Talk

Advanced search

Jess Bradley - a government advisor on women's rights suspended by NUS over indecent blog. Part iii

(1000 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

MipMipMip Fri 03-Aug-18 13:54:29

There doesnt seem to be another part 3 coming up si here goes.

Molokonono Sun 30-Sep-18 13:48:45

I heard through twitter [Rose of Dawn?] that JB was serving out a suspension and going to be returning to work early in the new year.

Sorry for not so detailed info, it's been a busy week and I saw it on the train when the network was in and out...

2BorNot2Bvocal Sun 30-Sep-18 14:16:28

Rose of Dawn says latest from NUS is investigation still ongoing so no decision yet.

Molokonono Sun 30-Sep-18 14:25:57

It must have been from somewhere else then...i'll try and remember where.

SophieLMumsnet (MNHQ) Sun 30-Sep-18 16:20:49

Hi all,

We've had to delete a number of reported posts that simply weren't in the spirit of civil debate. Please do take a look at our Talk Guidelines as it would be a real shame to have to remove the whole thread.

heresyandwitchcraft Sun 30-Sep-18 16:36:43

Please, for the love of Mumsnet do not delete this thread. It holds such valuable information, obtained by the hard work of so many dedicated posters.

Floisme Sun 30-Sep-18 16:58:21

I've just skimmed all 35 pages of this thread and, out of 855 messages, I counted 11 deletions, of which 10 were made over a month ago.

I'm a bit surprised that this is worthy of a warning although I can understand that the thread must be getting under some people's skin.

Anyway seeing as I'm here, Good evening NUS, do you have any news yet?

KatVonGulag Sun 30-Sep-18 17:50:36

Ha.
Mike drop Floisme

Stop hiding this NUS
This is one individual. They don't represent all trans people but they've sure done harm to the cause if the allegations are true.

Thanks to the courageous Rose of Dawn for her work on this.

VickyEadie Sun 30-Sep-18 19:54:18

I see that although the subject of the thread can post photos of them doing something offensive to women, it can be referred to in press articles - but a jocular reference to it by me got deleted as 'not in the spirit'...

Right.

LurkbeaLady Sun 30-Sep-18 20:55:11

Are people still researching into JB's past?

Sorry, I read the first thread but I didn't keep up with the subsequent ones...

LurkbeaLady Sun 30-Sep-18 20:56:23

Wouldn't actually put it past them though eh, Vicky.

VickyEadie Sun 30-Sep-18 20:57:24

Wouldn't actually put it past them though eh, Vicky.

No, I wouldn't!

breastfeedingclownfish Sun 30-Sep-18 21:52:07

JB has been pretty quiet although I think has been behind the mad Teli tweets. It must be very frustrating to be in exile and not have the freedom to roam on buses and explore photography

Molokonono Mon 01-Oct-18 09:10:17

but a jocular reference

Jocularity is banned. Sorry. I thought you knew.

R0wantrees Wed 03-Oct-18 12:28:33

Jess Bradley has been a prominant activist for 'transgender' prisoners' rights. JB.uses their platform of being NUS TRans Officer, Director of Action For TRans Health and Co-Founder of TELI to advise government and parliament.
Did JB have a specific remit for prisons in TELIUK ?

I'm curious to know how Jess Bradley and these influential organisations view the impact on the victims, prisoners, prison staff and general public of the way that Karen White and Jacinta Brooks' trials were conducted, reported and subsequent MoJ decisions about their imprisonment.

Both Brooks & White are serial rapists & paedophiles and a danger to children and women.

Brooks and White are transwoman, their prefered pronouns are she/her.

My understanding is that Jess Bradley not only campaigns for these two transwomen to be moved to female estate, JB also has called for the release of all trans prisoners?

metro.co.uk/2018/10/01/trans-woman-41-pretended-to-be-a-boy-to-groom-a-girl-7994533/
www.mumsnet.com/Talk/womens_rights/a3381513-Woman-41-pretended-to-be-a-boy-to-groom-a-girl

R0wantrees Thu 04-Oct-18 09:52:32

Comprehensive lead article in Spectator, includes critique of TELI, co-founded by Jess Bradley with Tara Hewitt (mentioned)

'Trans rights have gone wrong
The new gender orthodoxy allows no room for dissent'
(extract)
"Is it possible that this is simply part of a wider crisis of mental health among girls?

I don’t know, and neither do the doctors and scientists who study this issue. If you talk to the clinicians at the Tavistock Clinic in London, the NHS centre for the treatment of gender-variant children, they’ll tell you that all the factors I mentioned may be at work, but the evidence base is still incomplete, that they need more time and data before offering explanations. (They’ll also tell you that quite a lot of the children referred to them as ‘transgender’ will in time ‘desist’ and decide to live in their original gender.)

The government now intends to commission research into all this. You might think that sounds sensible and mundane. You would be wrong.

According to Tara Hewitt, founder of the Trans Equality Legal Initiative (TELI), prominent campaigner for transgender rights and an adviser to numerous public bodies including the NHS, the proposed research is ‘absurd and offensive’. The project should be ‘dropped in the bin — it’s simply not an inquiry that needs to happen,’ Hewitt reckons.

This is the quintessential trans-rights response to scrutiny: even looking for facts about children’s welfare is transphobic. Just accept that trans girls are girls and trans women are women. End of debate." (continues)

"Such cases help explain why a significant number of women (and men) are deeply uncomfortable with the agenda promoted by Stonewall, TELI, Allsorts Youth Project and the rest of a loose network of ‘trans-rights’ advocates who enjoy immense influence in public life today, and significant public funding.

Others groups include Mermaids and the Gender Identity Research & Education Society, both frequently consulted by councils, NHS trusts, police forces and Whitehall departments for guidance on applying the law around transgender children. Both are tiny charities run not by lawyers but by parents whose children changed gender; it’s hard to think of another field of policy where personal experience is prioritised over objective expertise." (continues)

thread:
www.mumsnet.com/Talk/womens_rights/3384307-James-Kirkup-Spectator-lead-article-Trans-rights-have-gone-wrong-The-new-gender-orthodoxy-allows-no-room-for-dissent

R0wantrees Thu 04-Oct-18 10:58:43

Current threads:
www.mumsnet.com/Talk/petitions_noticeboard/3384045-Petition-to-Stonewall

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/womens_rights/3384407-Times-letter-petition-STONEWALL-CRITICISED-undermining-women-s-sex-based-rights-and-protections-Jonny-Best-et-al

R0wantrees Thu 04-Oct-18 11:22:31

current thread:
www.mumsnet.com/Talk/womens_rights/3384455-Ruth-Hunt-Stonewall-do-not-and-will-not-acknowledge-that-there-is-a-conflict-between-trans-rights-and-sex-based-women-s-rights

R0wantrees Fri 05-Oct-18 13:12:02

BBC 2 Politics Live (availbel soon on catchup)
discussed free speech in Universities and also the GRA:

guests:
Baroness Helena Kennedy, Conservative MP George Freeman, president of the National Union of Students Shakira Martin and journalist Brendan O'Neill

www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0bl5h12

Brendon O'Neill recent comment on transactivism, free speech and misogyny:
www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=25&v=yR6ZP0y8mJw

Bolloxio Sat 06-Oct-18 22:33:41

So are we to conclude that the NUS has agreed to hold off Bradley's disciplinary for 6 months?
Is this to ensure that Bradley's sexually deviant proclivities don't interfere with the success of Bradley's government lobbying to bring down women's legal boundaries against deviant men?

Its almost unbelievable.

But quite why IS this being brushed under the carpet in such a manner. I would be utterly disgusted if Jess has just been suspended, with pay, for 6 months mind. Thats rewarding Jess for their alleged actions. And surely if Jess has indeed been suspended, then evidence was found that that was indeed Jess' penis, out at Jess' office desk?

R0wantrees Thu 11-Oct-18 13:48:30

Prof Kathleen Stock speech at House of Lords, WPUK meeting on the issues with Trans Equality Report and policy primarily informed by lobbyists and those with lived-experiences:
(extract)

"Turning now to the next principle governing selection of advisors:

c) Did any advisors have backgrounds which undermine their credibility?

In my view, the most obvious counter-example here is Jess Bradley, called upon as the very first witness to the Inquiry. Even leaving aside Bradley’s suspension from the NUS since the Inquiry, there is already a strong suggestion of a lack of credibility here, when we consider that Bradley’s associated organisation, Action for Trans Health, publicly calls for, among other things:

· the immediate release and pardon of all trans prisoners;

· an end to all birth certificates; and

· hormones to be prescribed, free and upon request.

All of this suggests Bradley is an extremist who never should have been called to give evidence in the first place. A bit of due diligence could surely have established this." (continues)

thread with link to full text:
www.mumsnet.com/Talk/womens_rights/3391330-Prof-Kathleen-Stock-WPUK-speech-at-House-of-Lords-Important-disection-of-the-key-issues-for-MPs-policy-makers-etc-with-ref-to-The-Trans-Equality-Report

R0wantrees Fri 12-Oct-18 19:54:15

Rose of Dawn
twitter.com/Rose_Of_Dawn/status/1050683745072803840

BernardBlacksWineIcelolly Sat 13-Oct-18 08:38:39

ah R0wan, I was just coming here to post that

wtaf are the NUS thinking?

why the foot dragging?

AngryAttackKittens Sat 13-Oct-18 08:51:12

It's almost as if the NUS is hoping that if they drag their feet long enough people will forget/lose interest and they can just quietly reinstate Bradley...

PencilsInSpace Sat 13-Oct-18 10:18:58

It was interesting to read on Rose's twitter thread that Jess Bradley has been suspended without pay. This is not normal procedure according to ACAS.

R0wantrees Sat 13-Oct-18 10:23:36

It sounds like a deal has been struck eh?

Maybe as far as the NUS goes, JB's work is done?

Its obviously beneficial to JB's other connections both individuals and organisations such as UK TELI, Action For Trans Health etc for JB to keep head down just now (especially whilst the govt consultation is running) and get on with their PhD

This thread is not accepting new messages.