Talk

Advanced search

Mermaids Vs MLMs

(8 Posts)
PancakeInMaBelly Sat 10-Feb-18 17:57:43

So this got me thinking about the whole " DO YOU WANT A DEAD CHILD? NO? THEN DONT QUESTION THE SIDE EFFECTS OF PUBERTY BLOCKERS!!!!" stance, using suicide as a thread to silence mothers doubts and questions

://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2018/feb/10/raising-a-non-binary-child-as-long-as-one-of-the-side-effects-wasnt-death-it-was-the-right-way?CMP=fb_gu

And I think the psychology being used on MOTHERS is similar to the psychology used on mostly women in MLM schemes. Your instincts are wrong. Basically.

LadyMcLadyCrisps Sat 10-Feb-18 18:10:03

100%

It falls under the pathetic “dream, believe, achieve” umbrella for me, you know the one where if you just believe in something enough it makes it true?

Great post OP, I hadnt actively linked the two, but you are right.

Stopmakingsense Sat 10-Feb-18 18:23:13

What is a MLM scheme please?

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Sat 10-Feb-18 18:24:27

MLM = multi level marketing (essentially a pyramid scheme)

PancakeInMaBelly Sat 10-Feb-18 18:43:17

Exactly LadyMcLadyCrisps.

Believe in the magic beans that will make teens feel 100% happy in their skin.

Stopmakingsense, the schemes that target women who "want more time with their kids and want to build a future for them" which basically boil down to begging your friends and family to buy your online weightloss pills/juice/coffee etc. Block all doubters, they dont want you to provide for your babies!

OvaHere Sat 10-Feb-18 18:48:25

Yes.

MLM where the ultimate reward is always promised around the next corner. You don't believe me? Look at this photo of Frank and Sally with their mansion and a porsche. No of course the car and mansion weren't just photoshopped. Just keep devoting more and more of yourself to the dream but just don't call us if you end up bankrupt - we will have moved onto the next big thing. angry

PancakeInMaBelly Sat 10-Feb-18 19:01:24

Its the whole premise of the piece:

Mermaids helped me to quash my doubts, because I dont want a suicidal/dead child.

You can almost hear her telling herself to "shh" as the doubts about the side effects crept in. Sold on the idea that sterilisation will solve all of her childs problems sad

PancakeInMaBelly Sat 10-Feb-18 19:08:37

* Look at this photo of Frank and Sally with their mansion and a porsche*

The poster child is usually a blonde tanned Tommy Hilfiger model looking trans boy/girl who 100% "passes" and oozes confidence with a calm smile.

Pretty much same as the MLM idols.

Honestly the psychology is no different and I never saw it before reading that article. This is not good. This sort of psychological control ruins lives and relationships.

I wonder how many of these mermaid mums have left "negative" partners who questioned it? Like what happens when people get dragged deep into MLMs

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: