Talk

Advanced search

Jeremy Corbyn has a new enemy - Mumsnet

(280 Posts)
busyboysmum Mon 12-Feb-18 11:40:07

blogs.spectator.co.uk/2018/02/jeremy-corbyn-has-a-new-enemy-mumsnet/

I’ve learned that there are some brilliant, learned and compassionate people out there, who come at this from all angles. One (purely anecdotal) observation is that the diversity of opinions within the trans-gender population is not remotely reflected in the bit of this conversation most visible at Westminster. The trans community’s opinions are not as homogenous as some reporting and discussion suggest. So here’s a tip for hacks covering this: don’t just book Paris Lees or talk about Lilly Madigan. Ask Kristina Harrison what she thinks. Or Tara Hewitt. Or lots of other people. The same goes for the ‘radical’ feminist side of this: there’s more to it than Germaine Greer. (Though for some media outlets that really should know better, having any voice from that side of the conversation at all would be an improvement.)

Botanistinhiding Mon 12-Feb-18 11:45:39

Oh there are so, so many reasons I am not a fan of St Jeremy - his gender politics is just the latest of his awful policies I don’t like.

busyboysmum Mon 12-Feb-18 11:47:38

Nice that he is asking for the other side of the debate to be aired. This is what we should be pushing for I think.

UpstartCrow Mon 12-Feb-18 11:50:29

Brilliant article, the usual vile comments.

athingthateveryoneneeds Mon 12-Feb-18 11:52:18

#nomorenodebate

Once this gets into the public consciousness properly, there will be a huge backlash.

busyboysmum Mon 12-Feb-18 11:53:43

How do you read the comments? Do you have to subscribe?

AnotherCassandra Mon 12-Feb-18 11:54:50

Former labour member that voted Jeremy for leader <reporting for duty>. I care more about women non prostate owning type and children ASD/gay/gender non conforming being Sterealised than a gang of lost bully boys, conspiracy theorists and trans cult that labour now seems to be.

Winefred Mon 12-Feb-18 11:56:15

I was a staunch Corbynite, and party activist. [I have selfies of us cheek to cheek on two different occasions.] But the scales fell from my eyes when he announced that men are women because they say so. (And because they are men we have to do as they say, and that means agreeing that they are women). I've struggled all my career with gender bias. Sorry Jezzer, & Bye.

UpstartCrow Mon 12-Feb-18 11:58:10

You can read the comments if you create an account, log in, and switch off your ad blocker. But you can't comment or vote unless you subscribe, and I cannot be arsed.

Destinysdaughter Mon 12-Feb-18 11:59:08

What a brilliant article from James Kirkup! Feels like we are getting our voices heard at last!

Worldsworstcook Mon 12-Feb-18 12:00:23

I love Jezza! Got the teeshirt too. I only wish he'd speak up more. He does have a tendency to go quiet at times he could be selling himself. I think he's fab. Tories are the destructive driving force behind everything wrong in this country. Hate them with a passion. Actually 🤔 That woman who turned down the dwp post isn't that bad. She got brownie points for refusing to take it on the grounds that it screws the young

TerfsUp Mon 12-Feb-18 12:02:36

Excellent article. C'mon, Jeremy, bring it on if you're man enough.

AngryAttackKittens Mon 12-Feb-18 12:03:13

We don't have to be his enemies. He could talk to his old mate Linda Bellos if he wants to know why so many women in the party are so angry about all of this. If he chooses not to do that then he's the one who's decided that we're going to be enemies, not us.

ReluctantCamper Mon 12-Feb-18 12:05:20

That article is magnificent.

'Mumsnet is angry. And here’s something I already knew. When Mumsnet is angry, someone in politics is in trouble.'

People would also do well to remember Tony Blair being slow hand clapped by the WI.

I am a member of the WI and know that the other women in my group would be horrified by self ID. I keep wondering if I should bring it up somehow.

busyboysmum Mon 12-Feb-18 12:06:43

Maybe you could do that now ReluctantCamper. Might be a good time now to get this pushed into mainstream awareness.

TerfsUp Mon 12-Feb-18 12:06:48

I am a member of the WI and know that the other women in my group would be horrified by self ID. I keep wondering if I should bring it up somehow

Please do.

OutyMcOutface Mon 12-Feb-18 12:07:05

I was under the impression that Jeremy considered the majority of the British public his enemies anyway what with our capitalism and personal liberties

TellsEveryoneRealFacts Mon 12-Feb-18 12:09:04

Thing is, he got in power because of women, his membership is mainly women. Women leaving in droves will not help him one little bit.

ReluctantCamper Mon 12-Feb-18 12:09:09

I'm fairly new to the group, and while I'm middle aged the majority of them are retired. The WI does address issues like prostitution, but I don't know how politically engaged this group is. I think I'll discuss it with the chair at the next meeting. These people are my friends and neighbours - I don't want to offend them.

VanGoghsLeftEar Mon 12-Feb-18 12:09:27

This is a brilliant article encapsulating many of MN contributor concerns . Marvellous.

Destinysdaughter Mon 12-Feb-18 12:10:55

I've tweeted this to Jeremy Vine. Since Women's Hour won't cover it. He likes a good controversy on his show and we have to get it out into the mainstream to stop this madness!

#byanymeansneccessary grin

Otterseatpuffinsdontthey Mon 12-Feb-18 12:10:57

Placemark to read later

UpstartCrow Mon 12-Feb-18 12:11:10

Remember Owen Smith? Corbyn beat him in the leadership election. His Twitter feed looks like it was written by an actual politician.

twitter.com/OwenSmith_MP?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

SleepFreeZone Mon 12-Feb-18 12:13:11

Great article 👍 Thanks for linking.

Winefred Mon 12-Feb-18 12:14:09

If people were to self-identify as coming from an ethnic minority to get on a shortlist which is there to encourage more diversity, is it racist to point out how ludicrous this is?

Men are pretending to be women and we're not allowed to point this out. Because it's transphobic? Or because it's not submitting to male authority?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now