Talk

Advanced search

Letter to jeremy corbyn

(20 Posts)
iamawoman Tue 13-Mar-18 06:50:07

https://medium.com/*@shanebea*/letter-to-uk-labour-leader-jeremy-corbyn-on-trans-womens-rights-d7164cfa3aea

Aristaeus76 Tue 13-Mar-18 07:31:54

While I don't agree with transexuals (especially self-identifying) on women only shortlists, I shall defend Labour, because:

1. It's a very complex issue which creates disagreement even among women and feminists.

2. It is a new issue and political parties and society in general is still trying to figure out the right balance.

3. Rhey can't just ignore the opinions of one side of the debate.

I don't think Labour have the balance right on this issue, but I don't think it's done out of malice, I just think they're trying their best to navigate an unknown and complex path, and one would expect any political party to take a wrong path or two along the way. Just my opinion.

iamawoman Tue 13-Mar-18 07:44:24

Its not my letter btw. I think it sets out the main concerns women are having.
Particularly how sex and gender consistently keeps being used interchangeably to suit different agendas and gaslight women and the general public

MIngerDynasty Tue 13-Mar-18 07:50:56

I dissagree with your point 3. Aristaeus.

Labour have actively courted the young tendy non binary vote and actively encouraged the silencing of radical feminists and gender critical women. There is a group chocka full of labour supporters, councillors and even an MP or twe I believe whose soul purpose is screenshotting gender critical voices, creating a file on individual women so they can be "kicked out of labour". Jeremy Corbyn has refued to be engaged on the matter and other than "trans women are women" no one has a sfucking thing to say. Lilly bloody Madison has been horrible to women and left to keep their job, it's vile and spoke openly that they believe women shold be no platformed. You can read the web chats with JC on MN if you want to see for yourself.

Fuck this shit. Fuck it fuck it.

CapnHaddock Tue 13-Mar-18 07:53:14

It would have been very easy for labour to have said that Madigan and Peto were ineligible to stand as women's officers because they don't have GRCs. But they chose not to stand up to them.

Fuck this shit indeed.

MIngerDynasty Tue 13-Mar-18 07:57:15

Oh and additionally when you allow lesbians to be bullied out of their jobs to make room for male lesbians, you can no longer pretend to be about LGBT rights either. You're all about males. That's what labour have done. They've shut lesbians up repeatedly.

Personwithhorse Tue 13-Mar-18 08:10:51

This is an issue about 1 in 1,000 people care about - if that - the good thing is it will lose labour and Mr Nasty millions of votes!

JoyTheUnicorn Tue 13-Mar-18 08:18:05

I think more than 1 in 1000 care, but it sounds so ridiculous that it's not deemed a problem worth tackling.
If this went properly mainstream, with facts rather than "isn't this progressive" and women didn't feel too threatened to voice an opinion, I think we'd soon see the tides turn.
Owen Jones on Twitter tweeted that the push for trans rights was because women pushed back against it, so basically, women, know your place and let the men get on with it.

dorothyparka Tue 13-Mar-18 08:23:46

I don't think Labour have the balance right on this issue, but I don't think it's done out of malice
Labour have always had a problem with women. It's no wonder they've embraced the unashamedly misogynistic TRA agenda with such enthusiasm. Replacing biological women with TIMs is a perfect solution for Labour. Makes me think of the Jeremy Hardy joke about how some men fancy women but don't like them and their perfect woman would be one who's been hollowed out and stuffed with a man.

Aristaeus76 Tue 13-Mar-18 08:39:57

@ MingerDynasty "they've shut lesbians up completely".

So why did they have a prominent lesbian on the same LGBT advìsory board that Bergdof resigned from?

SmurfOrTerf Tue 13-Mar-18 10:04:40

Linda Bellos - still waiting for Jezza to call

The End

aRespectableBureaudeChange Tue 13-Mar-18 10:35:25

Labour always had a problem with women: have always observed misogyny there and a reluctance for it to be named as such. Sorry to say there is an element of some women playing ball and being in thrall of (IMO complete tossers ). Eg Brendan Cox.

I think it often looks like any typical abusive relationship between male and females.

I am hoping someone will clean sweep once and for all and the idea of a hero be gone for good.

My DH has always banged on about labour hating women - it really is obvious to outsiders

re:: complex : I don't see the idea of men not actually being able to become women as complex, unless you don't believe biology/science and do superstition.

Issues around people wishing to change sex are indeed complex and should be addressed and not indulged as a simple idea. It is, and should be, a challenging life decision; one doesn't biologically become the opposite sex though and this is what should be addressed.

ElenOfTheWays Tue 13-Mar-18 10:44:16

I see there is a reply under the letter from a Transwoman which seems designed to completely undermine every point made. But is really just reiterating all the usual weak arguments made. I especially like how Transwomen do womaning better because they appreciate the priviledge of womanhood and we don't. confused

UpstartCrow Tue 13-Mar-18 10:50:34

The Equality Act is the last remaining piece of human rights legislation we have, and all political parties are trying to undermine it. This will mainly affect the rights of women and gay people.
That should concern us.

Either politicians are being devious and underhanded about a hidden agenda, or they are being frighteningly naive, and that should concern us as well.

aRespectableBureaudeChange Tue 13-Mar-18 10:54:23

Yes it is all parties - virtue signalling is getting dangerous -I assume naive and unquestioning is where they are starting from, or else Orwellian present now exists instead of being a possible 'future'.

MIngerDynasty Tue 13-Mar-18 10:56:25

So why did they have a prominent lesbian on the same LGBT advìsory board that Bergdof resigned from?

Really, they have a lesbian so that makes it OK to ignore bullying of lesbians and a refusal to engage with groups fronted by lesbians who want to discuss how this affects them?
Is that like I'm not racist I have a black friend?

They hired a transwoman who said spouted hate about lesbians and either were A useless at their job researching him or B didn't think it was an issue.

swivelchair Tue 13-Mar-18 11:02:46

I've had trouble finding anything other than news reports of Bergdof's appointment/resignation - so I can't see who else is in that group - do you have a link?

aRespectableBureaudeChange Tue 13-Mar-18 11:57:33

tokenism.

JessicaEccles Tue 13-Mar-18 13:38:22

3. Rhey can't just ignore the opinions of one side of the debate

ironic- since they have TOTALLY ignored the views of women on this.....

SuitedandBooted Tue 13-Mar-18 13:46:58

Aristaeus76
but I don't think it's done out of malice

Really?

{https://www.spectator.co.uk/2018/01/women-come-last-in-labours-deranged-victim-hierarchy/

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: