Talk

Advanced search

Women's suits.

(85 Posts)
placemats Wed 14-Aug-19 12:12:13

So I would like a new suit. So far I have this for delectation and delight.

Next: women's suits.

www.next.co.uk/search?w=women%20suits&af=colour:black&isort=score#1_0

Suits search only in Next:

www.next.co.uk/search?w=suits&isort=score&af=#1_253

I typed in suits for Marks and Spencers

I got this:

www.marksandspencer.com/l/women/mands-collection/suits-and-work-dresses-n-bys1h?extid=ps_ggl_UK_G_DSA_Womenswear_&gclsrc=aw.ds&&gclid=Cj0KCQjw4s7qBRCzARIsAImcAxZ_LEJtKeVQvCyec7x8yS-z56NC5PnVTiBMOhGAGdQp8s5gC15eGxcaApOhEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Then I typed in women's trouser suits in M&S and got this:

www.marksandspencer.com/l/women/coords?OmnitureRedirect=womens%20trouser%20suits

What is going on here?

Can a woman not buy a decent suit at a good price anymore without looking like she is about to go onto the beach?

iVampire Wed 14-Aug-19 12:16:49

Yes, but you have to aim off for people’s actual behaviour online. The searches are optimised to return the hits that lead to sales when people use those search terms.

So if you want work or office wear, you need to use those specific terms on your searches.

And yes, you’ll still get hits that include clothes you think unsuitable, but it will reduce the number of wildly unsuitable ones

Cohle Wed 14-Aug-19 12:38:19

Is your objection that the next site has returned a few returns for swimsuit and jumpsuit when you search for "suit"?

Floisme Wed 14-Aug-19 13:25:03

‘Suits’ incorporates other meanings e.g. swimsuit, not so much for men, that is true, but then menswear is far less varied. Try ‘women’s workwear’.

NeurotrashWarrior Wed 14-Aug-19 13:30:47

Try non binary women's suits confused

Flerkin Wed 14-Aug-19 13:33:32

But you types in the word suit.

And everything with 'suit' is the description came up?

placemats Wed 14-Aug-19 13:37:34

So I tried women's workwear and got this:

www.asos.com/women/workwear/cat/?cid=19645

Then I tried men's workwear and got this:

www.asos.com/men/workwear/cat/?cid=18423

Just to be clear. I would like a suit to wear to work. A trouser suit because I don't like wearing skirts. I am a woman.

MarthaDunstable Wed 14-Aug-19 13:42:05

Because I have the M&S app I’m not getting the same results that you are - but they (and Next) seem to have a perfectly good selection of women’s suiting.

placemats Wed 14-Aug-19 13:44:57

Women's office wear gives me this

www.next.co.uk/shop/gender-women-productaffiliation-tailoring-0#3_707

Flerkin Wed 14-Aug-19 13:46:39

What is your point?

The asos page, is very similar to the clothes you see women wear in my office.

For alot of office places it is work wear?

Mens workwear was also showing what I see men wear at work.

I dont really understand your issue.

placemats Wed 14-Aug-19 13:47:15

I don't wear skirts.

That gives me a selection of one, because light coloured suits simply don't suit me.

Martha

Flerkin Wed 14-Aug-19 13:48:13

I would like a suit to wear to work. A trouser suit because I don't like wearing skirts. I am a woman.

Then look for a trouser suit.

BogglesGoggles Wed 14-Aug-19 13:48:20

I’m struggling to see the issue. Women’s officewear tends to include more smart casual than men’s. It’s one thing if you were looking on somewhere that actually sold women’s tailoring (where you would get proper suits come up) but where you are looking at cheap shops you will get options that fit the dress codes of corresponding salaries which will inevitably be more smart casual that suits.

placemats Wed 14-Aug-19 13:48:58

My issue is that I would like to wear a suit.

I would like to buy a new one.

It really is that simple Flerkin

GlacindaTheTroll Wed 14-Aug-19 13:50:01

The issue is that OP does not grasp how searches work.

We will not get the same hits, because the devices we are using will not have the same search history as OP's, either from her own searches or from searches carried out by others using that device (which refine the basic return of what links people using those search terms actually choose to look at)

Flerkin Wed 14-Aug-19 13:51:52

And thers no reason you cant.

trouser suits&isort=score&af=

Womens trouser suits.

Are you complaining because you would have to buy it seperate?

Lots of people prefer this than a matching suit jacket and trousers

Buy separates and mix them up.

It seems you are annoyed because fashion has changed

placemats Wed 14-Aug-19 13:52:46

But I'm looking now at a suit I bought from M&S 7 years ago. It no longer fits and was a great buy.

Perhaps I should head off to the charity shops.

I want to look smart.

AllPowerfulLizardPerson Wed 14-Aug-19 13:53:38

My hits were entirely appropriate, Hawkes and Curtis, Jaegar and M&S, plus a lot of similar stuff, plus ads for bespoke tailoring.

I think a lot must come down to the sort of clothes pages you normally look at.

placemats Wed 14-Aug-19 13:53:55

Fashion has changed a lot since I was a young teenager, how patronising can you get?

Jolonglegs Wed 14-Aug-19 14:03:57

I have three suits for work, all from M&S. Two have trousers, one has a skirt.
Are these any good - www.marksandspencer.com/l/women/coords?OmnitureRedirect=womens%20trouser%20suits

Iminthewrongstory Wed 14-Aug-19 14:08:21

Jolonglegs - I like the blazer, slim-legged trouser one. Good call!

MargueritaBlue Wed 14-Aug-19 14:10:57

Was your original search term " find me something trivial to make a fuss about sexism?

wheresmymojo Wed 14-Aug-19 14:18:26

I don't understand confused

When I followed the first link you posted for Next the first few results I looked at were all trouser suits...

wheresmymojo Wed 14-Aug-19 14:18:55

Are you seeing something different?

randomsabreuse Wed 14-Aug-19 14:19:33

I thought this was going to be about the rubbish fabrics, complete lack of pockets (jacket pockets are often fake) and the ridiculously limited choice of styles if you do not suit the trouser shape that is currently in! In M&S in menswear you can get all the types of suit in a variety of fabrics in all the basic colours. M&S womenswear is all about the fashion - so if bootleg is in all the trousers are that. You can get black but no other "traditional" colours - grey suits me better.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »