Talk

Advanced search

TRA and 'The Crying Game'

(14 Posts)
sashh Sat 23-Jun-18 11:06:36

Just had a mindless thought pop in to my head.

What would the film The Crying Game be like if Dil had been a TRA?When Fergus is vomiting would Dil be giving a lecture that he is being 'literally violent' towards her?

CuriousaboutSamphire Sat 23-Jun-18 15:10:39

Ooh! Yes, that is definitely a mindless thought... but you have reminded me of one of the saddest moments in my film viewing career... when I found out that Jaye Davidson's real name in Alfred Amey shock

AncientLights Sat 23-Jun-18 19:38:33

How would 'Tootsie' with Dustin Hoffmann be viewed now? Or 'Mrs Doubtfire'?

sauceyorange Sat 23-Jun-18 19:40:07

I was watching Brooklyn 99 he I her day and that annoying Peralta started banging on about how Ace Ventura was transphobic. I mean really

sashh Sun 24-Jun-18 11:43:32

I doubt there would be a problem with Tootsie until the reveal. He is a man who pretends to be a woman to get a woman's job.

BeyondSceptical Sun 24-Jun-18 11:45:03

Ah, a thread that gives me the opportunity to share my favourite TRA link of all time...

www.thesociologicalcinema.com/blog/the-not-so-hidden-transphobia-in-silence-of-the-lambs

pachyderm Sun 24-Jun-18 18:22:38

It's funny how The Crying Game has been reclassified as a film about a "transwoman". Neil Jordan said it was based on this interesting subculture he observed in 1970s London pubs of big Irish bricklayers having relationships with gay transvestites like Dil in the film. They knew their "girlfriends" were male but didn't mind. Jaye Davison has said himself that he has never been "trans", and never wore a dress before the film, he was just a feminine gay man who looked good in drag. He's quite beefy and masculine now.

But if you Wiki the film you'll see a po-faced description of Dil as a "transwoman" despite the word not existing in 1992.

sauceyorange Sun 24-Jun-18 22:32:30

beyond that is quite the blog.

'Although Jame Gumb was a ruthless murderer who skinned people alive, if she identified as a woman, she was a woman.'

What on earth are they teaching sociology students these days. Incoherent drivel

pachyderm Sun 24-Jun-18 23:05:43

Jame is a classic AGP..."he covets"..

Prawnofthepatriarchy Sun 24-Jun-18 23:30:05

Ed Gein was another AGP,. He was also a grave robber and a serial killer. He made a corset out of women's skin and necklaces out of nipples among other things.

I have a morbid streak.

pachyderm Sun 24-Jun-18 23:34:46

Wasn't Jame Gumb/Buffalo Bill based on Ed Gein? I remember Jonathan Demme got criticised for perceived homophobia at the time, whereas now it would be "transphobia".

Bespin Mon 25-Jun-18 04:35:56

The crying game is an interesting film and one of the most debatable younger trans activists often see it in a negative light though those around at the time can see it differently. I would argue that it is one of the portraits of a trans person, it was a film where the main character was trans and this was not the focus of the majority of the film. The portrail showed a complex person who was excepted in there community though it was not clear who else knew. The scene where he vomits was and still is an all to real occurance faced by trans woman.

The problematic things around. This film is the marketing and the way the revival was the main selling point this is the trans panic they are all out to deceive us written large. As this is pre Internet and this was an unknown actor it was unclear at the time if this person was infact trans though they were not people didn't know. As to if the words existed at the time of course these did not but that does not mean that we didn't and a lot of us were part of the gay scene and were starting to branch away from it over the 80s it did offer us a safe place in a society where we were routinely beaten by men and harrased and stopped by the police when out in public.

NaturalBornWoman Mon 25-Jun-18 08:44:08

The scene where he vomits was and still is an all to real occurance faced by trans woman.

What on earth do you mean by this?

KittyKlaws Mon 25-Jun-18 08:55:16

NaturalBornWoman

Don't even bother asking - you won't get a coherent (or rational) reply.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: