Talk

Advanced search

Nothing to worry about

(13 Posts)
mummybear701 Tue 13-Feb-18 12:12:10

As gender and sex are two different things, it means the law will allow anyone to legally change their gender but won't change legal access to single sex spaces. We could have a debate whether hormone therapy or surgery changes sex or not, but thats outwith the scope of the proposed laws.

At least it sounds simple doesn't it. wink

NotTerfNorCis Tue 13-Feb-18 12:15:32

Ok so why are chaps competing in women's sports and getting transfers to women's prisons? hmm

TallulahWaitingInTheRain Tue 13-Feb-18 12:21:32

Well, I'd be happy with that if only we could persuade anyone in a position of power to adopt it.

stoneagefertilitydoll Tue 13-Feb-18 12:22:43

I, too would be fine with this - now, how to remind people that we've segregated stuff on sex, not gender so we can enforce it.

mummybear701 Tue 13-Feb-18 12:25:15

NotTerfNorCis I know, its a kind of tongue in cheek post. Just bringing up the treatment of sex and gender as one and the same when they are not, often by TRAs.

Pedantically

NotTerfNorCis Tue 13-Feb-18 12:28:35

TRAs think biological sex is 3rd grade science. And a social construct. It's mind -bending what they believe. confused

Ostrichnomore Tue 13-Feb-18 12:29:48

the law will allow anyone to legally change their gender but won't change legal access to single sex spaces

Tell us, what spaces will be "single sex"?

Single sex spaces are already being eradicated to make way for single gender spaces.

See Swim England for example.

Gender is a social construct. I don't subscribe to social construct, I don't identify with gender constraints.

I know sex to be fact. Therefore I will have politicians fighting for my views, medical examinations, have rape counselling, piss and swim in accordance with my sex. But wait... if I ask for toilets and swim sessions to be based on sex I am transphobic. If I ask for my women's officer to be of female sex I am transphobic.

Terftastic Tue 13-Feb-18 12:44:03

I saw a TRA tweet "biological sex is a social construct" last night.

They're like flat earthers. There's also a whole load of pseudoscience about chromosomes and whatnot circulating - it's utter bullshit.

Organisations like "Gendered Intelligence" are just the same as the people spouting "Intelligent Design" to try to deny Evolution - it's nuts. It's anti-scientific. It's anything but intelligent.

AngryAttackKittens Tue 13-Feb-18 12:47:09

I've heard that the vagina is a social construct before too, which might have been more convincing if I hadn't been bleeding out of my social construct at the time.

Terftastic Tue 13-Feb-18 12:59:47

It really is 1984 and the Crucible rolled into one dystopian nightmare.

BetsyM00 Tue 13-Feb-18 13:56:51

Apart from that pesky bit of legal fiction that states when a person changes their gender, their sex also changes.

Everyonematters Tue 13-Feb-18 14:00:33

Mummybear that sadly isn't true but would make much more sense than the current self-Id proposals. Why don't you suggest it to Maria Miller?

Somethingweird Tue 13-Feb-18 15:14:19

And if you get a letter from your GP stating you want to change your gender, you can immediately change your sex on your NHS medical records and on your passport.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now