Talk

Advanced search

'Why feminists should support transgender rights' TedTalk by Amelia Abraham (journalist)

(32 Posts)
R0wantrees Wed 16-Jan-19 17:37:32

www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=109&v=Rk1NO1BB7KQ

(if anyone has a TRA bingo card, its definitely worth getting it out)

Katispancuddly Wed 16-Jan-19 17:42:57

I managed a bit....

I did try

Thingybob Wed 16-Jan-19 17:44:44

I gave her the courtesy of listening last night but there was so much wrong with her thinking and logic.

R0wantrees Wed 16-Jan-19 17:48:10

Stonewall have been running training for 'Trans Allies' for sometime.

'A VISION FOR CHANGE: Acceptance without exception for trans people'
Produced by Stonewall Trans Advisory Group
Published by Stonewall 2017

www.stonewall.org.uk/sites/default/files/stw-vision-for-change-2017.pdf

Stevienickssleeves Wed 16-Jan-19 17:48:45

TedX talks are ted talks shitty cousin. The quality of speakers and subject matter is dire.

R0wantrees Wed 16-Jan-19 17:50:47

from Twitter bio Amelia Abraham:
"Managing Editor of dazedbeauty.com + journalist for @ guardian @ VICEUK @ refinery29UK My first book, Queer Intentions, with Picador, out in May 2019"

Knicknackpaddyflak Wed 16-Jan-19 17:58:23

I really can't. I have been lectured on 'positive trans messaging' before.

There's a big difference between supporting LGBT right to freedom from discrimination and male violence, and suppressing the reporting of anything negative whether or not it's true, fair and in the public interest, while unconditionally promoting bullshit, anti science, anti woman and anti safeguarding propaganda.

R0wantrees Wed 16-Jan-19 18:01:34

It is an interesting example of propaganda.

JustPoppingIn Wed 16-Jan-19 18:03:03

I stopped listening at "and we can genuinely save people's lives".

R0wantrees Wed 16-Jan-19 18:06:53

FiLiA's recent reply to Sally Hines by their spokeswoman, Heather Brunskel-Evans is a good antidote an also applicable to this talk:

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/womens_rights/3480710-A-Reply-to-Sally-Hines-by-Heather-Brunskell-Evans-FiLiA-Spokeswoman

OrchidInTheSun Wed 16-Jan-19 18:15:31

Amelia is queer. I'm still not entirely sure what this means. Is she a lesbian or a heterosexual woman who wants to make herself sound more interesting. The loudest non binary person I know is a heterosexual woman in a long term relationship with a man which is why I ask.

From what I can see, queer and non binary are just ways for middle class white kids to make themselves come across as a bit edgy but I'm happy to be corrected.

VickyEadie Wed 16-Jan-19 18:22:05

I saw Stonewall's tweet about this, referring to trans people dying at the hands of evil feminists (or some such - I'm not exaggerating that much).

So, no Stonewall, I won't listen to shite endorsed by an organisation that makes such blatantly false, inflammatory claims about the likes of me.

ChewyLouie Wed 16-Jan-19 18:48:58

Tedious .
Feminists should support transgender rights. Why? If transgender women are women then why the rallying cry to feminists who already centre women? Unless..... psst the speaker thinks transgender women are not who they say they are!?! She has a book coming out in May, any publicity is good publicity.
As for the tweet, apparently 1.8 people die every second, I expect feminists are to blame for that too.

AnyOldPrion Wed 16-Jan-19 18:53:57

I saw Stonewall's tweet about this, referring to trans people dying at the hands of evil feminists

Always women to blame for everyone’s problems.

The 2012 Swedish study suggested trans people need ongoing psychological health care. The push to transition and consider it a cure is at the root of this problem, not women. Moreover, if the treatment wasn’t moving towards affirmation of something that can never be true, and instead concentrated on managing impossible expectations and desires, then everyone would benefit.

R0wantrees Wed 16-Jan-19 21:15:50

Feminists should support transgender rights. Why? If transgender women are women then why the rallying cry to feminists who already centre women? Unless..... psst the speaker thinks transgender women are not who they say they are!?! She has a book coming out in May, any publicity is good publicity.

Proofs of the book

NotMeOhNo Wed 16-Jan-19 22:16:23

Fans of Louis Theroux will like this book...

littlbrowndog Wed 16-Jan-19 22:21:15

All this stuff is so classist. Is that a word but you know what I mean

frazzled1 Wed 16-Jan-19 22:41:53

Amelia describes going to lunch with three of my female friends.

Then mentions that one of those friends is trans. (She seems to avoid saying TW, lots of talk of trans people).

Just wow. TWAW not enough Amelia? Are TW now female? shock

Later: yes, a woman can be anything? Guess that anything includes being male.... hmm

WokeNotBloke Wed 16-Jan-19 22:53:46

The best bit is how she sets out her stall by discussing her sex-in-the-city-style lunches with the "girls" in restaurants they can't afford, before slipping in life expectancy figures for TW living in third world slums and working as prostitutes. Classy.

CroneXX Wed 16-Jan-19 23:21:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ChewyLouie Wed 16-Jan-19 23:48:50

Thanks R0wantrees looks like the book is going to be pretty much what I expected.
Crone I think that may have been due to a cut and paste error that merged two different sentences. I’ve corrected it, I don't want to be a part of feminism.

Coyoacan Wed 16-Jan-19 23:49:32

It is an interesting example of propaganda

All very emotive and a clever confusion up of facts. Men are so dangerous that some men have to come into our spaces to get away from them, but how transphobic of us not to want men in our spaces.

DancelikeEmmaGoldman Thu 17-Jan-19 03:15:26

CroneXX, this is a really insightful comment.

“ou want women-who give birth to the next generation & care for elderly relatives plus have an eye out for safeguarding of everybody's children to take on responsibility for even more people-including men (they do not know).”

It explains why men get to be so critical of the movement, but women are threatened with violence. At some level the TRAs are so deeply indoctrinated with gender stereotypes, that they are outraged to the point of blind rage, that many women refuse to care for them. Maybe it’s some peculiar narcissism which has never forgiven their mother for weaning or something, and every time a feminist refuses their demands they kick and scream like a baby refused a teat.

I’m not serious about that really, but their rage is not rational or justified, it’s that of someone who feels they have been deprived of something they had no right to in the first place.

CroneXX Thu 17-Jan-19 14:53:54

CroneXX Thu 17-Jan-19 15:26:14

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: