Talk

Advanced search

prostituted woman dies age 39

(9 Posts)
superhamster Mon 12-Feb-18 14:56:44

www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/feb/09/laura-lee-irish-sex-worker-and-campaigner-for-rights-of-prostitutes-dies-aged-39

This is the one who campaigned all her adult life trying to keep prostitution legal and who said she had never heard of any trafficked woman.

Now she has just mysteriously died- no reason given- age 39.

QuentinSummers Mon 12-Feb-18 15:28:23

I saw this, very sad. RIP Laura.

superhamster Mon 12-Feb-18 15:29:54

I wonder if it had anything to do with her prostitution "work"?

Patodp Mon 12-Feb-18 15:53:13

Not one to judge or assume, but prostitution work often comes with alcoholism, drug use or abuse of strong prescription pain killers....
Not sure I've heard of anyone dying from too much sex.

AnaWinter Mon 12-Feb-18 15:57:39

I read this over the weekend on a different news site. At the end of the article they provided a link to the Samaritans so I don’t suspect foul play at all.

QuentinSummers Mon 12-Feb-18 16:06:33

I'd prefer not to speculate, it could be anything

Babycham1979 Mon 12-Feb-18 16:11:24

Quite odd that you describe her as 'prostituted', OP. In light of her work and situation, I'd say it's wholly inaccurate and inappropriate, and I suspect she'd be offended that you deem to patronise and label her so.

How ironic.

TallulahWaitingInTheRain Mon 12-Feb-18 16:19:57

Quite odd that you describe her as 'prostituted', OP

Well not really, on a feminist board. Many feminists avoid the term 'sex worker' because a) its a legitimate position to hold that prostitution inevitably involves some element of coercion, and b) even if you don't believe a), the term arguably legitimises all forms of prostitution, including those involving unequivocal trafficking and coercion. This is not to disrespect anyone's genuine choice, just to avoid allowing one individual's choice to obscure other individuals' lack of choice.

Babycham1979 Mon 12-Feb-18 16:48:22

Ah, so it's ideological sophistry then? Fair enough, but let's not pretend otherwise.

While I wouldn't want to speak for Laura Lee (to do so would be extremely unfeminist), I think it's a stretch to suggest she was coerced or lacking autonomy in any way.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now