Talk

Advanced search

US school mandated transition of autistic girl, contrary to parents' wishes, as ACLU threatens schools that don't affirm children's gender views

(41 Posts)
ShootsFruitAndLeaves Mon 12-Aug-19 18:20:58

www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/voices/2019/08/12/transgender-daughter-school-undermines-parents-column/1546527001/

ShootsFruitAndLeaves Mon 12-Aug-19 18:24:16

"Throughout my daughter’s childhood, there were no signs that she wanted to be a boy. I can’t recall a single interest that seemed unusually masculine, or any evidence that she was uncomfortable as a girl.

The only difficulty she had was forming and maintaining friendships. We later learned why: She was on the autism spectrum.

At her high school, my daughter was approached by a girl who had recently come out at school as transgender. Shortly after meeting her, my daughter declared that she, too, was a boy trapped in a girl’s body and picked out a new masculine name.

"My daughter told me that the school social worker was advising her about halfway houses because he thought we did not support her. The social worker confirmed this when I scheduled a meeting with him to discuss it. This felt like a horrifying attempt to encourage our daughter to run away from home."

LordProfFekkoThePenguinPhD Mon 12-Aug-19 18:24:33

That’s a law suit ripening.

NeurotrashWarrior Mon 12-Aug-19 18:27:02

Just awful.

Halfthesky5 Mon 12-Aug-19 18:38:04

Poor thing sad As an adult on the spectrum myself I really feel for young autistic girls in this current climate.

FormerMediocreMale Mon 12-Aug-19 18:38:44

So awful. Im glad in the UK people are wakingbup to this madness so children can be saved.

I wonder if the parents can afford to lawyer up?

truthisarevolutionaryact Mon 12-Aug-19 18:39:01

Terrible story - and coming to the UK. sad

LordProfFekkoThePenguinPhD Mon 12-Aug-19 18:48:06

A brave lawyer will put their head above the parapet if it’s a case with an interesting point of law or presence. I hope they do so soon (they will get dogs abuse though).

LordProfFekkoThePenguinPhD Mon 12-Aug-19 18:50:37

Presidence not presence...

AnotherAdultHumanFemale Mon 12-Aug-19 20:53:22

Absolutely shocking and heartbreaking. One of the reasons I don't think I'll have children is because I don't feel that I can protect them in today's insane world. Imagine your beautiful child being brainwashed into thinking there is something wrong with their body then being sent to get sterilised and mutilated. It's terrible on so many levels and so extremely sinister the way it is being pushed by governments to the point that parents are losing custody.

Also, it's a cult. You can see here that she was recruited by another girl. I'm going to start a new thread about their recruiting grounds.

NeurotrashWarrior Mon 12-Aug-19 21:02:48

So awful. Im glad in the UK people are wakingbup to this madness so children can be saved.

Except the NAS are getting worse.

Sickoffamilydrama Mon 12-Aug-19 21:04:39

Bloody hell I'm not letting my Autistic DD out of my sight...in reality I know that's impossible and unfair on her.

IdaBWells Mon 12-Aug-19 21:26:03

Did the parents immediately pull their dd out of the school?

SpartacusAutisticus Mon 12-Aug-19 21:41:40

This is shaping up to be a new standard autistic coming of age story.

Anyone with an autistic daughter needs to be alert to this to prevent a huge tragedy.

As an autistic woman who was an undiagnosed autistic child/teen I know I'd have been vulnerable to this. I have friends who've said the same.

InsulatedCup Mon 12-Aug-19 21:54:44

It has happened to my autistic DD....

SpartacusAutisticus Mon 12-Aug-19 22:00:07

flowers

Voice0fReason Mon 12-Aug-19 22:13:58

This is bloody horrific. These poor girls don't stand a chance.

Maniak Mon 12-Aug-19 22:58:11

I can't believe he wrote about his daughter like that, under his own name in a national news service. How's that going to affect her?

KatvonHostileExtremist Mon 12-Aug-19 23:14:15

Could it really get worse for his daughter? That young person is about to change their body forever on the idea that they somehow need fixing. They are neurodiverse ffs. It won't "fix" anything.
It's terrifying.

Catinaflap Tue 13-Aug-19 00:13:55

flowers Insulated, it's happened to my autistic daughter too...

TheAndroidSea Tue 13-Aug-19 00:58:14

Jesus. I could have written this four years ago. Autistic and very intelligent 14yo, no previous signs of wanting to be a boy. School changed her name on all the registers and forms to male name. They bent over backwards to be inclusive and basically let my daughter guide them. Everything from school reports to parentpay was in the male name. I did not consent to any of this. She dropped out of school altogether by 15.

Italiangreyhound Tue 13-Aug-19 01:37:06

@TheAndroidSea I am so sorry to hear that. How is your daughter doing now. We have a young trans person in wider family but the school were very open with parents and so was the young person so not the terrible shock you got. I do hope all is OK for your child.

NeurotrashWarrior Tue 13-Aug-19 08:25:10

On a slightly different tangent, and not wishing to derail, I do think there needs to be some action around the NAS and the tripe they're spouting as this is where where will end up.

(just perhaps after the school hols!)

TheAndroidSea Tue 13-Aug-19 09:55:25

@Italiangreyhound
She’s still struggling with gender issues, doesn’t want to be a boy anymore but gets very angry if referred to as female in any way. Very oppositional in many ways. Dropped out of all education and is working a very part time job. My heart breaks for her. She is so clever and has hardly any qualifications. I just want her to be happy and settled and I feel her teenage years have just been all about trans issues and mental health problems and autism. She’s 18 now and I have no idea what the future holds for her but the trans ideology dominates everything.
I have another child at the school now and he says many kids identify as trans there and get treated as my DD did, it’s more commonplace now.

NellieEllie Tue 13-Aug-19 10:07:53

It’s horrific, like some dreadful horror film about cults taking over (it IS a cult taking over). Can’t believe the school recommended psychologist didn’t speak out. Appalling cowardice for a professional. What chance do kids have if the professionals who aren’t meant to safeguard throw their hands up because they are scared of the fallout?
I was thinking the other day, what on earth explains this mass hysteria/gaslighting/ denial of reality? All I could come up with was massive conspiracy to sterilise a generation of children to reduce the human population. Completely barmy of course, but that is going to be the outcome if it goes on like this. It’s truly chilling.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »