Talk

Advanced search

Stonewall have updated their definition of transgender.

(118 Posts)
TurboTeddy Wed 14-Aug-19 16:40:08

mobile.twitter.com/LabelFreeBrands/status/1161234934448574464/photo/1

Not sure I can add anything, the rediculousness speaks for itself. I think leaving us speechless is the new silencing tactic.

Voice0fReason Wed 14-Aug-19 23:51:02

"Anyone who chooses, for whatever reason, to self-identify as transgender"
"people who do not self-identify as transgender, but who are perceived as such by others"

So that covers everyone whether they like it or not.
I can decide that I am transgender and I can decide that you are too.

Voice0fReason Wed 14-Aug-19 23:55:40

This is the full definition:

What does transgender mean?
TRANSGENDER is an inclusive, umbrella term used to describe the diversity of gender identity and expression for all people who do not conform to common ideas of gender roles. This includes:

TRANSSEXUAL is a medical term describing people whose gender and biological sex do not line up, and who often seek medical treatment to bring their body and gender identity into alignment. There are several terms used to commonly describe transsexual people, including MTF (abbreviated term for male to female transsexual people), FTM (abbreviated term for female to male transsexual people) and transman and transwoman (common language terms used to describe FTM and MTF transsexual people).

TRANSVESTITE is a term used to describe people who dress in clothes associated with their opposite sex, as defined by socially accepted norms, but still identify with their biological sex. An erotic transvestite is a person who gets sexually excited by the dressing. A social transvestite, however, simply feels more comfortable in such clothes.

INTERSEX people are born with chromosomal anomalies or ambiguous genitalia. Intersex infants are often assigned a gender and subjected to surgical procedures. Some intersex people develop gender identity issues.

BIGENDERED people have a gender identity that encompasses both genders - masculine and feminine.

The term transgender also includes people who express gender characteristics that don’t correspond with the characteristics traditionally ascribed to the person’s actual or presumed sex. This can include:
• Gender benders • Gender blenders • Drag queens • Drag kings • Butch women
• Effeminate men • Anyone who chooses, for whatever reason, to self-identify as transgender

In the broadest sense, transgender encompasses anyone whose identity or behaviour falls outside of stereotypical gender norms. That includes people who do not self-identify as transgender, but who are perceived as such by others and thus are subject to the same
prejudice, discrimination and physical violence as those who actually identify with any of these categories.

ErrolTheDragon Wed 14-Aug-19 23:58:07

* I can decide that I am transgender*

Well, no, we're not allowed to, I suppose we've broken their rules by wanting to get rid of 'stereotypical gender norms' entirely. hmm

TastingTheRainbow Thu 15-Aug-19 00:03:59

Includes butch women. Surely the fact they identify as women and they are biologically women means they are not trans. Guess I’d best tell my butch girlfriend she’s no longer simply a lesbian but now she’s a trans man. I guess that now makes me straight as well. Can’t keep up with this rubbish.

JanesKettle Thu 15-Aug-19 00:08:51

I've always been trans Northern. Can't believe the northphobia here!

I don't always 'come out' in all my trans glory, but I think it's time. I'm a non-binary, agender, trans Northen Scot.

Yes, some people might say, but you're a woman with three kids and chin length hair who applies tinted moisturiser daily, and who lives in the south of a very southern continent, with citizenship of a non-UK nation only. Aren't you actually just a sometimes gender conforming Australian lady ?

But they would be wrong.*

* In the absurd world of 'identity language' I am genuine about the above labels. Plus, my Grandma was Scottish smile

BiologyIsReal Thu 15-Aug-19 00:12:56

I used to live in London. When I told my boss I was moving to St Albans she asked why I was moving up north. So the north starts at St Albans as any fule knows. Or is St Albans trans north?

OccasionalKite Thu 15-Aug-19 00:26:11

So, I've given birth, physically, to babies, who have grown to be adults; but I still undertake light DIY stuff around the house despite males being present, and am bloody wickedly good at reading maps and navigation.

Am I trans??!!!

CountFosco Thu 15-Aug-19 05:52:24

The South starts where you start having to lock your car, i.e. Inverness. I suspect I may be a NERF though, I'm so northern we wear coats all year round, and my family think my children with their south of the border "northern" accents sound 'posh'.

TheBigBallOfOil Thu 15-Aug-19 06:56:12

Melroses you are lucky this is an anonymous board. I’ve got DH spitting tacks here.

Deliriumoftheendless Thu 15-Aug-19 07:33:30

Anyone who chooses, for whatever reason, to self-identify as transgender

Bit vague, that.

FormerMediocreMale Thu 15-Aug-19 08:36:17

Well at least they admit its all about stereotypes!

However as i was never a barbie and always been GNC how can i have trana? What did i trans from and too?

Its so bonkers.

DejaVulva Thu 15-Aug-19 09:02:16

That definition is from 2004:

www.stonewall.org.uk/sites/default/files/transgender_booklet_2004.pdf

Someone circulated it without fact checking first.

Deliriumoftheendless Thu 15-Aug-19 09:03:58

So has anything changed or is this still Stonewall’s definition?

ErrolTheDragon Thu 15-Aug-19 09:22:43

My guess is that someone stumbled on it and assumed it was new, because if they've been saying that for so long why the heck were Stonewall ever taken seriously on trans issues. If politicians etc had actually read that document, how on earth could they parrot the mantra 'trans women are women' ?

DickKerrLadies Thu 15-Aug-19 09:25:46

MN ahead of the curve as usual! We've all known that 99% of the population are Stonewall Trans for aaaaaaaages.

sashh Thu 15-Aug-19 10:20:40

It's always amused me that people from Leeds think they're northern...

I once had a flatmate from Stourbridge who claimed to be from, "up north".

AloneLonelyLoner Thu 15-Aug-19 10:54:32

I'm transgender?!! Superb.

Who knew?

This day belongs to all of us.

What a fucking triumph.

I'm running off now to polish off my old-fashioned vagina while I still can.

Voice0fReason Thu 15-Aug-19 21:40:57

This is still on Stonewall's website so it is still their current definition.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »