Talk

Advanced search

Labour Islam

(147 Posts)
Flamingowings Fri 23-Feb-18 20:36:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Handbaggage Fri 23-Feb-18 20:47:33

Don't pile in on me but we do seem to be getting into a fetish version of sharia law. I know nothing about this and have no prejudice but this "I am a woman" stuff is no better than the "I divorce you, I divorce you, I divorce you" injustice.

Told you I may be a bit controversial here. Please feel free to correct me on the custom slash law, I am here to be enlightened. I believe utterly and completely in human equality...I'm interested in the regressive nature of apparent progressive movements.

Flamingowings Fri 23-Feb-18 20:58:36

Handbaggage Fri 23-Feb-18 21:02:57

Agreed, deep seated belief is something secular society may sneer at but I am always skeptical of sneering, the reasons for protections of women are honest, the ugly manifestations of that from sociopathic behaviour takes over in all cultures.

Patodp Fri 23-Feb-18 21:03:17

Complaints@labour.org.uk

thebewilderness Fri 23-Feb-18 21:03:26

No questions left in my mind that transgenderism is a faith based belief system that intends to evangelize any and all to convert.

BlindYeo Fri 23-Feb-18 21:09:06

If that first tweet means women should be spending their time campaigning for equality for other groups or their campaigning means nothing, that's nonsense. It's like telling the British Heart Foundation they're a waste of time because they're not campaigning for better cancer care.

As for the second tweet, it's what LM is saying to everyone really. "Want a sex segregated space? You need re-educating." I myself do not think any exceptions or laws should be made on religious grounds. To me, all religions are fairy stories.

Mumsnut Fri 23-Feb-18 21:09:39

Isn't that conversion therapy?

Handbaggage Fri 23-Feb-18 21:17:04

Haha. Loft conversion therapy, there is an empty space up top.

Oops, I've plummeted from the moral high ground to the place at the bottom where we laugh at what is so manifestly daft.

AngryAttackKittens Fri 23-Feb-18 21:37:17

Given that sharia gives women's voices/testimony half the weight of men's, whereas for TRAs hundreds of women objecting to a thing doesn't matter if one man wants it, we can conclude that sharia law respects women more than trans dogma does.

Madigan is totally unsuited to any sort of leadership position, but "trans woman" is currently the ultimate lefty get out of jail free card so he can be as offensive to various other religious groups as he likes.

UpstartCrow Fri 23-Feb-18 21:41:03

I knew it. All the guff about intersectional feminism & white feminism - its just hiding a right wing agenda.

So what do people think women from patriarchal religions and cultures are supposed to do? They are caught between a rock and a hard place.
If you want cultures to change, enable the change to happen. Don't demand women leave their community, there is nothing to replace it with.

Flamingowings Fri 23-Feb-18 21:46:23

AngryAttackKittens Fri 23-Feb-18 21:48:19

The result of this will not be Muslim women being "educated" out of their sense of modesty and their belief in their religious obligations, it will be a curtailment of their ability to exist in public spaces. Which I'm sure doesn't matter at all to Lily, but does to the women involved, and to me.

hipsterfun Fri 23-Feb-18 21:48:41

People are welcome to their hobbies.

UpstartCrow Fri 23-Feb-18 21:54:02

That tweet is in breach of The Equality Act. The only person that needs re-educating is the person who tweeted it.

Handbaggage Fri 23-Feb-18 22:02:54

The law is an arse. We need to move past shouting you have broken an unit for purpose law into establishing what a good law looks like.

VladmirsPoutine Fri 23-Feb-18 22:20:10

I'm going to sit on my hands for this because I happen to think LM is a confused young teen just trying to find his way in the world.

I have revoked my Labour party membership, however. I hope they (Labour) learn a good lesson from this.

<sits on hands for fear of being deleted>

thebewilderness Fri 23-Feb-18 22:26:32

If we are adults at 18 then I think by the time they reach twenty like Madigan it is inappropriate and disrespectful to call them a teen.

AngryAttackKittens Fri 23-Feb-18 22:26:42

If Lily could find his way in the world without erasing women as a class and doing a gleeful little dance every time he throws us under the bus I might be a bit more sympathetic.

VladmirsPoutine Fri 23-Feb-18 22:30:59

If we are adults at 18 then I think by the time they reach twenty like Madigan it is inappropriate and disrespectful to call them a teen.

I think it's inappropriate and disrespectful to try to erase women as a class from the discourse about womanhood but there we go. Ho hum.

LangCleg Fri 23-Feb-18 22:31:46

I hope they (Labour) learn a good lesson from this.

The sad thing is that we are such stratospheric levels of nightmare scenario that the Labour Party think we are the ones who should learn a good lesson from this.

Flamingowings Fri 23-Feb-18 22:37:35

Handbaggage Fri 23-Feb-18 22:38:34

Circles, circles, circles

thebewilderness Fri 23-Feb-18 22:38:38

I think it's inappropriate and disrespectful to try to erase women as a class from the discourse about womanhood but there we go. Ho hum.
Particularly so when done by an adult male.

Xenophile Fri 23-Feb-18 22:43:38

The thing is though that it's not just women of faith who will no longer be able to access public space. There are all kinds of reasons why women might want privacy or at least women only space.

But then, I am sadly of the opinion that the whole bloody thing is basically an MRE ploy to use women to shut women up and return us to the level we were at in the 1950's.

<adjusts fetching tin foil beret>

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: