Talk

Advanced search

So DD's organ donor card just arrived...

(256 Posts)
Battleax Sat 10-Feb-18 14:22:28

...and she waved it at me, so I said "Right you're supposed to have a chat about your wishes with your family." She, continuing to waggle it, says "This is me telling you about my wishes". So I said "Okay, but have you thought about your womb and the trans thing?"

Turns out she doesn't want a man using her womb after her death.

So that's fine, but it made me think; should we all be stipulating this in writing to the organ donor organisation?

RainOnATinRoof Sat 10-Feb-18 14:24:36

No one is seriously proposing womb transplants for men though, it's just wishful thinking

Battleax Sat 10-Feb-18 14:24:38

Their website is here;

www.organdonation.nhs.uk

Twitter;

mobile.twitter.com/NHSOrganDonor

Facebook;

m.facebook.com/nhsorgandonor/

mustbemad17 Sat 10-Feb-18 14:25:33

You can't pick & choose who your organs go to. As far as i'm aware the family don't get told which organs go where anyway?

Battleax Sat 10-Feb-18 14:25:47

It's getting very politicised Rain, so I can easily imagine a lot of resources (and wombs) being sacrificed to the effort.

Bringonspring Sat 10-Feb-18 14:26:36

Wombs are not on the list.

TerfyMcTerface Sat 10-Feb-18 14:27:21

Yes, "wishful thinking" doesn't preclude anything. Magical thinking around gender is what's informing policy right now.

Battleax Sat 10-Feb-18 14:27:24

You can't pick & choose who your organs go to. As far as i'm aware the family don't get told which organs go where anyway?

No you can't specify recipients, so if you don't want your post-mortem uterus used that way, you'd have to clearly state "My womb not to be donated" (full stop).

Battleax Sat 10-Feb-18 14:28:42

Wombs are not on the list.

The list on my (possibly ancient) card finishes with "or any other part of my body".

I'll check current wording.

EmpressOfJurisfiction Sat 10-Feb-18 14:29:10

I redid my will recently, so I specified in there that my womb could only go to another biological woman.

mustbemad17 Sat 10-Feb-18 14:30:10

Would the same apply to other organs? If your DD thought that her other organs might go towards a transgender person, would that be something she was against too?

I'm very much 'all or nothing' when it comes to organ donation or blood donation. You choose to donate for whatever reason; you don't then get to try & decide who gets what. Either donate or don't

PorkSpork Sat 10-Feb-18 14:34:24

I'm happy for my womb to go to a trans woman/ man.

Same as I'm happy for my liver, kidneys, heart to go to anyone who wants/needs it. Imagine if we got to choose.

All the world's nasty little prejudices driving healthcare. Yuck.

Battleax Sat 10-Feb-18 14:34:35

Would the same apply to other organs? If your DD thought that her other organs might go towards a transgender person, would that be something she was against too?

What a strange question. Why does that question strike you as sensible enough to even ask?

dontforgetto Sat 10-Feb-18 14:34:55

Mustbemad big difference between a womb going to someone who has had to have theirs removed for medical reasons or such and donating to a biological male who has not been created to sustain a pregnancy.

Battleax Sat 10-Feb-18 14:36:32

Mustbemad big difference between a womb going to someone who has had to have theirs removed for medical reasons or such and donating to a biological male who has not been created to sustain a pregnancy.

Yes exactly; it's the waste. Women who need them could easily end up going without because of this insane political cult.

mustbemad17 Sat 10-Feb-18 14:38:00

but you can't distinguish between the two dontforget so you'd rather not donate at all than run the risk of a transgender person receiving it?

I'm still very much on the fence re the whole transgender thing but the way i see it is if a person has been accepted for gender reassignment surgery on the NHS - the only way, surely, that they will legally be allowed a donated organ - then they have jumped through enough hoops already.

Battleax Sat 10-Feb-18 14:38:33

Perhaps policy can be influenced so that donated reproductive tissues will only ever go to bodies that can support them.

Hearts, lungs, corneas etc can be given to anyone subject to tissue type matching and aren't wasted in support of an Emperor's New Clothes fantasy.

OverTheMountain42 Sat 10-Feb-18 14:40:26

http://www.livescience.com/60873-men-pregnant-uterus-transplant.html

A good article on womb transplants. If it's even possible it's a very long way off.

mustbemad17 Sat 10-Feb-18 14:41:32

Can we apply that to people who smoke & get cancer? Or people who drink & need new livers? They of course have to jump through hoops to prove they are doing everything they can to ensure the new organs will work sufficiently in their bodies...but there have been times when habit overthrows that. So for the small percentage of people who can't maintain a lifestyle despite their lives potentially depending on it, should we ban all transplants for smokers & drinkers too?

I get that people don't like the transgender issue, that is absolutely the right of the individual. But where do we draw the line?

Battleax Sat 10-Feb-18 14:44:05

I get that people don't like the transgender issue, that is absolutely the right of the individual. But where do we draw the line?

At science?

You're being unpleasant in misrepresenting rationality as bigotry. Donated tissues are a precious resource. We shouldn't all be obliged to be drawn into admiring the ENC at cost to others. Healthcare should always be rational.

PorkSpork Sat 10-Feb-18 14:46:05

Bigotry and hate is always dressed up as 'rationality' OP.

starrysights Sat 10-Feb-18 14:47:41

I hadn’t even considered this. You’re right, we need to look into whether that “or any other body parts” still exists. If it does, then I’m coming off the donation register sad

mustbemad17 Sat 10-Feb-18 14:48:29

I'm not trying to be unpleasant. I'm simply trying to understand where people would have the line drawn. Yes organs are precious, and sadly i have personal experience of people dying because they haven't had an organ in time. Which is why i don't understand how someone can be so dead set against what is a minority of people receiving an organ, that they would condemn other people not to? Okay a womb transplant isn't life or death for a person, but it still stands...someone would rather remove their organ from the pool completely because it might go to a transgender person

Iworrytoomuchh Sat 10-Feb-18 14:49:58

My sister was born without a womb, she can never have kids. If you want to ensure wombs aren’t donated to trans people that’s your decision (I don’t agree with it but whatever) but please specify so those who may have a need for it can get it. She’s only young and holds hope that in the future she’ll be able to get a transplant and carry kids, your organs are no good to you dead.
There’s far more evil people who could end up with your organs than someone suffering with transgender issues. You might want to specify ‘no rapists’ or similar also, or you could just accept that wherever they go it’s probably going to a better source than a hole in the ground or burnt.

mustbemad17 Sat 10-Feb-18 14:51:19

Iworrytoomuch you have simplified what I have tried to say, thank you

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: