Talk

Advanced search

Mark McDonald

(10 Posts)
mummybear701 Tue 13-Mar-18 01:20:25

I hope it is in order to ask, MNHQ can remove if they don't think so but everything I'm saying is in the public domain already, how regrettable it is that we have a situation where an MSP suspended for misconduct towards women is allowed to return, in the same workplace as his victims, with no recourse to be removed until the next election. Even Nicola Sturgeon has voiced opinion he should resign, however unemployable he will be beyond his MSP salary.

www.scotsman.com/news/snp-msp-complaints-to-holyrood-officials-over-shamed-mark-mcdonald-1-4704466

Or more generally, that at a time when sexual harassment is getting so much attention (politicians, Hollywood, Presidents Club, etc.) it is not sufficient grounds to be removed from the environment their victims and other women will be uncomfortable with their very presence? In my workplace they'd be out to face the consequences I can tell you for sure.

QuentinSummers Tue 13-Mar-18 06:09:34

I don't know about the Scottish parliament but in Westminster there is no recourse to remove an MP except at a general election. If it's the same in Scotland then if he won't stand down, there is nothing to be done until 2022. angry

Whinberry Tue 13-Mar-18 08:14:52

Nicolas sturgeon has a minority government with a slim majority with the greens. Mark McDonald is now independent. So I can see why she wants him to step down in a seat with a large SNP majority...

QuentinSummers Tue 13-Mar-18 08:21:18

whinberry surely anyone decent would step down? He has pretty much admitted being a sex pest. If Sturgeon was that concerned about the seat she could do a Theresa May errors-of-judgment type speech and keep him in the SNP.
I don't think she's motivated by politics on this.

Whinberry Tue 13-Mar-18 08:47:15

Sturgeon is always motivated by politics but in the current climate she couldn't be seen to 'forgive' him. SNP have had a few MP's making 'errors of judgement'. Yes it would be the decent thing to step down but there are other ocassions you could say the same about politicians and they rarely do.

QuentinSummers Tue 13-Mar-18 08:56:18

It is telling how quickly a thread about a male sex pest MP has moved on to deficiencies in a female party leader.

He's disgusting. I would like it for there to be a way to force a by-election in cases like this.

LangCleg Tue 13-Mar-18 08:59:17

This is why we need a recall law.

Amortentia Tue 13-Mar-18 09:03:37

Saw him being interviewed on the news last night, what a creep. Although I did laugh when they said no one wants to be near him and they’ve had to move his office to the basement.

There must be some system in place for blocking him from staying. If not now is the time to make sure this doesn’t happen again that leaves victims of harassment and anyone else for that matter, stuck working in the same environment as an abuser.

Whinberry Tue 13-Mar-18 09:37:33

Quentin I disagree with Sturgeon politically but I wouldn't see her actions round this as a failure (apart from the four months it took) just that it is politically driven. I met her once and her supporters were all over her (hugging her/kissing her confused) it was like she was public property in a way I have never seen with male politicians such Alex Salmond.

Mark has always come across as a bit sleazy and I have no sympathy for him. Also if he wants to stay in office then I think he should have turned up to do some work for the last four months! His last MSP seat was a list one - could he have been removed from that?

Sillydoggy Tue 13-Mar-18 13:13:30

It does seem very wrong that the party can kick him out for misconduct but the people he supposedly represents have no say. I think these situations should always trigger a by-election.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: