Talk

Advanced search

Endurance runner kicking ass !

(31 Posts)
notahiker Wed 16-Jan-19 18:23:57

* [title edited at OP's request - it originally said 'Endurance walker kicking ass']

I want to bring to your attention a female endurance athlete who is currently kicking ass out of the men in this event.

This is an endurance event non stopover 7 days and 268 miles along the 'spine' of England.

The record is held by a male and the current leader is female and about to smash the record by 12 hours.

In addition she had a baby in November and she expressing milk at each check point.

Please take a look. This woman is amazing !

It's here and is the Spine race that started 8am on 13th. You can track the race.

thespinerace.com

AssassinatedBeauty Wed 16-Jan-19 18:29:18

What's her name? I can't make head nor tail of that website.

notahiker Wed 16-Jan-19 18:36:49

It is bit complicated.

Jasmin Paris

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jasmin_Paris

The event FB page may be better.

Montaine Spine Race

notahiker Wed 16-Jan-19 18:38:08

Here's her blog

http://jasminfellrunner.blogspot.com/?m=1

jamrollyolly Wed 16-Jan-19 19:04:26

Amazing!!!

theresaspiderinthesink Wed 16-Jan-19 19:05:31

Oh yes I just heard of her! Expressing too!

Go girl!

AssassinatedBeauty Wed 16-Jan-19 19:08:34

I'm glad on her blog she acknowledges that she's very fortunate to have had no birth injuries and a straightforward pregnancy/birth, along with a partner and parents who enable her to prioritise her running.

She is doing amazing things and competing at an amazingly high level. I wonder if these ultra type sports will begin to get a higher profile in the media.

notahiker Wed 16-Jan-19 19:19:44

She's just finished.

Smashed the record.

RB68 Wed 16-Jan-19 19:20:32

just coming into the finish

notahiker Wed 16-Jan-19 19:21:56

The competitor in second place is about 9 miles behind !

AncientLights Wed 16-Jan-19 19:28:03

Oh wow! Wonderful woman. That's lifted my spirits no end.

jamrollyolly Wed 16-Jan-19 21:41:43

I hope this is widely reported in the press/-TV news tomorrow. ( not holding out too much hope).
Can we all forward info about it to the media?

BlindYeo Wed 16-Jan-19 23:02:03

She's just been interviewed on Radio 5 Live smile Got lots of airtime too.

notahiker Thu 17-Jan-19 06:36:38

Great news to hear that it received some national coverage.

The male competitor trailing her had to withdraw with 6km to go. Such a shame for him. For the first part of the race they were together. It's such a gruelling event.

sarahjconnor Thu 17-Jan-19 07:34:55

Bravo! What a woman!

AuntieStella Thu 17-Jan-19 07:40:52

She is famous as an ultra runner

(I don't like the thread title here, which is quite different from those on athletics and sport sites, none of which are calling her a walker)

CMOTDibbler Thu 17-Jan-19 07:54:52

Shes def a runner! Jasmin beat the mens record by 12 hours, womens by 27. Why anyone would want to go along the Pennine way in winter, carry all their kit, and sleep tiny amounts is beyond me, but her achievement is incredible

notahiker Thu 17-Jan-19 08:13:58

I'll ask to get the title changed.

Was in a rush to post it.

* [Message from MNHQ: We've edited the title for you, as requested]

Bittermints Thu 17-Jan-19 08:49:13

What a woman. She's a vet, I see, so maybe used to being out in all weathers and lack of sleep, but by gum, that's some achievement.

inews.co.uk/sport/jasmin-paris-wins-spine-race-record-time/

notahiker Thu 17-Jan-19 10:22:23

Thank you MNHQ

SonicVersusGynaephobia Thu 17-Jan-19 11:04:59

Amazing feat by Jasmin. Congratulations to her (and on the birth of her DC).

OutwiththeOutCrowd Thu 17-Jan-19 11:15:12

Interesting. Some women find their performance in endurance sports actually improves after childbirth.

It's heartening that women can compete on equal terms in these sorts of long distance endurance sports.

Open water ultra-distance swimming, in particular, is an event in which women can outdo men. The higher percentage of body fat seems to be advantageous.

andyoldlabour Thu 17-Jan-19 11:51:20

What a fantastic achievement. It seems like the longer the race, the more women start to come into their own.

www.outsideonline.com/2169856/longer-race-stronger-we-get

I don't know how many folks on here have heard of Beryl Burton? Beryl was a cyclist from the 1950's to the 1980's, and she won scores of titles at national and World level on road and track.
In 1967 she set a national 12 hour time trial record of 277.25 miles. Mike McNamara won the men's event with a new national men's record of 276.52 miles. During the event, Beryl caught and passed Mike before the finish.
It was two years before the men's record was further than the women's record.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beryl_Burton

deydododatdodontdeydo Thu 17-Jan-19 15:04:51

Endurance running is a niche sport, and I wouldn't have been surprised to see no mainstream coverage, it usually gets none.
However, it's front page news on the BBC website.

theresaspiderinthesink Thu 17-Jan-19 15:11:04

Speaking as the mother of a breastfed 8 mo old, who likes to bf frequently at night and is on the 96th centile (aka a very heavy wee monkey!), I can see why she won this race!

She's been essentially doing it for 14 mo!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: