Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet political party

(30 Posts)
RainyDaysNorth Sun 11-Feb-18 10:07:06

I would put in my direct debit. Who else? And does a political party need to have a leader until point of election in parliament?

daysofpearlyspencer Sun 11-Feb-18 10:31:18

I have thought for some time that a new party is needed. Maybe Jennifer James to lead? I would join and I know of others that would

SmurfOrTerf Sun 11-Feb-18 10:36:27

Someone has just suggested on another thread that a new party should be called Women Say Fuck Off.
I'd vote for that

RedToothBrush Sun 11-Feb-18 10:47:53

Not convinced by Jennifer James for various reasons. She's got balls which I admire (pun intended) but I have a few nagging issues with her too.

OpalIridescence Sun 11-Feb-18 10:52:31

I would financially support the idea (dont get excited I am a broke single mother, could do a small debit each month).

And I would vote for a genuine woman centered party, quite frankly I am desperate for a party I can vote for at the moment.

leghairdontcare Sun 11-Feb-18 11:03:26

We'd splinter off and destroy ourselves within about an hour but I admire your optimism.

RadicalFern Sun 11-Feb-18 11:10:29

I remember reading somewhere that the Whigs were trying to stage a comeback. Maybe they're a viable option...

HarveyKietelRabbit Sun 11-Feb-18 11:17:37

Given all the posts this week about wanting to bring back the death penalty and people being apparently happy to do it themselves - no thanks.

GuardianLions Sun 11-Feb-18 11:20:07

I'd be up for a women's party as long as it centered women as the class of people who are or have the potential (or perceived potential) to become mothers.

Onlynever Sun 11-Feb-18 11:24:33

Any chance we could include staying in the EU, or does it have to be 1 policy only?

AssignedPuuurfectAtBirth Sun 11-Feb-18 11:26:24

I agree Red

TimbuktuTimbuktu Sun 11-Feb-18 11:33:39

I'd vote for Nic from Fair Play for Women to lead.

In fact Fair Play for Women is not a terrible name for a political party.

GuardianLions Sun 11-Feb-18 11:38:10

I think a leader with more of a solid grounding in radical feminism would suit me.

GuardianLions Sun 11-Feb-18 11:39:15

I mean than jj

GuardianLions Sun 11-Feb-18 11:45:11

But I would be happy to have a few choices for leader and vote. Someone who is able to listen to good advice with an ability to persuade might be preferable to someone who is theoretically sound, but prone to heroics, for example.

TimbuktuTimbuktu Sun 11-Feb-18 11:58:59

JJ is still labour and JC through and through, despite the terrible way she has been treated. I think her and Venice still think that they can change things from within and I respect that but I just don't have the same faith in JC or the LP to do anything for Women now.

BeatriceJoanna Sun 11-Feb-18 12:14:06

Timbuktu Yes, JJ and Venice are constantly defending Corbyn. I would like to - first proper left-wing leader in my lifetime - but I can't.

I'm still a LP member but I'm not sure for how much longer.

JaimesGoldenHand Sun 11-Feb-18 13:19:18

In a sense, it wouldn't really matter who led it. It feels to me like a repository for people like me who don't want to vote for any party but don't want to not vote or to spoil their ballot. What it would need is (a) spokesperson(s) and enough money and candidates to field a candidate in as many constituencies as possible. The stock answer to any question about policies other than GRA/self ID could be that this is a single issue party providing an outlet for people to make their views felt.

AnotherCassandra Sun 11-Feb-18 13:22:50

There have been many threads like this. Nobody wants to take on the expense or trouble, if they did it would have happened already.

UrsulaPandress Sun 11-Feb-18 13:25:14

But we all want different things.

MN is not of one mind.

boatyardblues Sun 11-Feb-18 13:45:03

I'd vote for Nic from Fair Play for Women to lead.

In fact Fair Play for Women is not a terrible name for a political party.

I find the measured, rationally argued and persistent approach of Fair Play for Women admirable. If they want to kick things up a notch and formally campaign/field candidates, I would donate money and my time to supporting the cause. It would be great to have a positive outlet.

BeyondTerfyCassandra Sun 11-Feb-18 13:54:31

Contact details (and a paypal link if you wanted to donate!) are on their homepage here, if you want to suggest it?

fairplayforwomen.com/

No1IronGirderRS Mon 12-Feb-18 01:33:23

My vote would be Datun to lead, but I'm not in the UK. Could we borrow her for Canada?

LindyHopSkipRunner Mon 12-Feb-18 01:40:38

people who are or have the potential (or perceived potential) to become mothers

Isn't that a bit Judean Popular Front? Reg and Lily would be straight in.

How about 'women'.

TheGoldenBough Mon 12-Feb-18 02:04:34

Ha! I was going to suggest @Datun too grin

But in all seriousness, I would support a party that centred women but i also agree that it would self destruct wothin an hour having read some of the posts on AIBU!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: