Talk

Advanced search

Safety

(13 Posts)
Ostrichnomore Tue 13-Feb-18 10:42:36

I have just spoken to someone that has been doxxed.

If you have any reason to suspect that your MN identity (or another platform identity) could endanger your anonymity and therefore safety please be very careful about cross posting across platforms.

If your career or other part of your life is at risk as a result of being doxxed then your anonymity IS your safety.

Use throwaway emails, different usernames, and change your posts and the language you use across platforms.

All it takes is one canny fucker.

If you have been doxxed, you can immediately report any of your posts under that username to MNHQ and ask to have all posts under that name deleted. It is a faff, but doable.

That's all!

LadyMcLadyCrisps Tue 13-Feb-18 12:57:29

Someone who posts here has been doxxed?

LadyMcLadyCrisps Tue 13-Feb-18 12:58:32

Without being too outing (obviously) do we know how it came about?

upsideup Tue 13-Feb-18 12:59:54

What does doxxed mean? Someone has discovered who they are irl?

UpstartCrow Tue 13-Feb-18 13:00:41

upsideup Yes, thats what it means.

LadyMcLadyCrisps Tue 13-Feb-18 13:05:26

I post only here on the matter, and nowhere else for all the above reasons, although something weird happened to me the other day that made me very suspicious (cant say sadly as too outing). It could just be paranoia/coinincidence obviously, but is it possible that MN account details could be compromised?

UpstartCrow Tue 13-Feb-18 13:07:33

MN has been hacked in the past and account details posted online.

LadyMcLadyCrisps Tue 13-Feb-18 13:10:06

Out of interest, has anyone else had any odd things happen?

TerfyMcTerface Tue 13-Feb-18 13:15:36

There is a poster on this thread who was doxxed:

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/womens_rights/3162788-Whats-it-like-being-gender-critical-in-your-workplace

Ostrichnomore Tue 13-Feb-18 13:23:14

Aaargh, sorry I posted and ran.

The doxxing came about because of a post made here and the same post made on another platform where identifiable information was on display. This obviously means that all of that person's MN posts under that username are traceable to their real name.

Ladycrisps I am sure that this incident is coincidental but your own experience may not be. Nothing has happened directly to me but I'm very wary of it and am nervous of the consequences. I think we all should be.

The previous MN hack was fairly serious from what I gather.

Somethingweird Tue 13-Feb-18 13:26:07

Something weird happened to me too - have name changed to say that ! - it was almost like someone knew my real name.

OlennasWimple Tue 13-Feb-18 13:51:04

Can you elaborate Something? (Only if you feel safe to do so)

Somethingweird Tue 13-Feb-18 13:55:49

Well someone posted a few times on a thread on this board (not me), and the user name had elements of my name in it. Obviously could have been a coincidence, but made me wonder.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now