Talk

Advanced search

Evidence of misandry on Feminist chat.

(566 Posts)
UpstartCrow Sat 24-Feb-18 23:11:18

The last few days, there have been several claims of misandry on Feminist Chat. Please post examples here using a link and screen shot.

Thank you.

sawdustformypony Sat 24-Feb-18 23:33:16

Sounds like fun - shall try to post some tomorrow. It’s a little late now.

Caio

newtlover Sat 24-Feb-18 23:34:39

claims of misandry, or misandry?

AngryAttackKittens Sat 24-Feb-18 23:39:29

She's a witch! Petulant anti-feminist blokes are hilarious.

TheButterflyOfTheStorms Sun 25-Feb-18 00:54:31

Whenever I'm accused of misandry, it seems to be because I called out a lazy, mean, abusive arsehole.

Also, it's 'ciao', unless you're talking Portuguese

LassWiADelicateAir Sun 25-Feb-18 01:02:52

Who has been saying this and where?

But if you want an example that thread about looking at a little boy and wondering if he will be a rapist.

LassWiADelicateAir Sun 25-Feb-18 01:06:53

Which I see has deservedly been deleted.

FrustratedTeddyLamp Sun 25-Feb-18 01:40:52

On the manfriday one in feminist activism one poster suggested going into the mens changing rooms and insulting and degrading their genitals on the basis they were men, even saying she'd somewhat hope it happened to her DS as he isnt concerned about self ID

FrustratedTeddyLamp Sun 25-Feb-18 01:45:16

So i didnt get the wording 100% correct but heres screenshots

Notwellbitch Sun 25-Feb-18 01:57:32

Those screenshots don't seem to talk about what you described at all. Merely a comparison on how some men ogle and critique women's bodies and how maybe they deserve some of the same treatment. The comment re her son I got as maybe he would understand the issue if he was made to feel uncomfortable in the same way women would be.

Also, I don't think she was serious.

KingHaggisIV Sun 25-Feb-18 02:03:17

I've seen lots of pretty misandric (is that even a word!) posts but my memory's so crap I can't remember many of them!

I do remember ages ago reading a thread where posters were laughing about a women setting her partner's genitals on fire. Somebody commented that it would be a different story if a man had disfigured his female partners genitalia and one of the responses was something about smelling burned sausages and another was along the lines of "if we can't laugh about a burnt penis...".

Whilst understanding how people could find this humorous, I did also felt a twinge of disgust at this on a forum where partner violence is so fervently condemned.

KingHaggisIV Sun 25-Feb-18 02:07:00

Also remember the female bosses thread about women undermining each other at work etc and a poster tried to argue it was likely women mirroring men's behaviour or something - refuting the claim that some women are just spiteful. I think Lass was in that thread so maybe she can remember better...

mamaryllis Sun 25-Feb-18 02:13:00

In all honesty, I think you'll find a butt load more everywhere else on the site, where infantilisation of male partners is rife.

Can't comment on any burnt penis threads. Sounds bizarre. Didn't see it.

The whole point of the man Friday thread was to turn the tables, so discussions of how to treat men in male spaces as they treat women, ensued. It's not misandric to suggest that if a woman were behaving like a man, she would be checking out the other sex's package and commenting on it critically. It's a comment about women ordinarily and routinely being on the receiving end of unpleasant male treatment. Hard of thinking much?

PencilsInSpace Sun 25-Feb-18 02:14:04

Pricks.

BloodyMarie Sun 25-Feb-18 02:21:33

Haha, so ..last tuesfay, possibly a month ago thursday there might have been a thread in chat, or i might have overheard a conversation in the paper shop, cant quite remember, where someone said something about a sausage and WELL if it was a woman and, if you look at a boy, what? it was deleted and then....

To summarise, NO, there isnt misandry.

FrustratedTeddyLamp Sun 25-Feb-18 02:22:28

I disagree considering she literally says " what if instead we silently stared at the males, their -uninteresting- crotches, and then commented unfavourably on them to eachother" seems like that constitutes insulting them.and degrading them on their genitals solely because they are men to me

Then in the next screenshot she says
"OTOH i would be very pleased if this were to happen to my DS. He is obe of the " meh, doesnt affect me" brigade, who definitely needs his eyes opened" i guess you could say i was wrong as i said somewhat hope and she used the words " would be very pleased"

I cant see how you can say ive misco nstrued her words? And i find it interesting you write it off as humour, not surprising as some posters will have a vested interest in minimalising what others post, but i would say even if it is a joke does that mean it cant be one of misandrist behaviour? Afterall ive heard many jokes called misogynistic and those telling them misogynists because of them

BitOfFun Sun 25-Feb-18 02:27:21

From an elementary google:

Misandry is the hatred or dislike of men. It is the linguistic equivalent of Misogyny. In cultural sense, misogyny and misandry cannot be considered equivalent, because misogyny is enabled by and structurally entrenched in our modern Western world society, whereas misandry deviates from the norm. Ergo, the usage of the term "misandry" often constructs a false equivalence between the systematic oppression of women and some individuals' dislike of men.

Misandry may more specifically refer to the hatred of traditional male roles, machismo, or male-chauvinism. Such a label may be problematic as it can be exclusive to men who may not fit into these descriptions such as allies or those that are male identified.

Accusations of misandry are often used as a silencing tactic to devalidate or derail feminist discussion (see You're the sexist) or in the straw-feminist caricature. It is also often wrongly associated with radical feminism.

mamaryllis Sun 25-Feb-18 02:29:19

Are you talking to me? I didn't write it off as humour. I explained the entire conversation was about women acting like men. To hold up a mirror to men's actions towards women. I'm sorry if the entire point of the whole conversation went whistling past too fast for you. Maybe have another read. The poster was suggesting that it is normal behaviour for men to comment on women's bodies, and so the reverse of that would be women commenting on men's bodies.

And if you bothered to read the thread instead of scratching around for dirt, I'm sure you noticed lots of posters suggesting that parodying men (ergo using their own poor behaviour to make a point) wasn't wise. Women don't need to parody misogyny to make a point that they are not treated well.

I'm interested in the general premise though. It might lend teeth to the general accusations of feminist man-hating, so I'm interested in how this myth is propagated.

FrustratedTeddyLamp Sun 25-Feb-18 02:32:02

Actually i wasnt Mamaryylis

mamaryllis Sun 25-Feb-18 02:32:45

<the women acting like men thing has strong humorous links though, Obv. It does make me laugh a bit. It makes me thing of comediennes in the eighties and nineties scratching their balls and the like. Sometimes a bit of humour to raise the ridiculousness of the situation is a good tactic. It isn't in the gender debate because it runs the risk of raising tempers and backfiring to solidify gender stereotypes. But sometimes, it is funny.>

mamaryllis Sun 25-Feb-18 02:34:06

No worries. I was trying to google the gal who made a career out of it. Apols.

LassWiADelicateAir Sun 25-Feb-18 02:37:58

and a poster tried to argue it was likely women mirroring men's behaviour or something - refuting the claim that some women are just spiteful. I think Lass was in that thread so maybe she can remember better...

I saw that thread and that comment but didn't reply to that particular comment. I find that sort of excusing bad behaviour by women rather pathetic - basically men are innately awful but women even when being awful are still victims and can't really be blamed or be expected to take responsibility for their actions.

I don't know what in particular has prompted this thread. I don't think the poster who started the "when I see a little boy I wonder if he is a rapist" thread was in good most. Most , although not all, replies said it was unreasonable.

LassWiADelicateAir Sun 25-Feb-18 02:38:46

was in good faith (not most)

BitOfFun Sun 25-Feb-18 02:42:22

My point is simply that "misandry" is not simply equivalent to misogyny. The crucial difference is that it's not backed up by an entire system of oppression.

Notwellbitch Sun 25-Feb-18 02:46:38

I disagree considering she literally says " what if instead we silently stared at the males, their -uninteresting- crotches, and then commented unfavourably on them to eachother" seems like that constitutes insulting them.and degrading them on their genitals solely because they are men to me

In fairness, I haven't read any of the thread you are referencing, just the comment you posted. The previous sentence refers to men looking at women's breasts and making comments on them (which happens quite often, are you saying it doesn't). It's clear to me that the looking at the crotches part is about turning the tables and acting like how some men stare at and rate women, not some calculated plan to degrade men. It's not rocket science.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: