Talk

Advanced search

Remember that grey hair is rarely attractive

(160 Posts)
TheGreysAreComing Wed 07-Aug-19 16:46:12

5. Remember that grey hair is rarely attractive unless you have the correct combination of skin tone and eye colouring! (You suit clothes in blues, lilacs, greys and pinks and have neutral skin tone and grey/blue eyes).

www.danielfieldmailorder.co.uk/support/?q=1017

Thoughts? Posting this in FWR as I know AIBU will be full of posters who wish to post that actually they do believe grey hair on women is unattractive.. like pubes, and women leaving the house without a chaperone face full of makeup.

Regardless of a person's personal beliefs on grey hair (or any colour) there is something exceptionally sexist and patronising in advising women to remember they are unattractive. Now, now ladies, lest you forget or start to feel confident in your hair colour, you are probably unattractive.

Also, I've known lots of beautiful black women with grey hair btw but not a single one with blue eyes though.. so not sure if this brand counts them or not. hmm

ScreamingValenta Wed 07-Aug-19 16:50:58

Ugh. I hate the expectation that women's primary goal in life is to be attractive to men, and the kind of 'how dare you!' attitude towards women who don't actually give a fig.

The 'correct' combination of skin and eye colour - ffs. Oy, you - your combination of skin, eye and hair colour is incorrect - change it at once.

JellySlice Wed 07-Aug-19 16:54:36

Would they also say

Remember that unhighlighted^ hair is rarely attractive^
Remember that mousy^ hair is rarely attractive^
Remember that non-relaxed Afro^ hair is rarely attractive^

Yes, I agree with you.

What they're actually saying is
Remember that whatever natural, unmodified feature you have is rarely attractive

woodhill Wed 07-Aug-19 16:55:21

Well stating the obvious isn't it in his interest to make this statement as there is money to be made from products and Hair colouring

It is just rubbish though

GCAcademic Wed 07-Aug-19 16:56:14

I think I can safely say that I give not a shiny shit if Daniel Field finds me attractive. He’s someone who I haven’t ever given a moment’s thought to. I haven’t dyed my hair and never will, though I do have quite a few greys. One of the best things about being middle-aged is being invisible to men. The last thing I’d want is to go back to the relentless fucking hassle and actual fear I experienced in my 20s when men, apparently, did find me attractive.

TheGreysAreComing Wed 07-Aug-19 16:56:30

The 'correct' combination of skin and eye colour - ffs. Oy, you - your combination of skin, eye and hair colour is incorrect - change it at once.
I mean, it's your actual natural hair colour. How can it be wrong? confused

I actually think grey hair looks beautiful on most women and I'm more than keen on men but strangely when mine grew in it was a total different curl to my other hair causing a sort of two layer multi hair system, hence looking into grey coverage which goes someway into disguising the insanity. The other possibility was dying it all grey but I'm worried I will get the tone wrong. Natural grey has lots of different lovely shades, and I'm not sure I can recreate that with home DIY kits.

What I find strange is that silver fox men who as far as I know are in no way differently coloured to women don't seem to have these issues.

SnuggyBuggy Wed 07-Aug-19 16:58:23

I must admit I think I would like to get a blue rinse when I'm older

TheGreysAreComing Wed 07-Aug-19 16:59:23

I think I can safely say that I give not a shiny shit if Daniel Field finds me attractive.

I also have a baren field of shiny shits. Which is too bad for Dan as I won't be purchasing his dye because I don't support businesses that tell women they are a bit crap.

TheGreysAreComing Wed 07-Aug-19 17:00:07

TBF Blue rinses seem to be all the rage with the yoof these days snuggy.

BogglesGoggles Wed 07-Aug-19 17:00:08

I’m inclined to agree. Grey hair suits very few people as well as their original colour. Lots of things are unattractive, nothing wrong with aknowledging that and sharing an opinion on what is/isn’t aesthetically pleasing. The analysis of who would suit grey is rather over simplified imo. What’s more problematic is the assumption that people will try to cover up grey hair. Not everyone is vain enough to give a shit.

SmellbowSpaceBowl Wed 07-Aug-19 17:00:33

Black women are a subcategory OP, you know that.

This is so urgh.

TheBigBallOfOil Wed 07-Aug-19 17:01:32

Remember, Daniel, that being a judgemental vacuous arsewipe is rarely attractive.
Two can play at this game

FWRLurker Wed 07-Aug-19 17:01:52

I still don’t have any grey but I’m looking forward to it so I’m no longer mistaken for a student quite as often (I’m an academic)!

And wow that is some racist undertones there - Blue or grey are the “correct” eye tone WTAF!

SunnySomer Wed 07-Aug-19 17:01:54

The reason I chose to go grey after 15 years of dying my hair was because I heard a bunch of male friends congratulating one another one their silver foxiness. I had a complete WTF moment when I thought about the thousands I’d been conned out of in the belief that grey was unattractive when it’s actually beautiful. But doesn’t make hair dye manufacturers any money. They depend on making us feel inadequate

SnuggyBuggy Wed 07-Aug-19 17:02:19

I've had whiteys since my mid 20s and have a bad feeling I'm going to get Dracula pattern greying rather than an elegant salt and pepper in the next 10 years grin

TheGreysAreComing Wed 07-Aug-19 17:03:28

Grey hair suits very few people as well as their original colour. Lots of things are unattractive, nothing wrong with aknowledging that and sharing an opinion on what is/isn’t aesthetically pleasing.

If Mr Field had been asked his opinon and he said, "As a hair colourist it isnt my favourite" that would be one thing. But to remind women that their hair is unattractive when attraction is totally subjective, you move into a different category of wankbadger.

TheGreysAreComing Wed 07-Aug-19 17:04:32

The reason I chose to go grey after 15 years of dying my hair was because I heard a bunch of male friends congratulating one another one their silver foxiness.

"Their silver foxiness" grin

TheGreysAreComing Wed 07-Aug-19 17:08:19

've had whiteys since my mid 20s and have a bad feeling I'm going to get Dracula pattern greying rather than an elegant salt and pepper in the next 10 years

I like the colour in mine, and when I occasionally never straighten it, I really like the effect. But currently they all sort of stand right up? confused I have curly hair and they don't follow the authorised curl pattern. hmm

MaybeDoctor Wed 07-Aug-19 17:10:09

I hear you, but I don’t think Daniel Field is public enemy number one here.

He is running a small mailorder business selling haircare products in Devon. He isn’t Procter & Gamble or the glossy magazines.

ScrimshawTheSecond Wed 07-Aug-19 17:11:08

Twaddle & bollocks.

I say that as a qualified professional Authority on Who and What is Attractive.

TheGreysAreComing Wed 07-Aug-19 17:14:10

I hear you, but I don’t think Daniel Field is public enemy number one here.

No, but in this case it makes it harder to pass the buck. At some point he sat down and either wrote that copy or approved it. And it just makes me want to kick him in the probably greying nads. He seems to have a large following on MN though which is how I found the website.

EmilyStar Wed 07-Aug-19 17:19:38

It’s the double standards here that really irritate me.

Women with grey hair are “reminded” that it’s unattractive and encouraged to dye it.

Men with grey hair, if it’s mentioned at all with regards to attractiveness, tend to get positive comments about “silver foxes.”

Goosefoot Wed 07-Aug-19 17:19:53

The way that is worded is weird and not very nice.

I would say that, as far as you can be objective about such things, grey hair comes in some different types and shades, and people's skin and hair vary, and sometimes the particular combination you get isn't as flattering as other times.

When I fist started to go grey, it didn't look great. I have fair skin and eyes and light brown hair, and when it started to go grey it seemed to look very dull and unwashed like it had a residue on it. Now it's about a third grey and it looks much better than it did and in fact I think it probably suits my skin colouring which has also become a little softer than when I was younger. I coloured it for a while when it had the muddy look, which in a way I am opposed to, but at the same time I did not like looking sort of ill and unwashed.

My mother has very beautiful silver hair, but she does need to use a rinse on occasion or it starts to look yellow, like she is a big smoker, which she doesn't like. It's not a real effort since she'd be washing it anyway and it's only every eight weeks or so. Overall though I think she likes her hair now more than when she was younger, as it's very dramatic and unusual.

There is also nothing wrong with doing nothing, the reality is just that at some times we may feel like we look a little better than other times.

merrymouse Wed 07-Aug-19 17:22:15

I think Daniel Field's opinion on grey hair is heavily influenced by their range of hair colours.

If they worked out a way to produce a silver hair dye I suspect they would have a dramatic change of opinion.

www.livecolour.com/our-products/silver-hair-dye

MrsFionaCharming Wed 07-Aug-19 17:31:24

Wtf is a ‘neutral’ skin tone? Surely skin tone is by definition neutral? Or is that some weird race thing I’m not getting?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »