Talk

Advanced search

Help me word my FB comment re The Petition (Gender)

(10 Posts)
Draylon Tue 13-Mar-18 19:27:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Draylon Tue 13-Mar-18 21:03:11

Testingnamechange1 Tue 13-Mar-18 22:37:14

How about ‘please consider signing this petition which asks for a consultation on the effect on women and girls of new legislation to make it easier for a men or women to legally change sex.’

MrsFogi Tue 13-Mar-18 22:50:46

Watching with interest - I think it is really important to share this petition on social media. The downside of not getting 100,000 signatures is that it will look as though not many people feel strongly about this and the GRA will gain impetus/pass smoothly. Free speech has already been eroded in relation to this matter and we now all need to stand up - if enough people do so it will be pretty difficult for the TRAs to successfully attack individuals.
I am Spartacus!

MrsOvarall Tue 13-Mar-18 23:13:12

How about something like: " I don't usually post political stuff, but can't ignore this. There are plans to change the law so that any male can self identify as a woman. If you think that politicians should ask women whether they are okay with this, please consider signing the petition"

Or something! I'm sure that someone else will have a better suggestion. Good luck smile

Draylon Wed 14-Mar-18 18:01:52

SwearyG Wed 14-Mar-18 18:13:48

I’d say something along the lines of really not thinking that in 2018 you would have to be sharing a petition asking for women’s voices to be heard. Then something about how self ID will allow anyone to identify as a woman or man and that the effects on changing rooms, hospital wards, refuges, sports, statistics etc will be of great impact on women and girls and therefore we need to be in the discussion. That we’re not invited to the table is the problem.

I didn’t put the bit in mine about it only being asked that we get to speak and feel I missed my point somewhat. A friend shared it and said so and got a better response.

Tootsweets23 Wed 14-Mar-18 19:31:32

I would also add that Canada changed the law to allow self ID, and has seen a 50% (is that the correct percentage?) increase in voyeurism incidents in department store changing rooms, as predatory men are using self ID to get access to women and girls.

ReluctantCamper Wed 14-Mar-18 19:48:39

you have made me put on my big girl pants and post the petition on facebook. I did badger two uni friends to sign it earlier today and am about to email my mum.

every signature counts right? I'm very pleased to see that I live in an unusually terfy constituency!

NaiceBiscuits Wed 14-Mar-18 19:53:51

So, how to phrase it if you have transwomen and their partners as friends?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: