Talk

Advanced search

Question about being blocked on Twitter.

(11 Posts)
Amortentia Tue 13-Mar-18 11:17:29

I’ve had to create a second twitter account because sadly cant be seen to publicly support gender critical ideas. I’ve been trying to follow some of the accounts that I have followed previously but some of them are blocking me. I’m wondering why this is, my new account looks weird becuase it’s only gender critical/feminist stuff I’m following. Or, are some people now not allowing anyone to follow them to block potential trolls?

pisacake Tue 13-Mar-18 11:35:41

No idea what's your Twitter handle?

PerfPower Tue 13-Mar-18 11:39:37

I've been blocked by 4 people in the last two days. First was LM, then swiftly blocked by the other 3, all labour party members. I have never been blocked before and never interacted/tweeted with any of them. Weird.

Nosetothesun Tue 13-Mar-18 11:59:31

It's a very deliberate strategy using something called 'terf blocker' . If you've been blocked by LM for example, its likely that there are now a number of accounts of key TRA whom you can no longer see. There are though people such as Guiliana who will engage (sometimes provocatively) and then will screen shoot the comments which build a narrative that anyone involved, WPUK & GC people are dangerous, hate-driven bigots. Recent examples have been to do with baseball bats, burning (OJ) books, encouraging rape and suicide. This perspective is shared outwards and reinforced but of course if you are blocked you have a limited view of part of the conversation & are less able to challenge it..... there is a concerted effort to link with Britain First's use of SM to spread hate-crime.
The lobbying is going on very effectively behind the front-line of scrappy twitter exchanges

AssignedPuuurfectAtBirth Tue 13-Mar-18 12:11:01

If you want to view the tweets of someone who has blocked you, open a private/incognito window, put their @twitterhandle into the search box, but don't select the actual account, just view the list of tweets. That way, you will be able to see all the converstions under that @, whether the users were blocked or not.

Screenshot the many lies the TRAs tweet and think they 'TERFs' can't see because they have blocked everyone, then switch windows to your own twitter account and copy the screenshot into a new tweet for the world to see. They don't like it much. They like using TERFblocker so that they can talk lies and shite in their own little echochamber. grin

Twitter is actively targetting Gender Critical people now too, with shadowbanning, twitter jail and enforced deletions.

It's getting pretty dirty out there

Amortentia Tue 13-Mar-18 12:39:56

Weirdly it’s not the TRA’s whine have blocked me I can still see LM et al just fine. It’s some of the gender critical people I’m sure I followed before.

Amortentia Tue 13-Mar-18 12:41:42

*whine= who. Although whine apllies too.

AssignedPuuurfectAtBirth Tue 13-Mar-18 13:14:19

Twitter frops off followers too. TRAs are often techies.

noraclavicle Tue 13-Mar-18 13:14:55

I’ve had that too, OP. Not blocked by any TRAs, but I am blocked by someone involved with A Woman’s Place, even though I’m following various gender critical people & went to the London meeting (not that AWP would know via Twitter)!

Just one of Twitter’s little anomalies I guess

UpstartCrow Tue 13-Mar-18 13:18:34

You need to use your account, don't just leave it at the default settings with no posts on it.
Don't use the blank egg avatar, create an image and upload it. Pick a colour scheme, make a banner in Paint (its about 1500 pixels wide by 500 pixels tall.)

Amortentia Tue 13-Mar-18 19:39:14

I’ve set up my account with a picture so it looks fairly legitimate and have spent an enjoyable afternoon feeling the freedom to tweet, retweet and like others comments. I didn’t realise how heavily I’ve policed my other twitter account so that no colleges were startled by my gender critical ways.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: