Advanced search

"Girls" at work

(14 Posts)
Doodlekitty Tue 13-Mar-18 19:56:22

Hi all. Just after opinions if possible. Last week my work (a fairly large, household name business) announced they were launching a network hub for the female staff. Aimed predominantly at the female leadership but open to all females. The name of this hub... Girls Hub.

In the meeting announcing this I voiced, quite strong, concern over the name. I stated it sounded like it was for 12 year olds and was very much infantilism of women in our business, some of who are incredibly powerful (although perhaps that's irrelevant).

Literally everyone in the room dismissed me, and many commented that I was being ridiculous etc.

Am I in the wrong in finding this a bit... Well... Offensive I suppose?

In further discussion with friends they stated that I often use the term "girls" in a similar context, such as "girls night out", I feel this is different as it's in a fun way and I would also say "Boys night out". It feels different in a work environment. But maybe I need to rethink?

MarSeeAh Tue 13-Mar-18 19:59:56

You are right. They are wrong.

It's sounds like something associated with a Bring your Daughter to Work initiative. For staff, it should be women's hub.

AngryAttackKittens Tue 13-Mar-18 20:01:22

I'd have had a hard time not openly sneering during the meeting. If your company employs any "girls" then perhaps legal should look into that. FFS.

AssassinatedBeauty Tue 13-Mar-18 20:04:03

Of course you're right. "Girls Hub" is ridiculous. It's disappointing that no one else can see the issue with it. Just because the word "girls" is used in one context doesn't mean it's appropriate in all other contexts.

Squishysquirmy Tue 13-Mar-18 20:07:22

I agree with you.
But I suppose it is better that something is organised with an imperfect name than nothing at all.
Who set up the network hub? Was it the company, or individuals within in the company?
Because if the latter, I suppose it must be remembered that these women used their initiative and gave up their own time to set something up. People who have done this are often more defensive towards criticisms of what they've created, especially when they perceive those criticisms as "minor". You can kind of see why, but I still think you did the right thing in raising it. If they don't see your point, I would let it drop for now but maybe consider returning to the issue in the future when the opportunity arises.

cazzyc Tue 13-Mar-18 20:10:13

I'm completely with you. Its patronising. Having said that, I find being addressed as part of a female group as "ladies" offensive! People don't say "hello men!"

Melamin Tue 13-Mar-18 20:11:04

Girls night out is fine - you are supposed to be having fun and being immature. Girls Hub is hmm but like others have said, at least there is one. Make it work, whatever it is called as that is the important thing - it will probably gradually need to change name.

Melamin Tue 13-Mar-18 20:12:37

People don't say "hello men!"

They used to start missives 'Gents' where I used to work grin

StringandGlitter Tue 13-Mar-18 20:16:25

I say “Hello Bloke” in response to the guy that walks into my office and says “Hello Ladies”.

But yes you’re right Girls’ Hub is infantalising

Pseudousername Tue 13-Mar-18 20:18:25

Were most of the people in the room dismissing you boys men?!

You're not wrong but embrace it and change the name once established is the approach I would take.

IFancyASliceOfCake Tue 13-Mar-18 20:18:26

Totally inappropriate and ridiculous for a workplace networking space. FFS! 'Girls Hub' sounds like an after school club for 8 yr olds.

Doodlekitty Tue 13-Mar-18 20:22:44

Oh good, I was starting to think I was going mad. It is being set up by women within the business, as an extra to their day job but in work hours, if you see what I mean.

I can't see it taking off if I'm honest, but I will probably sign up despite my reservation about the name. My workplace can be very misogynistic

bunbunny Tue 13-Mar-18 20:38:26

Ask when they are going to set up a Boys Hub for the men to use...

Not that they need one but maybe being called a boy might help them to see how infantilising it feels...

bunbunny Tue 13-Mar-18 20:47:00

Forgot to say - if i'm in a situation where men use the word girls to talk to women, particularly if they're being patronising or belitting, then it's amazing how many of them don't like it when you echo boys or little boys or cubs or similar back to them...grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now