Talk

Advanced search

GRA & women's rights - great article by Rosa Freedman & Rosemary Auchmuty

(10 Posts)
Oldstyle Fri 17-Aug-18 15:07:43

Rosa and her colleague back out on the barricades with this clear overview. We're starting to build quite a collection of well-argued expertise to pit against the gibberish.
ohrh.law.ox.ac.uk/womens-rights-and-the-proposed-changes-to-the-gender-recognition-act/

ReluctantCamper Fri 17-Aug-18 15:17:48

God it's nice to read the word 'sex' where that's what the writer means. A really clearly written article

Oldstyle Fri 17-Aug-18 15:24:55

Yes it's an unalloyed joy innit!

TransplantsArePlants Fri 17-Aug-18 15:27:25

Great; another succinct, well-written article. Thank you Rosa and Rosemary

AncientLights Fri 17-Aug-18 15:32:34

I so wish I could write with such clarity. Thanks to Rosa and colleague.

SusanBunch Fri 17-Aug-18 15:35:06

Thank you. This is fantastic. Yet another big name professor added to the list. Rosemary has an incredible reputation for feminist legal scholarship spanning several decades. I would love to see some of the woke kids try to argue against her. While some junior academics have tried to smear them, there has predominantly been silence rather than a load of outrage and condemnation. My guess is that many feminist academics agree with everything Rosa and Rosemary are saying, but aren't feeling brave enough to voice it at the moment.

Wanderabout Fri 17-Aug-18 20:46:34

This is a great article thank you.

R0wantrees Fri 17-Aug-18 22:06:43

Its significant & heartening that it is published on the The Oxford Human Rights Hub.

A previous article by Tara Hewitt and Peter Dunne (both of TELI) was published here as referred to at the bottom of this one.
ohrh.law.ox.ac.uk/gender-recognition-self-determination-and-segregated-space/

TELI (Trans Equality Legal Initiative) was co-founded by Tara Hewitt, Jess Bradley and Michelle Brewer.

TELI has been very influential & is discussed on current threads:
www.mumsnet.com/Talk/womens_rights/3325623-Jess-Bradley-a-government-advisor-on-womens-rights-suspended-by-NUS-over-indecent-blog-Part-iii

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/womens_rights/3318961-Ultimate-betrayal-by-the-WEP

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/womens_rights/3325882-WEP-conference-questions-for-panel-of-trans-rights-advocating-barristers

PeakPants Sat 18-Aug-18 16:44:06

www.feministcurrent.com/2018/08/16/penises-dont-kill-people-people-penises/

Just made a thread about this blog. More academic women adding their voices.

scepticalwoman Sat 18-Aug-18 18:21:44

That's a good article! And academia needs to hear this as the universities are being used as the recruiting grounds by the misogynists.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »