Advanced search

Anyone read this?Translated letter from female Brazilian volleyball player

(5 Posts)
PlectrumElectrum Wed 14-Feb-18 13:33:35

On TIMs being allowed to compete in women's sport

Original blog/letter

Translation from twitter - *@Mocha*_Soul

It's pretty blunt & brilliant.

This bit "ever since my adolescence, I needed to prove, scientifically, that I am a woman to compete and, later, to maintain my achievements, titles and medals. How many women did not lose titles or were banned from sport specifically on account of this hormone which is offal in a normal male body? "

And "The sample material taken years ago for anti-doping tests of all athletes, is still kept today and can be, at any moment, accessed and tested again. A new measurement that proves testosterone levels incompatible with a female body can take away titles, achievements of years or decades ago, retroactively. This level of rigour has been completely abandoned to accommodate transexuals who, not long ago, were men, some of whom having competed professionally as men. What would a female transexual sample show?"

Both nail how absurd this situation is.

Given the way women's sport is heading its brilliant to hear women athletes speak out & so brilliantly articulate why this movement towards allowing men to steal women's places & rewards in sports is utterly abhorrent.

More power to her pen.

PlectrumElectrum Wed 14-Feb-18 13:35:08

Sorry, hope this link works better.

Valentinesfart Wed 14-Feb-18 16:20:31

Very good, I tried googling her but obviously nothing came up in English. Hope she isn't suffering too much.

UpstartCrow Wed 14-Feb-18 16:29:18

That's heartbreaking. I had to quit sports after I developed arthritis and a knee injury, it was hell giving it up. But it was also one of those things, the risk of injury was always there while I was competing.

But this is different. I cant imagine getting to Olympic Standard and watching your sport destroyed like this.

powershowerforanhour Wed 14-Feb-18 17:17:18

What an eloquent letter. Good for her.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now