Talk

Advanced search

NEC update - March 20th

(23 Posts)
TheGoalIsToStayOutOfTheHole Mon 12-Mar-18 17:47:37

I am not sure exactly why, but my husband has had an email from Ann Black, that seems to have been sent to everyone who sent in concerns about the NEC statements and such a month or so ago. I have not had such an email, and I have not seen it mentioned on here, so I am wondering if maybe he has been sent it in error? Anyway, the important part of it is

Finally I’ve had many messages regarding the position of trans women in the party. The NEC will agree a statement on 20 March, and until then I would urge tolerance and respect on all sides. The party is clear that discussion should never take the form of abuse or intimidation towards those with different views, a restraint which sadly has not always been observed, particularly online.

Abuse and intimidation is not accepted, apparently. Oddly enough, I have very very rarely seen abuse from feminists, so is this a bit of a telling off to TRAs? Surely the sending of peoples personal tweets to get them removed from the party should come under abuse and intimidation?

The official statement will apparently be march 20th

There is also a word doc on the email which I have not read.

I can forward the email onto any members that want to see it, if they did not receive one. Will be sending from an old redundant email address of mine, I would advise maybe setting up a private email to send, as I could be anyone really and..safety first and all that. Stupid that we have to think this way but it has to be done.

Terfmore Mon 12-Mar-18 18:17:37

That's really good to know, thankyou for posting.
It seems to have been put back again (the third time I think) which hopefully is a good sign.

People are under the impression that it is already agreed which it never was.

Fingers crossed xx.

TERFousBreakdown Mon 12-Mar-18 18:21:48

Thanks for posting!

The party is clear that discussion should never take the form of abuse or intimidation towards those with different views, a restraint which sadly has not always been observed, particularly online.

Does 'restraint' happen to extend to dragging women into Spanish Inquisition style interrogations on their social media posts perchance? hmm

TheGoalIsToStayOutOfTheHole Mon 12-Mar-18 18:41:04

I'm genuinely not understanding why he was sent this. Its all pretty boring stuff about stuff tbh, but its useful to know the apparent date they are setting anyway

other stuff inside include

-Keith Vaz and others expressed deep concern that so few BAME candidates had been selected in the priority parliamentary seats.

-There are fundamental issues of trust: not only the NEC but the NCC (national constitutional committee) are seen as increasingly politicised, with members reluctant to come forward. And this does not apply only to sexual harassment, but to other forms of discrimination, bullying and unacceptable behaviour.

-Katy Clark gave an update on the party democracy review. There will be national consultation events for women, BAME (black, Asian and minority ethnic), LGBT+ and disabled members. I stressed that not all local parties could afford to send representatives, and asked for written submissions to be taken into account. We had hoped that BAME and disability status could be recorded on the membership system in the near future, so that these members could be contacted directly at local, regional and national level, but it seems that this requires significant development work.

thebewilderness Tue 13-Mar-18 00:54:45

The party is clear that discussion should never take the form of abuse or intimidation towards those with different views, a restraint which sadly has not always been observed, particularly online.
That is a blatant falsehood since Party representatives are organizing the abuse and intimidation of women.

PositivelyPERF Tue 13-Mar-18 01:02:49

The cynic in me suspects that it is the women that will be accused of attacking, simply by not using the pronouns demanded by the TRAs. We’ll see on the 20th.

CircleSquareCircleSquare Tue 13-Mar-18 01:31:47

Interesting.

MIngerDynasty Tue 13-Mar-18 08:13:25

I don't like the wording as usual it ignores the actual perpetrators and gives the impression there is equal abuse going on both sides.

I'm not saying gender critcal people aren't occasionally being arseholes, yes, I have seen it. But no threates of violence (and certainly no actual violence)

TheGoalIsToStayOutOfTheHole Wed 14-Mar-18 18:56:45

The cynic in me suspects that it is the women that will be accused of attacking, simply by not using the pronouns demanded by the TRAs. We’ll see on the 20th.

Yes, sadly this is probably whats meant. Was a faint glimmer of hope that maybe the abuse that transactivists and their likes throw at women was being acknowledged

That is a blatant falsehood since Party representatives are organizing the abuse and intimidation of women.

Yes, this too I guess. Depressing..

I don't like the wording as usual it ignores the actual perpetrators and gives the impression there is equal abuse going on both sides.

Yeah, reading it again I guess it does come across this way

Ugh. What a fucking mess it all is

Vickxy Sun 18-Mar-18 14:57:13

I just read this elsewhere

I'm heartened by the fact that Labour are postponing AWS decision due to the Mayday4Women resignation campaign and negative publicity.

Is this true? Does this mean this statement I have been waiting for will not come for a long time?

TERFPressJunky Sun 18-Mar-18 15:02:57

They want your vote in May, then they will get rid of all women short lists.

Matt spoke on DP today for Corbyn and his face gave it all away. They take their stuff out on those weaker than them, use people and are only interested in themselves.

OvaHere Sun 18-Mar-18 15:12:30

Still not voting for them in May.

All trust is gone.

TERFPressJunky Sun 18-Mar-18 15:14:36

Matt said they only lost two thousand votes, they will not be happy to lose more votes from women, that's why the June delay.

AssignedPuuurfectAtBirth Sun 18-Mar-18 15:17:18

They might get rid of AWS but what about the Women's Officer positions, like the one Madigan is in? They still have to deal with that shit.

TBH, the only solution for Labour, or any of the parties is to have no sex based positions.

AssignedPuuurfectAtBirth Sun 18-Mar-18 15:17:59

I'm not voting for them until this is clarified. Fuck them

TERFPressJunky Sun 18-Mar-18 15:19:18

They know they have lost your vote, they don't care. They don't want you to stop other useful idiots from voting their own erasure in May.

AssignedPuuurfectAtBirth Sun 18-Mar-18 15:21:43

Yes, but they have pissed off so many women that we will be campaigning against them.

Krakauer Mon 19-Mar-18 09:50:07

Does 'restraint' happen to extend to dragging women into Spanish Inquisition style interrogations on their social media posts perchance? hmm*

^ this!!!

Popchyk Mon 19-Mar-18 10:14:07

BBC link confirming the delay.

The Labour Party were expected to rubber stamp their support for transgender women to be included on all women shortlists.

But the Sunday Politics has learned that that announcement has been delayed so that arguments on all sides can be heard.

The rights of the transgender community have also become part of a wider conversation in Westminster after the government backed calls to simplify the legal process to for someone to change their gender.

Greg Dawson reports.
18 Mar 2018

OvaHere Mon 19-Mar-18 10:21:52

So the BBC miss out the very pertinent information that this is about self ID rather than legally recognised TW.

So unbiased hmm

LangCleg Mon 19-Mar-18 10:35:07

I'm heartened by the fact that Labour are postponing AWS decision due to the Mayday4Women resignation campaign and negative publicity.

I'm not. It's a cynical move over election timing.

They have not changed course. They are not thinking again.

OvaHere Mon 19-Mar-18 10:38:28

I'm not. It's a cynical move over election timing.

They have not changed course. They are not thinking again.

YY

I actually wanted them to come out and state it as official policy to get it out there from under all the shadowy goings on. It would have meant the MSM could properly take it to task and a much wider audience would hear about it.

Popchyk Mon 19-Mar-18 11:29:45

Self-ID is gaining attention in the media now and they don't want the Corbyn-bashing in the right wing media that will follow this announcement, and for that to affect the local elections.

And I'm guessing JJ's legal letter gave them pause for thought. They don't want a long legal case that would give the media lots of opportunity to talk about internal infighting.

How many times have they postponed this now?

Three?

Rather begs the question as to how AWS lists work right now. Are transgender people without a GRC allowed on them? Or not?

Labour can't actually say either way. Just like they can't say what a woman is.

Imbeciles.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: