Talk

Advanced search

The drama shows commissioned by ITV for 2018... only one female writer.

(11 Posts)
numbereightyone Tue 13-Feb-18 16:37:36

Here

cultbox.co.uk/features/guides/every-new-drama-itv-has-coming-up-in-2018?utm_content=bufferb99e9&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

I really think that ITV can do better.

GuardianLions Tue 13-Feb-18 16:43:17

That's depressing

Melamin Tue 13-Feb-18 16:43:39

They can't spell Keeley either hmm

DwangelaForever Tue 13-Feb-18 16:44:21

💖

numbereightyone Tue 13-Feb-18 19:59:56

It feels even worse when they have female lead characters, with male writers.

pendeen123 Wed 14-Feb-18 12:44:22

Wasn't "Girlfriends" -which started on ITV in January- written by a woman?

OtterPearl Wed 14-Feb-18 13:17:38

I thought that too about the lead female role written by a man which investigates the essence of being woman when I saw the dr foster writer had written another show. I wondered if it would have the same feel to it.

Hard sun was another one I was really looking forward to as a sci fi with a female lead but I've been disappointed by the level of violence in it against her as some sort of empowerment thing. I just thought actually it was quite offensive. It's a male viewpoint of women's issues and whilst they seem to be trying hard to explore it I think they're actually reinforcing stereotypes. I also suspect they realise a massive section of their audience is female so they're writing for that market but not really getting it quite right.

Pleasebeafleabite Wed 14-Feb-18 13:19:47

Don’t worry the bbc have about ten by kay mellor involving all of her family to make up for it

OtterPearl Wed 14-Feb-18 13:22:05

I stopped watching Dr foster and hard sun for similar reasons. By the third episode I was getting pretty pissed at how the writer seems to have ticked boxes about how women think and feel at being cheated or abused but actually my lived experience is much more complex.

I suppose they've improved since the weak women turned angry stereotype aka little mo in eastenders.

We're being sold the idea that we finally have real women represented on TV but again it's been scripted by men.

numbereightyone Wed 14-Feb-18 13:25:56

I stopped watching McMafia because the female characters were either somebody's wife/girlfriend or a victim. Things may have improved as the series progressed, but I doubt it.

Dr Foster was also a good example of a man writing a 'strong' female part and getting it spectacularly wrong.

OtterPearl Wed 14-Feb-18 13:32:57

Yes, womens feelings in these shows are always the result of men's actions.

Mulling it over a bit more where they seem to get it wrong is when they depict male and female violence. They seem to think females should either be weak and suppliant or so angry they are very aggressive. There's no in between. No complexity. Either she is a victim or she's had enough and is kicking ass. But in reality loads of stuff happens in our life that hasn't been controlled by males directly. Loads of interactions.

Also the depiction of children is quite simplistic and formulaic in these shows, as victims etc. I can't bear to watch it add I find it bordering on gratuitous violence against kids and it's bloody weird.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now