Talk

Advanced search

Reply from MSP re GRA

(17 Posts)
Theinconstantgardener Fri 25-May-18 19:22:11

After two months I finally got reply from him or rather the cabinet secretary to whom he had forwarded my and another constituants letter. Its full of the usual platitudes and patronising bull, spectacularly missing the point. Eg insists we have nothing to fear as single sex services will be retained such as refuges and then go on to say these services already are often inclusive of transwomen who do not have a gender recognition cert. Frankly it makes me wonder why I bothered writting at all. Anyway theres three pages of it which I dont want to type in here but if anyone can tell me how to easily post it on this thread Id be happy to.

PlectrumElectrum Fri 25-May-18 19:33:31

Take a Pic & upload?

Theinconstantgardener Fri 25-May-18 19:47:09

Thanks* Plectrum* Will try that.

R0wantrees Fri 25-May-18 19:56:34

WPUK have posted an important comment today re Refuges and Women's services:
womansplaceuk.org/the-silencing-of-feminists-silences-survivors/
(extract)

"As someone who has worked with many survivors of violence over the last two decades, I am terrified – both professionally and personally – about the impact of self ID on ensuring safe spaces are available to women who have experienced and are escaping male violence. Even without the legal changes to the GRA, gender inclusive policies are already happening in many areas, these changes are ahead of the law and already upon us. Moreover they do not appear to be slowing down.

Organisations in the VAW sector can use the Equality Act 2010 for the protection of female-only spaces and I absolutely think we should. I’ve worked with so many female survivors of violence who have been left terrified of men, and who relied on female-only support to heal from the trauma they experienced. The sex-based nature of the crimes they’ve experienced necessitates this being women who share their histories, experiences, vulnerabilities and, yes, biologies. So it is right that VAW-service providers have a strong case to make for protections that enable them to employ and provide access to women on the basis of their sex.

However, to say this right now and to explain why self-ID is feared to be problematic for VAW services opens us up to attack and our ability to continue delivering services that we know change – and even save – female lives."

Wanderabout Fri 25-May-18 20:01:33

Well done for writing. You could send back a reply with a copy of the anonymous note posted above and add your concerns about that.

Or request a meeting and talk face to face to explain your specific concerns.

Theinconstantgardener Fri 25-May-18 20:04:17

Thanks wanderabout thats a good idea. I just feel so disspirited after getting the letter.

Wanderabout Fri 25-May-18 20:07:35

It's great that you wrote, every letter counts. Definitely recommend face to face as it is such a complicated issue and much easier to explain that way.

Theinconstantgardener Fri 25-May-18 20:08:58

Heres the reply. I hope this works coz im a bit if a technophobe!

Theinconstantgardener Fri 25-May-18 20:09:48

Oops failed blush

Theinconstantgardener Fri 25-May-18 20:12:13

Pages not in order sorryblush

BetsyM00 Fri 25-May-18 20:18:37

Well done. It seems to be a common theme for our MSPs to bodyswerve this issue.

I'm keeping a Scottish spreadsheet of all responses so would really appreciate if you could pm me the name of your MSP if you don't post it on here.

I would say it's definitely worth trying to have a conversation with him, and do request that he pass on your concerns to the appropriate Minister (Angela Constance) - he has to do this.

And don't forget you've also got 7 other regional MSPs to contact too! grin

So far it's a pretty dismal picture in Scotland. There is one MSP, a Conservative, definitely in agreement with us. A few more can see some possible concerns maybe, and a few more again reserving any opinion until ScotGov publishes its proposals.

UpstartCrow Fri 25-May-18 20:21:13

TL:DR
Women only spaces will still exist.
Transwomen are women.

BetsyM00 Fri 25-May-18 20:21:16

Oops, I've just seen your photo - looks like that came straight from ScotGov.

Did your MSP proffer his own opinion at all?

Theinconstantgardener Fri 25-May-18 20:27:18

BetsyM00
Thanks. Yes I will pm you. No he didnt offer it, he never does. Just passes on. I think I will try to meet him though i would guess he will toe the party line. He voted for the gender representation thing.

BetsyM00 Fri 25-May-18 20:56:54

Thanks TIG, spreadsheet updated <happy sigh>!

Would love to hear of any more MSP responses...

Hackedoffwoman Fri 25-May-18 21:32:04

I would highly recommend meeting your MSP in person you will be able to have more relaxed convo and they don't have the fear of having something in print! All MSPs are waiting for the results of the consultation (June) so are unwilling to support either side publicly until then.

Waddlelikeapenguin Fri 25-May-18 23:11:04

If you can possibly get face to face do - i think they are all very careful about what they write (or copy!) but some will discuss/listen.

Thank you for the thread though as it reminds me I have another MSP letter to report back on!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: