Talk

Advanced search

transgender medicine

(116 Posts)
superbstarling Tue 24-Apr-18 22:44:31

I'm new here, you all peaked me. I across this www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mtQ1geeD_c which I think some of you will find interesting!

Ereshkigal Tue 24-Apr-18 22:49:23

It's a good video, I second the recommendation. It explains how the trans medical community works to publish papers etc, as well as its chequered history.

Ereshkigal Tue 24-Apr-18 22:50:25

You have to look past the source which I think is very right wing, I'd forgotten that.

superbstarling Tue 24-Apr-18 22:57:22

yes, I agree that the source is very right wing, but I don't think that it totaly negates the message. I good starting point for more research maybe?

Ereshkigal Tue 24-Apr-18 23:00:20

Me neither. It is very enlightening. I understand why the RW anti LGBT source would put people off though.

superbstarling Tue 24-Apr-18 23:18:08

As I said i'm newly peaked, and have a lot to learn (including checking sources) blush but it is very concerning that the TRA's are so influential.
It is very scary.

AncientLights Tue 24-Apr-18 23:35:39

Thanks for sharing OP. It is interesting and informative. Clearly it comes from a political and religious stance that some (many?) of us here don't share, but he does say at the end that he is also surprised to be working alongside radical feminists and lesbians, if I remember correctly, in this. I liked the slide at around 40 mins into the talk, where he talks about compassion, science and not lobbing back the brickbats thrown at you.

DNAnotGRA Wed 25-Apr-18 16:46:21

This is an excellent non hysterical overview of the very serious issues raised in this entire agenda

crispbuttyfan Wed 25-Apr-18 17:30:24

you do realise this is the kinda reason why mumsnet gets a reputation for transphobia.

Seriously your all cheering a link shared by youtube channel Mass Resisitance?
AN anti lgbt channel hat spreads idiotic propaganda about LGB as well as T.

You do know they oppose womens rights and abortion rights seeking traditional family values.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=oihvPL6wo9s

www.massresistance.org/

I mean if you want to keep spreading and cheering radical propaganda, or anything that attacks the trans community based in inherent transphobia, just don't be surprised that mumsnet has a reputation for transphobia...

MsMcWoodle Wed 25-Apr-18 17:35:50

Hitler was a vegetarian therefore all vegetarians are fascists.

crispbuttyfan Wed 25-Apr-18 17:37:15

but heres a recent link discussing gender identity..

www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6AqrKMZj4s

SusanBunch Wed 25-Apr-18 17:39:45

MsMcWoodle I think the point is rather that if you are a vegetarian and want to persuade others to your viewpoint, you don’t give them information sheets/videos written by Hitler...

MsMcWoodle Wed 25-Apr-18 17:42:14

SusanBunch No - the point is that this is a very overused tactic for shutting down debate.

AncientLights Wed 25-Apr-18 17:42:53

Dr. Van Meter lays out a very clear historical path in this clip. As one who likes to go back to the source to find information to help me think critically about a subject, I find this video helpful. I realise critical thinking isn't a thing that TRAs often engage in, if ever, but I shall persist and make up my own mind. It may very well be that I come across links with organisations that have views that I don't happen so share, but so what? They can voice them. Unlike GC people in the UK.

HerFemaleness Wed 25-Apr-18 17:46:12

This is a very conservative group who thinks it's possible to 'heal' people from gayness. The last time I pointed out that getting in to bed with conservative religious groups was a bad idea I got denounced as a bigot .... but if that sort of thing bothered me I wouldn't be gender critical. These sorts of groups aren't our allies. It harms us to be associated with them.

SusanBunch Wed 25-Apr-18 17:51:26

the point is that this is a very overused tactic for shutting down debate.

Sure. Shall I see if Britain First have also produced a video about concerns over the trans movement and share it? I mean I doubt they are pro-trans....

<Makes argument that TRAs are lesbophobic>

<simultaneously praises a video from group publicly proclaiming that lesbianism is a disease to be cured and doesn't think the source is a problem>

MsMcWoodle Wed 25-Apr-18 17:51:37

Funnily enough, I think that people should be able to watch what they want and make up their own minds.

SusanBunch Wed 25-Apr-18 17:53:01

I agree wholeheartedly HerFemaleness and I have decided to grow a thick skin and don't let it bother me to be called a bigot either. So be it. I can never think these groups are okay.

Trousersdontmakemeaman Wed 25-Apr-18 17:53:05

Yes, it would seem gender ideologists impose an extremely narrow permissible viewpoint, only approved voices can be heard speak, no one who says anything off their message cannot be listened to.

just don't be surprised that mumsnet has a reputation for transphobia...

And there you go, the prejudice and manipulation on display for all, nice girls don't or you will get a reputation.

So we can't watch the man in the video because crisp disapproves of his reputation and if we do crisp will disapprove of our reputation.

Attempted censorship of mumsnet users seems to be a popular pastime these days. Shame we won't shut up.

DNAnotGRA Wed 25-Apr-18 17:53:28

@crispbuttyfan I understand why you would think that however as the narrator (an endocrinologist) states - opposing views are actively discouraged so how else are we meant to find out about anything that is not "gender affirming" when GC views are shut down and the narrative is based on #nodebate?

MsMcWoodle Wed 25-Apr-18 17:53:39

A stopped clock is right twice a day and all that...
I don't think that debate should be shut down unless it incites violence. I like to see people condemn themselves out of their own mouths.

SusanBunch Wed 25-Apr-18 17:55:04

I think that people should be able to watch what they want and make up their own minds

Which is incidentally exactly what I did... I am just one voice though- others on this thread said they thought it was excellent.

SusanBunch Wed 25-Apr-18 17:58:04

Yes, it would seem gender ideologists impose an extremely narrow permissible viewpoint, only approved voices can be heard speak, no one who says anything off their message cannot be listened to.

Nobody is telling you you can't watch it. You can listen to the message all you want and spread it far and wide if you wish.

Ereshkigal Wed 25-Apr-18 17:59:14

It's a really good video in terms of the information provided. Refute the claims he makes, by all means. I do not endorse the wider organisation.

Wanderabout Wed 25-Apr-18 18:08:43

I disagree with the conservative Christian view on most things, and specifically around gay rights, but that doesn't mean they are always wrong. Better to look at what they are saying and think critically about what is being said and make your own mind up from your perspective.

Some senior Catholics were among the very few to speak out against Hitler, for example. www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/history/mwh/germany/oppositionrev_print.shtml

Should they have been ignored due to some of their other questionable views?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: