Talk

Advanced search

Shelley charlesworth & Labour Party self ID motion

(10 Posts)
expatmatt78 Fri 23-Feb-18 03:23:05

Sorry in advance if this has already been spoken about on here. I had to share as I may have even gone beyond peak trans.
Ladies I only began to learn about any of this this year and only from reading on MN and following up with other reading.
Part of me now wishes i still didn't know about any of it and was blissfully aware as I'm reading so much daily that gives me the rage. I'm sure i would be considered a TERF by the TRAs but I haven't been blocked by LM yet so have some way to go !
Anyway to get to the point I saw this on LM twitter (hope I can include image sorry it's my first time )
LM tweet and the motion Shelley was trying to speak out about and the speech she was trying to make.
In the end this was voted FOR and she sounds so defeated on Twitter about it.

expatmatt78 Fri 23-Feb-18 03:24:07

Sorry her speech is unclear I took it from Twitter I'll see if I can improve

expatmatt78 Fri 23-Feb-18 03:28:05

New post from her too

LittleLebowski Fri 23-Feb-18 06:03:58

"He ain't heavy, he's my non-binary sibling!"
"We are family! I've got all my non-binary siblings with me!"
Yes, North Islington CLP are definitely on the right track there. Let us arise, non-binary siblings etc.

swivelchair Fri 23-Feb-18 06:30:35

Why on earth does it need to be a 'non-binary sibling' and not just a 'sibling'? What if you define yourself as a binary sibling (Christ, the things we say these days)

TallulahWaitingInTheRain Fri 23-Feb-18 08:42:59

Gender is a hierarchy, not a binary. I'm a non-hierarchical sibling.

MadamMinacious Fri 23-Feb-18 09:01:18

I'm more concerned she wasn't allowed to finish speaking. That isn't really conducive to debate and hearing both sides is it?

PilarTernera Fri 23-Feb-18 09:01:28

I don't think SC sounds defeated. She later tweeted 'we're not silenced. I have never felt more confident about speaking out.'

If you think about it, the twitter kerfuffle got her message across to more people than would have heard her speech in the local Labour meeting.

HerFemaleness Fri 23-Feb-18 09:13:15

They've become caricatures of themselves.

HerFemaleness Fri 23-Feb-18 09:16:50

I'm more concerned she wasn't allowed to finish speaking. That isn't really conducive to debate and hearing both sides is it?

Not the first time I've heard of this happening. A friend told me at her CLP, she and another gender critical feminist weren't sent important information relating to the meeting. During the meeting they were each given a single limited time slot to state their case, but others were allowed to talk freely and at length.

This friend does check mumsnet so I'm hoping she'll come along and give a more detailed account.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: