Talk

Advanced search

Reply to my letter to the BBC re Karen White and Jimmy Savile

(77 Posts)
Sarahjconnor Fri 30-Nov-18 19:28:29

I hope that some wise women have time to help me digest this reply to my letter to the BBC. I am pleased they have taken it seriously but they clearly don't understand that calling a rapist 'she' and referring to them using preferred pronouns is traumatic for any victim of sexual assault, I think it is gaslighting victims.
I have redacted bits that would 'out' me or reveal personal things that I feel are too difficult for me.
I will put it on a separate post so below. Thank you

OhHolyJesus Tue 11-Dec-18 14:39:14

Keep going OP - justice can be hard won. You deserve better than what was sent. Keep being angry but also take care of your mental health xx

Sarahjconnor Tue 11-Dec-18 12:25:22

Reply sent smile

Sarahjconnor Fri 07-Dec-18 21:54:49

wine

NotMeOhNo Fri 07-Dec-18 19:55:53

I would put the disciplining of that WH host for writing reasonably and respectfully. That was shocking and showed how little power women have in the BBC.

LikeDust Fri 07-Dec-18 19:36:17

flowerswine

Sarahjconnor Fri 07-Dec-18 19:34:12

I think i'm done. I am going to sit on it overnight and send it at some point over the weekend.

Sarahjconnor Fri 07-Dec-18 18:26:09

I'm really not, but I am fucking furious. A seriously angry middle aged woman is a force of nature,

Sarahjconnor Fri 07-Dec-18 18:26:03

Thank you so much smile

arranbubonicplague Fri 07-Dec-18 18:03:01

anyone can remember the BBC interview where a TRA said "there are different types of women, trans women, black women, angry women"

I think the comment came up during an LBC programme with Dr Julia Long (see OP there):

The trans-activist they on says that we should make space for all kinds of women: including "angry" women.

Yes, now there are women, angry women and trans women.

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/womens_rights/3342195-Dr-Julia-Long-has-just-been-brilliant-on-LBC?messages=100&pg=1

Procrastinator1 Fri 07-Dec-18 17:54:46

Was it Sophie Cooke with Mark Urban on Newsnight?

SonicVersusGynaephobia Fri 07-Dec-18 17:45:45

I remember hearing the "angry women" comment, can't remember what programme it was on. Was it Joss Prior or Juno Dawson? Or maybe Jane Fae on PM? IIRC, it was then alluded to again in a "lots of women wouldn't want to share a changing room with an angry woman" way.

Also, Sarah, you're incredible.

Sarahjconnor Fri 07-Dec-18 17:26:52

Thanks for all the support. I am drafting my response and wondered if anyone can remember the BBC interview where a TRA said
"there are different types of women, trans women, black women, angry women"

Anyone recall?

Thanks

ImPreCis Mon 03-Dec-18 17:21:30

I want to echo all the wonderful comments on here Sarah, you may not feel that you are, but you must be incredibly strong to have coped with all this, and still be pushing against the BBC.

With regard to White, I think I would ask specific questions, such as when does a transgender person (who it not available to question) become the other gender? Do they have to have a GRC? IF so, how do they know? How do they decide on someone who is gender fluid, but unable to conform how they wish to be addressed? How do they expect the general public to follow this, as it is impossible to understand without reference to ‘trans’ Should they not state that , legally, perpetrators of rape can only be Male? Etc etc.
This is an area of BBC policy that should be open and clear to all.
Good luck.

thecompletenonsequitur Mon 03-Dec-18 11:37:43

From the BBC letter The BBC seeks to lead the way in creating a fully inclusive culture which values women’s contributions and supports women to succeed.

This is how much the BBC has supported women to succeed. They manage to squeeze in three women out of a board of thirteen members.

GreenHats Sun 02-Dec-18 20:26:38

I don't have any more wisdom to add to the advice already here but wanted to say thank you for doing this. I think it's hugely valuable that you are reminding people both here and at the BBC how awful Saville was and that they have not really learnt anything.

You truly are brave

happygolurkey Sun 02-Dec-18 17:55:26

some examples of bias here

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/womens_rights/3296433-BBC-Bias-Collecting-Examples-here

you are awesome flowers

Bubonicpanic Sun 02-Dec-18 14:00:25

It's interesting that the reply has come from HR. You have complained about editorial output and yet they have pushed it back to HR to answer. Why? My view is that the whole pronoun bollix comes from the diversity and inclusion people who are part of HR. They have enforced the Stonewall policy on every one whether they want to or not and so this question was pushed back to them to answer. HR writing about editorial and programme interviewing policy. Very unusual. So why? I suspect a bit of disowning going on at the production end. If HR are forcing production to use pronouns let them deal with the problems it causes.

That's why it is such a shallow answer. They are shallow people. The ideology they are enforcing is shallow and they have a shallow understanding of it and no real clue why they are doing it in the first place other than #inclusion.

BBC claptrap

QuackPorridgeBacon Sun 02-Dec-18 12:30:41

Oh that’s brilliant. I know this isn’t about me but I remember telling the first person who believed me about my abuse, it gave me some sort of invisible strength and helped me a lot. I’m glad you’ve managed to tell someone and having that support makes you stronger.

LangCleg Sat 01-Dec-18 23:11:31

he read my full letter and stood up and clapped in the pub

Yay! No more than you deserve, darling.

LurkingWaspi Sat 01-Dec-18 23:04:06

Good on you for telling him, been concerned about you.
Fantastic DB Sarah, and fantastic you flowers

Sarahjconnor Sat 01-Dec-18 23:00:21

Thanks so much women of FC.

I have just got back from a meal with my youngest DB and a family friend where I told them everything that has happened to me at the hands of horrible men and the BBC and West Yorks Police and he was so kind and supportive - open mouthed in horror and shock that I'd been hiding it so long. It was like a weight lifted off me. Thanks for giving me the courage to tell him, he read my full letter and stood up and clapped in the pub grin.

LurkingWaspi Sat 01-Dec-18 18:43:16

Lizzie has a really good point there Sarah, just give some clear and recent examples.
Please do not burn yourself out searching and searching.
Stick to the main points of your complaint which is about YOU and how YOU feel, with appendices and some recent examples. Highlight the key points regarding the disgraceful response to you from the BBC re KW. These points have been made so well here, by yourself and others.
KW was not a guest, but an imprisoned rapist.

You are an amazing and courageous woman. Most important is your well being and mental health.

It is very triggering what you are doing, I really understand, please look after your health. We care. flowers

LizzieSiddal Sat 01-Dec-18 16:49:07

Sarah please don’t feel you have to find numerous examples of their shitty reporting. It sounds like you have several, you can put them in your letter and state “these are a few recent examples”.
Re Karen white, point out that KE was not a guest on any programme so how did they “check” their pronouns?

Ihopeyourcakeisshit Sat 01-Dec-18 16:43:38

Please make sure you take care of yourself while you are doing all this Sarahflowers

Sarahjconnor Sat 01-Dec-18 16:37:45

I am going to compile a list of links and days/times of specific broadcasts here, if anyone has things to add - tweets/whatever it is much appreciated. Thanks:

Stop centring children in their abuse:
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-45777787
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-22870897

Women's hour referred to KW as a woman, repeatedly but then recently as a man, how can I find out dates of broadcast?

2 males, setting women straight on how they should 'woman':
twitter.com/bbcnewsnight/status/1050146831571644416?lang=en

the difference between this explanation:
www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-scotland-tayside-central-45151228
and this:
www.eveningtelegraph.co.uk/fp/dundee-childrens-convener-quits-after-foul-mouthed-social-media-outbursts/

A lot of what is linked is trans rights activism rather than straight forward misogyny.

Any more examples anyone has much appreciated.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »