Talk

Advanced search

Rhys Ernst's film - Adam. The review has fried my brain.

(10 Posts)
AnythingComingMyWay Tue 13-Aug-19 19:33:45

I almost posted this under a previously used name and then chickened out.

Review in Economist

I have had a glass of wine, but only one. And I cannot for the life of me make sense of this. Can any of you intelligent women help?

What is the transphobia? Is it the existence of a character who is a cis man? How is it lesbophobia if she was getting into a relationship with a transman? If TWAW and TMAM, surely he was he and therefore she was straight? Or have I misunderstood? And he apparently doesn't lie about his biology, just omits? Surely the point is that if sexual orientation is a thing, then gender identity is bollocks? But the director is trans and... I'm so confused.

And what does queer even mean? Arghh I feel like I'm going mad!

EverardDigby Tue 13-Aug-19 20:32:19

It sounds shit because it plays into all the stuff that lesbians have heard many times about you just need to meet the right man, so that's crap.

I guess the transphobic thing is that it's wrong to self ID as a transman when you're not one....

Anyway, the more people experience the TRA treatment for themselves hopefully the more they realise how aggressive and unpleasant it is.

Trohmaniac Tue 13-Aug-19 20:36:31

Oh, they're hopping mad about this film on Tumblr and demanding everyone boycott it because it's so transphobic. And apparently the extras in the film weren't told the subject of the film until they showed up for filming.

Personally I'll be boycotting it (or 'not watching it') as it sounds shite and I'm not the target demographic.

JustTurtlesAllTheWayDown Tue 13-Aug-19 21:24:14

I saw a review elsewhere and yup, have no plans to see it.
The accusations of transphobia were always going to happen though.
The trans definitions of 'woman' or 'cis' or 'trans' change constantly people run linguistic circles around themselves. It's impossible to get 'right' no matter how woke you are. There'll always be someone along to educate you in how you got it wrong.
It would be hilarious if it weren't doing so much damage.

Datun Wed 14-Aug-19 07:43:17

Adam who pretends to be a trans male in order to woo a lesbian he meets at a party.

That's the transphobia.

No lesbian, of either sex (🙄) can be attracted to someone whose 'gender' is male, irrespective of their sex.

If that lesbian was attracted to an ostensible woman, identifying as a man, it would, apparently, make her straight. Because the 'identifying as a man' is what counts.

The fact that she only turns out to be bi when she learns their sex, is transphobic. She should have been bi because of their gender presentation.

It sounds batshit because it is. It's based on lies.

AnyOldPrion Wed 14-Aug-19 08:22:39

I think it sounds like an interesting concept. The negativity also highlights the problem with transactivism perfectly. This is one of their own, trying to present a different view of the confusion that can occur when we start to pretend people can change sex.

Vis-a-vis the lesbophobia... this is where it becomes confusing. The idea is that the lesbian fell in love with someone she believed was a woman. But if she fell in love with a female transitioner who’d had phalloplasy, would she still be a lesbian then? The lines there are blurred for me already. But to me, this is not the same as a lesbian just having to meet the right penis (which turned out to be a real Male one, as opposed to a surgically created female one). It’s more about whether you should continue to love someone who’s told you a whopping lie.

AnyOldPrion Wed 14-Aug-19 08:29:39

Apologies, I was responding to Everard’s first paragraph with regard to the lesbophobia. Failed to read your post properly Datun. You are presumably correct about the idea that a lesbian dating a female transitioner would already be bi, according to people who are trying to push a belief in homogenderism instead of homosexualism.

Datun Wed 14-Aug-19 08:37:36

You are presumably correct about the idea that a lesbian dating a female transitioner would already be bi

And that's where it falls apart. Because no one actually believes it. Including the film maker.

AnyOldPrion Wed 14-Aug-19 08:57:54

And that's where it falls apart. Because no one actually believes it. Including the film maker.

Yes. So as the filmmaker is a celebrated transitioner, and believes lesbian means female homosexual, the filmmaker must be ostracised. No wonder the centre of this ideology can’t hold in the long run.

AnythingComingMyWay Wed 14-Aug-19 14:47:21

Thanks for clarifications. And comments that it is mad, it's not just me.

I get the reaction to the implied - "see, you just hadn't met the right bloke yet" message for lesbians.

I guess it's the overlaying of both gender presentation / identity and sexual attraction that makes such a headspin. It tries to say that homosexuality is an identity when the attraction is to cis people, but must be fluid when the attraction is to trans people. Because a trans identity is more intrinsic to someone's identity than sexuality and also entirely irrelevant because it's the person not the gender.

I swear I feel like Alice in Wonderland.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »