Talk

Advanced search

Am I transphobic?

(17 Posts)
Jeanhatchet Sun 20-May-18 10:32:19

Not unless - as according to law - you have been hostile or threatened violence towards a trans person.

You would need to display cruelty, humiliation or degradation motivated by your belief that a person is transgender. As you commit a crime against them.

The attack would need to be sustained and targeted. The motivation would need to be established as hatred and therefore hostile.

The hostility would also need to be combined with a criminal offence. Such as assault.

The hostility would need to be proven.

Simply saying "I am a woman. I have a vagina." Or "penis" in the general direction of a person in possession of a penis. Or "You are biologically male" ....Or any of the other things held as examples of terrible transphobia in the present climate would never proceed to CPS.

thebewilderness Sun 20-May-18 17:30:41

How does that blesh with the police training that it is the person who is insulted who determines if the act of insulting them was a violation of the EA?

Jeanhatchet Sun 20-May-18 18:51:18

@thebewilderness It seems to me that this is about crime and a crime has to have been committed alongside which is the aggravated reason of transphobia. This must include the reasons stated.

Otherwise it is simply the crime but without the hostility because towards a trans person etc.

Radical feminist women do not behave in a criminal or hostile way towards trans women when they simply state their belief that woman is a biological sex class and the police would struggle to progress that.

It certainly isn't libellous to say that a man with a penis is a man. It isn't assault. What crime exactly would it be? Harassment? Why? If the man has a penis and is called a male by s radfem woman it's like saying "you have a head". It's not that controversial really.

BeyondPink Sun 20-May-18 19:04:24

Even if it was libellous/slanderous, that would be a civil matter. Can you have a civil hate crime?

Anyway, under disability hate crime regulations, I'd have a counter claim for threatening behaviour based on my disability - as I struggle to lie.
So try it smile

LaSqrrl Mon 21-May-18 01:14:26

It certainly isn't libellous to say that a man with a penis is a man.

And yet, TRAs talk more about their 'lady penis' than we ever do! Just pointing it out.

huffsoy Mon 21-May-18 11:03:42

The OP doesn't understand the law I've studied the law for a life time, if someone considered the act to be a hate crime it gets recorded as such, motivation doesn't come in to it. You can simple say that's not a girl or a boy and laugh and that is a hate crime

Picassospaintbrush Mon 21-May-18 11:06:18

I don't think watching Judge Judy counts huffsoy.

LangCleg Mon 21-May-18 11:18:39

Lifetime. Jus' sayin'.

BeyondPink Mon 21-May-18 11:46:11

Has to be a crime though in the first place to be a hate crime.

Is making simple factual statements a crime? Is it abusive, threatening or harassment to tell the truth in a non-confrontational manner?

huffsoy Mon 21-May-18 12:07:53

That's where you are wrong ask a met police lgbt liason officer and he will tell you that he has to asks if the victim believe that it was a hate crime. If the victim sees it as a hate crime it gets recorded as such.

huffsoy Mon 21-May-18 12:08:58

But hey what do I know I've only only sat on a comity faced with such issues ha

LangCleg Mon 21-May-18 12:10:28

You're confusing hate incident with hate crime.

Why is today all about teaching grandmothers to suck eggs?

huffsoy Mon 21-May-18 12:16:01

I'm not but that is for asking the only one sucking eggs are people like you who hate on us

LaSqrrl Mon 21-May-18 12:19:33

people like you who hate on us

And there, you have the reveal.

AssignedPuuurfectAtBirth Mon 21-May-18 12:21:39

I don't know Lang, but a lifetime study in the use of full stops and commas would come in handy here, so that us stupid wimmen might understand what the fuck we are being lectured on this time.

LangCleg Mon 21-May-18 12:28:38

And there, you have the reveal.

Well, quite. Because the only possible reason for knowing that a hate a crime is a crime with an aggravated factor of hate and a hate incident is something that isn't a crime but upset someone enough that they reported it to the police, is a hatred of trans people. Obvs.

BeyondPink Mon 21-May-18 12:57:09

When organisations have been trained by the likes of GIRES and mermaids, they may well be under the impression that a false interpretation of the law is true. Doesn't make it so though <shrug>

One wonders how someone could be on such an important committee without knowing how to spell 'committee'. Waits for the inevitable dyslexia reveal...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: