more. I don't think there are many men who would be willing to effectively take on all the household organisation and parenting and lose the emotional support even if they are nasty sexists and want their wives to shut up.
This in itself struck me as deeply ignorant of how women live outside the author's academic bubble.

BarbaraStrozzi Wed 11-Sep-19 13:12:34

Even within the author's academic bubble it makes no sense. As a former academic researcher in the overlap area between linguistics and neuroscience, Dalcher must know that the developmental window for language acquisition is a use it or lose it phenomenon. So if you rendered all the mothers in your society mute, and sent the men out to work, those men's sons would end up not developing language. Which presumably the dystopian patriarchy would not want as an outcome.

bigmap Wed 11-Sep-19 14:26:37

I thought the concept was great but the writing is crap and some of it just doesn't make sense. Could be a great TV shoe in better hands than the author.

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Wed 11-Sep-19 14:29:18

Barbara, exactly!
Gilead makes a lot more sense.

endofthelinefinally Wed 11-Sep-19 15:01:39

Barbara, the author does say that in the story. It is key to the plot.

BarbaraStrozzi Wed 11-Sep-19 15:10:48

It's set up in the plot as a reason some men are prepared to support backing women in their rebellion, yes. My point though is it's deeply implausible this would happen in the first place, though.

endofthelinefinally Wed 11-Sep-19 15:14:39

I suppose it is such early days in the regime it hasn't been thought through.
Governments not thinking things through isn't unusual IMO. ( Only half joking...)

nauticant Wed 11-Sep-19 15:32:57

Some good ideas but poorly executed. The world of the book wasn't properly thought through and so as it went on I became less engaged and my reading speeded up. As others have said, the ending is rubbish.

steeples Wed 11-Sep-19 15:35:08

who is Christina Dalcher? never heard of them do they right fiction or is it more religious?

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Wed 11-Sep-19 16:30:39

It's her first novel.

RufusthebewiIderedreindeer Wed 11-Sep-19 16:41:23

I think i won Vox on mumsnet

Anyway i agree with other posters, good premise but a bit of a disappointing delivery

It was quite a light, easy read

OhHolyJesus Wed 11-Sep-19 20:25:42

I enjoyed this and The Power by Naomi Alderman.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »