Talk

Advanced search

Adverts banned for perpetuating gender stereotypes

(15 Posts)
Toomanytears Wed 14-Aug-19 06:16:23

I can see from the ad makers point of view this must be difficult as gender roles aren't clearly defined so it could be easy to get it wrong, as with the 2 dads. However, I think this is a positive step forward

First ads banned for contravening UK gender stereotyping rules

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2019/aug/14/first-ads-banned-for-contravening-gender-stereotyping-rules?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

Toomanytears Wed 14-Aug-19 06:19:55

ads banned for contravening UK gender stereotyping rulesink{https://www.theguardian.com/media/2019/aug/14/first-ads-banned-for-contravening-gender-stereotyping-rules?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard\www.theguardian.com/media/2019/aug/14/first-ads-banned-for-contravening-gender-stereotyping-rules?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboar]]d}

YobaOljazUwaque Wed 14-Aug-19 06:25:41

clicky link

Op you make these by typing {{https://www.theguardian.com/media/2019/aug/14/first-ads-banned-for-contravening-gender-stereotyping-rules clicky link}} but using [ instead of {

Toomanytears Wed 14-Aug-19 06:29:46

Thank you.

Justneedaflippingtemporaryname Wed 14-Aug-19 06:37:46

The Philadelphia one made me cringe and I'm amazed and happy they're now thinking about things like this. I think it's a great forward move. I've not seen the other ads so don't know if they've gone too far or not. What do you think, OP?

PhoenixBuchanan Wed 14-Aug-19 07:00:50

I think this is a really forward-thinking initiative.

However I actually liked the other advert, for the car, and think the ban is a bit silly. I found the woman with the pram quite effective, and would hope there isn't now some sort of ban on showing mothers with children confused I think they fell foul of the "rules" by having all the others be men. Switch out one of the astronauts or the athlete to be a woman and it would have been a different advert. Maybe these rules will make companies stop, think and make small changes.

Toomanytears Wed 14-Aug-19 07:12:23

I think it's fantastic news. My dh has complained that since he became a parent he has noticed that all dads are either depicted as too busy to to parent or the more common one is incapable/bumbling. He noticed it first watching CBeebies, the stuff on there tends to be better quality. The programmes have an educational/moral message and there are lots of programmes that include, women, people of colour and those with disability being well represented. He feels that actually it's men that are getting let down on that channel. I think it does highlight that gender stereotyping hurts all of us.

I don't think the car ad was anywhere near as bad as the Philadelphia one but it's excellent to see some action being taken. Hopefully other advertisers will think more in future.

I'd like to see them look at adverts aimed at children next. We very rarely watch them but a recent break away and a wet day meant we saw quite a few. I can't think of one that was aimed at children, they were all very clearly 'for boys' or 'for girls'.

LizzieSiddal Wed 14-Aug-19 07:33:41

John Humphries has just been discussing this on R4.
He couldn’t understand why it wasn’t ok to have a woman depicted with a pram and all the men depicted doing exciting things. He’s such a dinosaur.

YobaOljazUwaque Wed 14-Aug-19 07:45:27

I think its a good move. The constant depiction of males as too incompetent to deal with family stuff and needing cheats and shortcuts to achieve basic things like feeding a family is sexism we can all do without.

The quotes in the article from people against these bans are ridiculous. Of course we have to hold the advertising industry to a much higher standard than is currently seen in the real world. Their whole industry is designed to influence and direct our thinking. With that power comes the responsibility to at least stop building up the barriers that we are trying to dismantle.

AbsintheFriends Wed 14-Aug-19 09:53:55

Scrutiny is good. It'll make advertising creatives more aware of using lazy tropes and stereotypes.

I can think of several adverts that are a whole lot worse than the car one in particular, but hopefully the fact that it was banned will prove it's not just about what adverts show (the woman with the pram) but what they don't (female para-athlete/female astronaut.) This feels like an opportunity for a real change in regressive stereotyping. (Hope the Alexa ad where the woman is away and Alexa is issuing her patronising childcare instructions to the pitiful dad is next for the ban hammer. And the car one where the male driver has to choose between spending the evening with mates or female partner, and has his mind made up by the promise of a shag.)

CuriousaboutSamphire Wed 14-Aug-19 09:59:21

I'm conflicted!

Eradicating gender stereotypes = good

Banning adverts with no clear concise guidelines = not so good

I am inclined to agree with the comment about ASA being the Morality Police - I remember Mary WHitehouse, we have no need to repeat that social experiment!

But yes, those ads mentioned did annoy me, as do so very many others. Maybe the advertising industry will take the hint and comply with the spirit of the new guidelines.

CuriousaboutSamphire Wed 14-Aug-19 10:00:07

Oh yes! The football or shag advert really fucking irritates me!

PixieLumos Wed 14-Aug-19 10:00:11

The Philadelphia add was so cringe, I’m glad they’ve pulled it. It was like ‘Hey we’re new dads’ - well one of you definitely isn’t as that child looks about 12 months old hmm and I had no idea what it had to do with Philadelphia cheese - most people eat Philadelphia at home, not in a café. Just weird, confusing and cringe all round.

VortexofBloggery Wed 14-Aug-19 10:01:39

Nick Ferrari discussed this on LBC this morning too. He interviewed a man from ASA and a woman from Grazia. NF said he loved the ads from yesteryear depicting the 1950s housewife welcoming husband home to a scotch, dinner and kids in bed. NF also said he couldn't see the need for the ASA to be "moral arbiter" on gender stereotyping in ads. The guy from the ASA made great points especially about Stem industries and gender imbalance ie "you can't be what you can't see". I found Grazia's position (agreeing with ASA that gender stereotypes are harmful) untenable on this point, as we are treated to barrage of stereotypes in that rag.

LikeothersIamjustme Wed 14-Aug-19 10:02:10

And the car one where the male driver has to choose between spending the evening with mates or female partner, and has his mind made up by the promise of a shag
Agree - this is the only advert that REALLY pisses me off!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »