Talk

Advanced search

Archiving things

(14 Posts)
Bowlofbabelfish Thu 17-Jan-19 18:37:42

As we all know, things do seem to get deleted off Twitter and various platforms.

This website can be used to create a permanent archive of any page you think needs to stay on t’internet forever and not be erased at the merest hint of scandal or tantrum

http://archive.fo

It’s fairly self explanatory- put the page link in the red box and press go.

There may be other hints and tips for saving things - anyone care to add below?

Bowlofbabelfish Thu 17-Jan-19 18:38:20

Now with clicky link

archive.fo

BernardBlacksWineIcelolly Thu 17-Jan-19 18:42:56

so many threads go poof on here

the one about the elephant in the room article, in which many people (myself) included had an epiphany about autogynaephilia was a recent much missed example

GrinitchSpinach Thu 17-Jan-19 18:49:18

Wait that one went poof? Why?

userschmoozer Thu 17-Jan-19 18:50:39

Unfortunately its not foolproof, if the web page is live and updates (eg a news site) then the old archive can be replaced by the new page.

userschmoozer Thu 17-Jan-19 18:51:41

To store a webpage as is for posterity use The Wayback Machine;

archive.org/web/web.php

BernardBlacksWineIcelolly Thu 17-Jan-19 18:56:37

your guess is a good as mine GrinitchSpinach

the deletion message simply said 'this is not civil'

Bowlofbabelfish Thu 17-Jan-19 19:48:13

Ok so if the page itself is updated or changed the archive does too?

sorenipples Thu 17-Jan-19 20:25:37

It keeps snapshots. Just search for the url in the search box. Also use * to find statuses.

Clearly people are already on the case; so worth checking if there's something you remember to see if someone already has captured it.

Remember this works both ways, a fair bit of mumsnet has been snapshot too.

ZuttZeVootEeeVro Thu 17-Jan-19 20:34:03

the one about the elephant in the room article, in which many people (myself) included had an epiphany about autogynaephilia was a recent much missed example

Perhaps the thinking is that if we stop talking about autogynaephilia, we'll stop seeing it.

Ereshkigal Thu 17-Jan-19 20:47:24

The thinking is wrong.

R0wantrees Thu 17-Jan-19 21:07:12

article:
medium.com/*@sue*.donym1984/the-elephant-in-the-room-dc822144a81b

R0wantrees Thu 17-Jan-19 21:10:11

it is worth screenshotting tweets that are relevent to the threads.
Links may not be accessible straight away if your open twitter account is on a mass terf block etc and of course if the tweet is deleted or the account suspended then its lost completely.

sorenipples Thu 17-Jan-19 21:16:39

An archived tweet can't be accused of being faked the same way a screen shot can. It's worth doing both.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »