Talk

Advanced search

Irish woman denied abortion in test case **WARNING** upsetting details in link

(22 Posts)
userschmoozer Thu 17-Jan-19 17:07:21

''Coombe Hospital board over-ruled doctors’ decision after fatal foetal abnormality detected''

WARNING upsetting details in link
www.irishtimes.com/news/health/woman-denied-abortion-in-test-case-on-new-law-tds-claim-1.3761420?fbclid=IwAR0pumYoyqXeCCeYz8nc0k9tXmoWml7MhES8TQ5p9rvniBkPBxmLSnjVWJo#.XECHxv5X7-E.facebook

GrinitchSpinach Thu 17-Jan-19 17:28:14

Oh the poor woman. How can the hospital justify this?

userschmoozer Thu 17-Jan-19 18:00:12

The details are horrific. I don't see how they can justify this, they are just trying to set a precedent to deny abortion, and this is a case of medical necessity.

NotTerfNorCis Thu 17-Jan-19 18:04:47

That's shocking. Isn't abortion legal now?

ILoveMaxiBondi Thu 17-Jan-19 18:05:12

angry fuck those woman hating bastards! Fuck them. This is not what the law dictates. She has a right to have a termination. It’s is not up to them to decide she has to wait for a spontaneous miscarriage. Not ther decidion. Hers. HERS.

UtterlyUnimaginativeUsername Thu 17-Jan-19 18:08:48

This fucking country will never change.

feministfairy Thu 17-Jan-19 18:09:00

Hmmm. Regrettably I'm not surprised. The desire to police women's bodies and fertility is still very strong .

MargueritaPink Thu 17-Jan-19 18:49:53

The law allows for terminations when two obstetricians certify the foetus will not survive outside the womb

Is that correct? Is that all the much trumpeted "repeal the 8th" achieved? If so presumably that will have little effect on the number of women travelling to the UK.

userschmoozer Thu 17-Jan-19 18:54:28

Yes, and in this case the 2 signatures have been obtained but the hospital board is making a stand. The women involved was told she should travel to the UK.

Carowiththegoodhair Thu 17-Jan-19 19:03:58

The hospital board vehemently deny this.

“The Board of Guardians and Directors of the Coombe Women & Infants University Hospital has no role whatsoever in certifying a termination of pregnancy,” a statement said.

“Insofar as recent media coverage has stated that the board has had a role in determining whether or not the criteria for certification have been met, those reports are untrue.”

I think there’s more to this than meets the eye. Gastrochitis can be treated successfully and there are good outcomes for babies with it.

Of course I realise that this doesn’t overcome the “my body my choice” argument.

www.gosh.nhs.uk/conditions-and-treatments/conditions-we-treat/gastroschisis

Procrastinator1 Thu 17-Jan-19 19:06:54

Can someone explain the reference to criminalisation? Do hospitals face some penalty for carrying out an abortion?

Jackshouse Thu 17-Jan-19 19:12:58

This is awful on so many levels. That poor women been denied prompt medical attention in her home country.

MarDhea Thu 17-Jan-19 19:18:06

Is that correct? Is that all the much trumpeted "repeal the 8th" achieved? If so presumably that will have little effect on the number of women travelling to the UK.

No, that's not all it achieved by any means. Under 12 weeks, abortion is legal without restrictions - just go to your GP or clinic. This provision is more liberal than the UK (well, not NI), which requires 2 doctors to sign off.

Over 12 weeks, it's restricted - abortion is legal if there is a risk to the health or life of the woman, or if 2 medical practitioners agree there are fatal fetal abnormalities.

This case is disgraceful but it's not a legal conflict. It's the fucking Coombe hospital not providing abortion services after 2 of their consultants certified FFA... though it's not clear exactly who is to blame. The poor woman thanks

SonicVersusGynaephobia Thu 17-Jan-19 19:36:28

So she's not been allowed to have the abortion she needs, because someone in that hospital has said no (despite their Obstetric Consultants saying it's FFA), but the hospital are denying it's them stopping it? Who is, then?

Actually, this is why the unrestricted "to 12 weeks" rule doesn't really work - because you don't have your first scan until at least 12 weeks (mine was 13.5weeks), and so that rules out your chances of getting a termination if the scan results lead you to want one (ie serious health issues which aren't necessarily FFA, or there isn't 100% agreement from everyone it's FFA). Maybe scans should be at 11 weeks, or the rule changed to 13/14 weeks.

MargueritaPink Thu 17-Jan-19 20:09:08

No, that's not all it achieved by any means. Under 12 weeks, abortion is legal without restrictions - just go to your GP or clinic. This provision is more liberal than the UK (well, not NI), which requires 2 doctors to sign off

The reality is the 2 doctor rule is pretty much a formality.

Over 12 weeks, it's restricted - abortion is legal if there is a risk to the health or life of the woman, or if 2 medical practitioners agree there are fatal fetal abnormalities

Which, depending on how that is interpreted may be considerably more restrictive than UK's 24 week limited..

MargueritaPink Thu 17-Jan-19 20:15:03

Actually, this is why the unrestricted "to 12 weeks" rule doesn't really work - because you don't have your first scan until at least 12 weeks (mine was 13.5weeks), and so that rules out your chances of getting a termination if the scan results lead you to want one (ie serious health issues which aren't necessarily FFA

I was advised to have an amniocentesis test and I was way past that limit by the time I got the results. The perceived risk was Down's. My midwife actually said there was no point in my having the test if I wasn't contemplating an abortion - Down's isn't an FFA.

newtlover Thu 17-Jan-19 20:17:18

that's awful, poor woman

ReggieKrayDoYouKnowMyName Thu 17-Jan-19 20:19:58

That poor woman. What a backwards looking set of officials. My thoughts are with her at what’s a shitty enough time let alone to then be denied an abortion that no one would want.

Voice0fReason Thu 17-Jan-19 22:24:13

That poor woman. There is a complete disregard for what she is being forced to go through. Heartbreaking and grossly unfair.

GerryblewuptheER Thu 17-Jan-19 22:41:46

This is awful sad

Poor poor woman

This is criminal angry

OlennasWimple Fri 18-Jan-19 00:20:14

This thread seems like a good place to mention that the Isle of Man has just decriminalised abortion. Hopefully this will help the women in Northern Ireland somewhat too

MarDhea Fri 18-Jan-19 19:14:02

The reality is the 2 doctor rule is pretty much a formality.

Not everywhere, unfortunately. When I lived in the UK, I knew someone whose usual GP signed off but the partners in the practice wouldn't (for "ethical reasons"). She couldn't get the second signature locally at all, and the nearest place her GP could refer her was 30 miles away (rural area). She went in the end but it meant an expensive train fare and taking a day off work, and she was delayed about 2 weeks from when she initially saw the GP.

It's reasons like that why I'm relieved we have unrestricted abortion up to 12 weeks here now. The need for 2 signatures for every single termination in the UK makes life needlessly difficult for some women, esp outside cities.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »