Talk

Advanced search

"Shag, Marry or Behead" - 3 mobile

(117 Posts)
Jeanhatchet Thu 14-Feb-19 06:57:37

The 3 mobile network are laughing at domestic homicide in this tweet. In many of the women killed as a result of intimate partner violence blunt force trauma to or being stabbed in the head is a feature.

The most worrying thing is .... how did this marketing meeting go? What views were expressed about killing women? How that was funny and would sell more contracts and phones? Imagine those men who sanctioned this and how common their views are that it never registered as a marketing disaster?

https://twitter.com/threeuk/status/1095740892919541761?s=21

FingonTheValiant Thu 14-Feb-19 07:07:01

FFS what a disgrace. Sadly I'm no longer with 3 so I won't have the pleasure of cancelling and telling them why.

Absolutely appalling work by their marketing team.

Jeanhatchet Thu 14-Feb-19 07:50:50

Adding s screenshot for those without Twitter. The video has a Henry VIII character flicking through a dating app and deciding whether to have sex with, marry or kill a woman.

Freespeecher Thu 14-Feb-19 07:50:59

Isis do phones now?

RockyFlintstone Thu 14-Feb-19 07:55:40

It's a reference to Henry VIII, that's what he was largely known for confused

In schools, children are taught about the Tudors in a fairly light hearted way and chant mantras like 'divorced, beheaded, died, divorced, beheaded, survived' to remember the wives, and read Horrible Histories books which casually discuss women getting their heads chopped off by their husband. It's history. Is it promoting domestic violence?

It's probably not the best choice, but I assume it was chosen for its irony.

littlbrowndog Thu 14-Feb-19 07:56:04

Erm this just came up on my timeline
And I have some safeguards on mine for offensive stuff

No5 impressed

Bowlofbabelfish Thu 14-Feb-19 07:58:47

I’m very surprised that got out the gate. Not that I expect anyone to care about normalising violence against women (sigh...) , but in a world with ISIS, it would take one killing while this advert was running to create a backlash.

Very poorly thought out, crass, normalises violence. Potentially alienates women, parents (going to explain beheading to the kids when they ask.) just fails at every level. Poor advertising.

littlbrowndog Thu 14-Feb-19 08:02:02

I actually get warnings on my twitter feed that a tweet may have offensive content. Do I want to see it
Wasn’t asked on this advert

RockyFlintstone Thu 14-Feb-19 08:09:27

Children know that Henry VIII had the head chopped off some of his wives, you wouldn't need to explain. They learn about it in school.

Horrible Histories have done plenty of lighthearted sketches and songs about Henry VIII and his antics, directly aimed at kids.

Lolkittens5 Thu 14-Feb-19 08:10:46

It’s obviously a joke and nothing more.

Jeanhatchet Thu 14-Feb-19 08:13:41

@Lolkittens5

The murder of women has become so commonplace in our society that they don't make national news. This kind of trivialising does nothing to help that. 2 women a week being murdered is not a joke and shouldn't be treated as one. Speak to their families who are left behind picking up the pieces of shattered lives.

Lolkittens5 Thu 14-Feb-19 08:16:35

Right, so because bad things happen to good people society should become devoid of all humour on any topics that negatively affect women?

MephistophelesApprentice Thu 14-Feb-19 08:22:47

That's appallingly ill thought out.

It should be 'bed, wed, behead.'

Jeanhatchet Thu 14-Feb-19 08:23:44

@MephistophelesApprentice

Of course this type of post will bring out men like you.

Jeanhatchet Thu 14-Feb-19 08:25:49

@Lolkittens5

I'm often asked "but why does his happen ... how do men grow up thinking they can hurt women and get away with it"

This advert and others like it are the answer. When we ignore the way society normalises male violence against women and laugh at it .... we make sure someone turns their back when a woman is beaten. That's the reality.

littlbrowndog Thu 14-Feb-19 08:28:26

I thought it was horrid. I don’t click on the video as it’s marketing and very dark. So all I saw was the words shag marry or behead.

Fucking horrible
Didn’t make me laugh at all

littlbrowndog Thu 14-Feb-19 08:31:25

And being pushed on my feed when I have sensitivity rules on my feed and I often get asked when a tweet is hidden that a tweet may contain stuff I don’t want to see and do I want to see it

Lolkittens5 Thu 14-Feb-19 08:34:29

Telling jokes or laughing at a joke (in the media or not) does not make a person or society unable to recognise and condemn abusive behaviour.

I think it’s a very lazy argument to explain why domestic violence happens and just perpuates the stereotype of feminists lacking a sense of humour.

Bowlofbabelfish Thu 14-Feb-19 08:36:49

Imagine if there had been an ISIS killing while this ad ran. I’m very surprised this got out of the gate for that alone

Oxytocindeficient Thu 14-Feb-19 08:40:30

Jean Hatchet is giving them grief, good for her. I find this so wrong I can’t believe anyone thinks it’s ok.

placemats Thu 14-Feb-19 08:46:36

Horrific on all counts and I agree with Jean:

When we ignore the way society normalises male violence against women and laugh at it .... we make sure someone turns their back when a woman is beaten. That's the reality.

Having the view that male violence against women, the murders of women and/or their children is not a joke is not to equate with 'snowflakes'. It's a serious issue that doesn't require 'humour'.

Jeanhatchet Thu 14-Feb-19 08:47:24

@Lolkittens5

This is the story of Alice Ruggles - her ex partner stalked her relentlessly and eventually slashed her throat from ear to ear.

Crucial to this - and something you may find "funny" - is the fact that as he lay in wait for her he was flicking through Tinder trying to set up his next "date".

Maybe this is how life and "art" of "comedy" intersect and why this type of advert offends me.

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/alice-ruggles-murder-trial-obsessed-12947680

Whatisthisfuckery Thu 14-Feb-19 08:48:21

Sadly I can see a certain type of man flicking through Tinder with their mates and doing this for a laugh, which I assume to be the aim. Adverts are supposed to be memorable in some way are they not?

Shag marry behead was more of a chronology for Henry VIII anyway, so it doesn’t even work in that context.

Just shows what kind of people they have in their boardrooms I’m afraid. Violent misogynistic creeps.

Lolkittens5 Thu 14-Feb-19 08:50:07

Sorry OP but there’s nothing funny in what you just posted.

Why would you assume I’d find a description of a crime funny?

Jeanhatchet Thu 14-Feb-19 08:58:07

@Lolkittens5

Of course there is nothing funny about men murdering women. They do it for real twice a week usually. That's sort of the whole point of the post. You clearly can't see how it links up so I can't see the point in trying to make you see.

hotwing Thu 14-Feb-19 09:01:13

Honestly, isn't it just a joke?

SonicVersusGynaephobia Thu 14-Feb-19 09:01:22

Looking at some of Three's replies to tweets, they have knobheads running their twitter account.

placemats Thu 14-Feb-19 09:04:11

Honestly, isn't it just a joke?

Emphatically, NO!

SonicVersusGynaephobia Thu 14-Feb-19 09:04:32

No, it's not "just a joke". It's making a light about a man causing a partner a violent death, at a time when too many men are actually doing this for real, every week.

Jeanhatchet Thu 14-Feb-19 09:14:44

If you do find this ad an unacceptable contribution to the social landscape that leads to the murder of women being considered "funny" you can report it here - it takes 2 mins tops but take a quick screenshot to upload as evidence of the ad.

https://www.asa.org.uk/make-a-complaint.html

RockyFlintstone Thu 14-Feb-19 09:19:52

So I guess people are totally against teaching the Tudors in school in anything but the most serious of ways and against the Horrible Histories books and TV show? Because it's basically a similar tone to this ad, just aimed at children.

plattercake Thu 14-Feb-19 09:23:20

I don't find it funny.

How can it be a joke when this kind of violence and misogyny still happens every day?

deydododatdodontdeydo Thu 14-Feb-19 09:25:22

Too soon - not even 500 years has passed.

placemats Thu 14-Feb-19 09:28:35

I know of no child who sets up a mobile contract. Most have their parents do it. 'Horrible Histories' is aimed at the primary school child and, quite frankly, I think making fun of violence at that age is shocking.

nauticant Thu 14-Feb-19 10:13:17

Whenever I see talk of Horrible Histories, I'm reminded of this:

www.theguardian.com/books/2013/feb/13/libraries-horrible-histories-terry-deary

Basically he's not a fan of libraries because it cuts into the cash he'd get. When he's already very wealthy.

SnowflakePatrol Thu 14-Feb-19 10:14:23

Hi Jean,

I take it you were also offended when Emilia Clarke played “shag, marry, kill” based on the male characters of Game of Thrones.

Oxytocindeficient Thu 14-Feb-19 10:53:52

SnowflakePatrol

Oh please bore off.

Oxytocindeficient Thu 14-Feb-19 10:56:11

I don’t care if it’s intended as a ‘joke’. Women get killed every week and it is not remotely funny. Comedy is meant to be clever. Who is the target of this ‘joke’ exactly? It’s not funny, it’s not clever, and it’s not ok.

SnowflakePatrol Thu 14-Feb-19 11:06:43

Double standards as usual, so I’ve to “bore off”. Typical come back.

Oxytocindeficient Thu 14-Feb-19 11:11:11

Nope, standards are always the same for all. Make dumb comments unrelated to the thread, and you’ll be responded to in exactly the way you deserve. It’s not my problem you’re incapable of discussing the actual topic. Your lack of intelligence is your problem, not mine.

MargueritaPink Thu 14-Feb-19 11:19:23

I take it you were also offended when Emilia Clarke played “shag, marry, kill” based on the male characters of Game of Thrones

I don't know what this is referring to but why would you assume anyone would be happy with it just because the sexes are reversed?

RockyFlintstone Thu 14-Feb-19 11:26:14

But we are talking about Henry VIII here, one of the most famous historical figures of the UK, famous for having loads of wives and treating them appallingly, including chopping their heads off, which was a standard method for a monarch at that time to deal with anyone they didn't like. Kids grow up knowing that Henry had two of his wives 'beheaded', it's part of British historical culture, and it was 500 years ago.

Also, not sure what Terry Deary having controversial views about libraries has to do with the fact that lots of kids love Horrible Histories and it provides a really fun way of children engaging with all sorts of history. I shall wait for the boycott of the books and TV show on the grounds that it 'promotes violence against women'.

By the way, my reference to kids and Henry VIII has nothing to do with kids taking out phone contracts, I was just pointing out that the stories about Henry and his wives are pretty ingrained in British historical culture, starting with when kids learn about it at school, usually in a lighthearted way.

dragoning Thu 14-Feb-19 11:31:47

3mobile that is disgraceful. Wrong on so many levels.

I take it you were also offended when Emilia Clarke played “shag, marry, kill” based on the male characters of Game of Thrones

I find that horrible. Yes. Doesn't change the fact that women are murdered every week by their partners and men aren't.

stillathing Thu 14-Feb-19 11:35:55

I don't think the issue is that there are some subjects one can't explore with humour. I think the problem is who is the butt of the joke.

In this ad the butt of the joke is the women, I think. It does nothing to subvert the aeons old structural power imbalance between men and women that existed in the Tudor times, that exists now, and that is partly responsible for males killing females.

Added to that is the fact its not a stand up comedian, grafting away, who made the joke. Its a wealthy powerful company who are using women as the butt of a joke about violence in order to sell phones.

I couldn't stomach GoT because of the rape and violence. It no longer entertains me. I am still fun at parties honest.

ErrolTheDragon Thu 14-Feb-19 12:01:03

The idiots on that thread who think the problem is with the word 'shag'. Are they being disingenuous or are they really on that strange page of thinking sex is more of a moral issue than violence?confused

Oxytocindeficient Thu 14-Feb-19 12:07:02

I think the problem is who is the butt of the joke.

Absolutely that’s the issue, any actual decent comedian will tell you that. The butt of the joke here is women, that’s the problem.

MargueritaPink Thu 14-Feb-19 12:10:52

I'm a 3 customer currently out of contract. I've just complained to 3 and said I'm considering moving back to EE.

Lolkittens5 Thu 14-Feb-19 12:13:39

I think the joke is more the absurdity of
1) what happened with the wives with king Henry
2) putting it into a modern setting with a modern twist

It’s not laughing at violence against women.

placemats Thu 14-Feb-19 12:17:29

But we are talking about Henry VIII here, one of the most famous historical figures of the UK, famous for having loads of wives and treating them appallingly, including chopping their heads off, which was a standard method for a monarch at that time to deal with anyone they didn't like.

Henry was famous for breaking the connection with the Pope and declaring himself head of a new religion in England. Henry was baptised a Catholic and still continued Catholic traditions which eventually ended with Anglicanism.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Church_of_England

Elizabeth Taylor had more husbands than Henry, but she didn't behead any of them.

Queens had status even in the 16th century. Saying the phrase 'Beheading anyone you didn't like' misrepresents history and clearly demonstrates a lack of understanding of the historical context.

Also, not sure what Terry Deary having controversial views about libraries has to do with the fact that lots of kids love Horrible Histories and it provides a really fun way of children engaging with all sorts of history. I shall wait for the boycott of the books and TV show on the grounds that it 'promotes violence against women'.

Lots of children loved Jimmy Savile. I don't watch Game of Thrones. I boycott books already.

By the way, my reference to kids and Henry VIII has nothing to do with kids taking out phone contracts, I was just pointing out that the stories about Henry and his wives are pretty ingrained in British historical culture, starting with when kids learn about it at school, usually in a lighthearted way.

My daughter, who got a first in history, was happy to get rid of her Horrible Histories - can we burn these mum? No I said, better to let it rot. Her father, who abandoned her, kept up the subscription, despite me and her asking him several times to stop it. There is nothing lighthearted about WW1 or WW2.

Ereshkigal Thu 14-Feb-19 12:20:12

2) putting it into a modern setting with a modern twist

Yes, imagined violence against women in a modern setting is that "modern twist", right?

Lolkittens5 Thu 14-Feb-19 12:23:27

No snog marry avoid and tinder is the twist and is obviously not literal.

But obviously the outraged are going to imply it’s all a sinister ploy to condone the acts of a horrible man 400+ years ago by a phone company.

Ereshkigal Thu 14-Feb-19 12:24:19

It doesn't need to be "literal" to be inappropriate.

Ereshkigal Thu 14-Feb-19 12:24:48

Trust me, they knew exactly what they were doing with this.

Lolkittens5 Thu 14-Feb-19 12:26:14

😂

It doesn’t need to be appropriate to be a joke.

ErrolTheDragon Thu 14-Feb-19 12:27:30

Yes, we know it's supposed to be a joke.hmm

But many women have a very good sense of humour, including knowing when something really isn't very funny.

Lolkittens5 Thu 14-Feb-19 12:29:40

right so is your sense of humour the standard that is set by society?

If you get offended by something is everyone else not allowed to see/hear it?

Oxytocindeficient Thu 14-Feb-19 12:34:40

I guess that will depend on who else is disgusted and if it impacts the business negatively, won’t it? We are free to state our opinion and discuss it here, on a feminist board.

MargueritaPink Thu 14-Feb-19 12:35:25

Nobody is saying that. I think it is a stupid, puerile , misogynistic advert which isn't funny. I'm a 3 customer and I don't like it and I'm free to tell 3 I will be moving back to EE because of it.

Ereshkigal Thu 14-Feb-19 12:35:24

What's this hilarious "modern twist" that you mentioned? Henry VIII was a misogynistic abusive man (if more of a product of the times he lived in) and so are many modern men. Male violence against women is still very much a thing. Male contempt for women is still very much a thing.

You sound like the women who thought Dapper Laughs was funny.

placemats Thu 14-Feb-19 12:36:19

Brexit walks into a bar.

The bartender asks, 'why the long farce?'

That's a joke. Some people may well be offended by it.

It takes intelligence to recognise a joke from an offensive comment. I don't believe for one moment that anyone would think that Bernard Manning was a comedian.

Jeanhatchet Thu 14-Feb-19 12:45:16

Men love to defend things that lead to the harm of women as "just a laugh innit?"

Over the decades women have learned to sniff out these derailing tactics.

We don't have to find jokes about the violence you visit upon us funny because you say it is funny.

Thanks to the blokes for dropping by with their "no sense of humour" dismissal. Now go and tell each other your rape jokes. Or don't. But we see you.

RockyFlintstone Thu 14-Feb-19 12:48:37

No snog marry avoid and tinder is the twist and is obviously not literal.

Yes, this. And Henry VIII is obviously supposed to be an ironic choice for Valentines.

I don't think it's particularly clever or funny (and tbh I'm more surprised that they have used the word 'shag' in this sort of marketing campaign) but it wouldn't even occur to me to be offended by this.

StopMakingAFoolOutofMe Thu 14-Feb-19 12:48:54

Why are you assuming thst everyone who comments on this post saying that they find it funny is male?

RockyFlintstone Thu 14-Feb-19 12:51:15

Thanks to the blokes for dropping by with their "no sense of humour" dismissal.

Why would you assume that anyone who disagrees with you on this is a man, and not just a woman who sees things differently to you on this particular issue? confused

placemats Thu 14-Feb-19 13:01:00

I cannot understand why females would find this funny, hilarious or a joke.

Seriously, talk to me about why you find this funny, hilarious or a joke.

I used to go to a brilliant hairdresser who cut my hair the way I wanted to and did so with expertise and advice on the upkeep. She was a professional in my opinion and highly skilled.

She was stabbed on a road outside her house 35 times by her ex, who dragged her out of her home - she screamed to her neighbours to please protect the children, which they did. He then proceeded to almost severe her head before the police intervened. He stood up proud and although covered in blood, yelled 'YES!'

Lolkittens5 Thu 14-Feb-19 13:05:32

I don’t find it funny but I can recognise the intent of the advert as a joke.

Lolkittens5 Thu 14-Feb-19 13:07:42

@placemats sorry I fail to see the relevance...

I attended the Manchester bombing and there were many horrible jokes made about that.

I didn’t and don’t care and would never have assumed the people making the jokes were doing it at the expense of the men, women and children who died or got injured.

placemats Thu 14-Feb-19 13:08:25

Please explain how you recognise the intent as a joke.

placemats Thu 14-Feb-19 13:10:52

Please explain how you recognise this as a joke.

Is there a difference between horrible jokes and a joke?

I didn’t and don’t care and would never have assumed the people making the jokes were doing it at the expense of the men, women and children who died or got injured.

I would assume they were absolute shits of the highest order and should be avoided at all costs.

placemats Thu 14-Feb-19 13:11:49

I don't get an email with the @.

Waste of your passive aggressiveness.

ErrolTheDragon Thu 14-Feb-19 13:12:25

* right so is your sense of humour the standard that is set by society?

If you get offended by something is everyone else not allowed to see/hear it?*

No. Each of us has our own standards which, in the case of advertising material, may inform whether or not we want to give a business our custom.

Free speech works both ways ... we have the right to object to material making light of violence against women.

Lolkittens5 Thu 14-Feb-19 13:15:16

Some jokes are offensive doesn’t make them not jokes.

Some people don’t ‘get’ jokes doesn’t make it not a joke.

placemats Thu 14-Feb-19 13:17:58

Some jokes are offensive doesn’t make them not jokes. Some people don’t ‘get’ jokes doesn’t make it not a joke.

Thank you for that extensive explanation.

MargueritaPink Thu 14-Feb-19 13:19:24

I think it’s a very lazy argument to explain why domestic violence happens and just perpuates the stereotype of feminists lacking a sense of humour

The point being made is not that adverts like this cause domestic violence. Nobody has said that. The point is this attitude trivialises domestic violence - that domestic violence is a bit of a giggle - it's not like real violence.

I am not a feminist yet I can see this and I don't find this advert funny.

Lolkittens5 Thu 14-Feb-19 13:19:48

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

ErrolTheDragon Thu 14-Feb-19 13:21:56

Oh ffs. We know it's meant to be a joke.

Being a joke isn't an acceptable excuse for nastiness. 'Just banter' often really isn't ok for those who are its targets.

placemats Thu 14-Feb-19 13:23:28

Crying has nothing to do with babies. Crying is a functional part of human nature. I have cried when close friends and relatives have died.

You don't understand jokes.

placemats Thu 14-Feb-19 13:24:26

opps my post no longer makes sense. Ignore.

lunamoth581 Thu 14-Feb-19 13:27:07

What’s the difference between a baby and a feminist?

A baby will grow up one day and stop crying.

...And the hand is shown.

Yep. Silly immature feminists. Whining about the trivialization of domestic violence. Taking issue with the murder of women being turned into a joke. Sheesh. Such babies. /s

zippey Thu 14-Feb-19 13:32:38

Everything Lolkittens said.

It’s black humour. Like when Steve Buchemi gets put into the wood chipper in Fargo. Or most things in “Its always sunny in Philadelphia” or “South Park” or even”horrible histories”.

If you don’t like it you can complain or cancel your contract.

RockyFlintstone Thu 14-Feb-19 13:36:33

It looks like it's been deleted now anyhow.

ErrolTheDragon Thu 14-Feb-19 13:50:38

* If you don’t like it you can complain or cancel your contract.*

Which is exactly what some women are doing, so why are people rocking up on FWR to tell us off for complaining?confused are we not supposed to discuss and publicise things that others here may have an interest in?

Re 'black humour' ... it's not really even that, just a rather nasty banal grey. Proper black humour has bite and wit.

Jeanhatchet Thu 14-Feb-19 13:52:29

They deleted the tweet.

Men don't always have the power they think they do to say whatever they want about women. Well done if you reported to the ASA too.

placemats Thu 14-Feb-19 13:53:01

But black humour always has a serious message underlining the humour. I get black humour.

If this message had a black humour tinge to it then it would be acceptable. Except it doesn't.

The black humour in Fargo wasn't at all the deposition of Steve Buchemi's body. That was the the scary bit of the film.

Ereshkigal Thu 14-Feb-19 13:54:45

This is corporate marketing. It's not a random loser making a joke about violence against women.

calpop Thu 14-Feb-19 13:57:22

Ah I see all the young, white, mc ladboys have turned up to tell us all we're being silly. Come back in 30 years when youve seen your daughters abused and maybe even killed by men and tell us then how acceptable it is and how its only a harmless joke. God im sick of this shit.

placemats Thu 14-Feb-19 13:57:43

They deleted the tweet.

I hope 3 Mobile has apologised, given a reason for the deletion and accepted the inappropriateness of this tweet.

ErrolTheDragon Thu 14-Feb-19 13:58:54

thanksthanks Jean, as ever vigilant against violence against women.

placemats Thu 14-Feb-19 13:59:32

That should have read that was one of the scary bits of the film.

placemats Thu 14-Feb-19 14:00:43

Yes, thank you Jean for highlighting this. xx

I know must get ready for my holiday departure.

stillathing Thu 14-Feb-19 14:03:54

I love South Park and Black Mirror and used to love The Day Today and Jam. Some of the humour was pretty uncomfortable but it was also subversive.

This joke is lazy and not at all subversive. The man comes out on top still; he's the one in control, swiping the women, choosing their fate. Women face structural sexism - men do tend to come out on top and choose the fate (see the shocking number of rape cases that even get to trial for example).

If structural sexism had ended with the Tudors then it could have been a great historical joke. If the joke hinged on how being an abusive male makes you a pathetic unlovable twat maybe that could have saved it too.

ErrolTheDragon Thu 14-Feb-19 14:06:02

I can't think offhand of black humour 'comedy violence' which actually works in which the victim is weak and/or innocent. (Never seen Fargo ...)

SnarkyGorgon Thu 14-Feb-19 14:07:44

Ha ha ha, it’s so funny because Henry VIII had his wives beheaded and now, hundreds of years later men, use apps like Tinder to hook up with women and then kill them. Oh and many of those men seem to avoid prosecution by claiming she’d agreed to rough sex. Mega lols

Ereshkigal Thu 14-Feb-19 14:08:02

This joke is lazy and not at all subversive. The man comes out on top still; he's the one in control, swiping the women, choosing their fate. Women face structural sexism - men do tend to come out on top and choose the fate (see the shocking number of rape cases that even get to trial for example).

If structural sexism had ended with the Tudors then it could have been a great historical joke. If the joke hinged on how being an abusive male makes you a pathetic unlovable twat maybe that could have saved it too.

This.

At4oclockthenormalworld Thu 14-Feb-19 14:15:44

Snarky and Still between their posts have summed up WHY this is not funny. It's absolutely about control. We know that 2 women are murdered by their spouse/partner every week many involving head trauma and /or stabbing. Knowing this how anyone can say this ad is a just a joke is either deliberately being a goady fucker or unbelievably thick. Most of you are probably both.

NothingOnTellyAgain Thu 14-Feb-19 14:16:22

I feel really uncomfortable with the jolly lighthearted way Henry VIII beheading is dealt with, it's really odd.

DD doing it at the mo I said remember it's real women he had killed so not really a fun topic at all!

SnarkyGorgon Thu 14-Feb-19 14:19:06

Not sure where that rogue comma came from but I stand by what I said. Cross posted with still who summed it up in a much better and more eloquent way

Ereshkigal Thu 14-Feb-19 14:19:29

Will they have a similar one about Edward II and the alleged poker on Grindr I wonder?

WeBuiltCisCityOnSexistRoles Thu 14-Feb-19 14:33:59

Henry Viii would be judged a serial killer, as well as the murderer of his wives, by today's standards.

I don't see anyone thinking "jokes" about Jack the Ripper or Fred West would be a great way to sell phones hmm

WeBuiltCisCityOnSexistRoles Thu 14-Feb-19 14:37:58

And his wife Catherine Howard was only 19 (or maybe 18) when she was executed on his orders. Ha fucking ha. Hilarious.

Does it being 500 years ago mean that it is good grounds for a "joke"'for some people? What is the acceptable amount of time to elapse after womens' deaths to make it a source of amusement? Genuine question.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »