Talk

Advanced search

Reply from my MP. Not too bad....

(7 Posts)
Cerealcomplainer Fri 09-Feb-18 21:32:52

Labour MP, male.

I had written to express my concern about self ID, and given a few examples of what I was concerned about.

Reply is as follows:

"Thank you for contacting me recently regarding your concerns about gender identity.

Last summer the Government announced it would publish a consultation on the Gender Recognition Act, to improve the recognition process and reduce the stigma faced by the trans community. Proposals were set to include removing the need for a medical diagnosis of gender dysphoria before being able to apply for gender recognition, and options for reducing the length and intrusiveness of the gender recognition system. However, the Government has delayed the consultation.

I believe that for the trans community in particular, we need to go much further to ensure that people feel as though the UK is a country in which identity is respected and supported. Prior to the 2015 general election, my Shadow Frontbench colleagues committed to strengthen the law on homophobic, biphobic and transphobic hate crime, equalising protection for these groups. My Shadow Frontbench colleagues also committed to strengthen the legal rights of trans and non-binary people by undertaking a review of gender identity law and policy.

I also think you’re right that no one should be able to abuse legal protections by falsely claiming an alternate gender.

Thank you once again for contacting me and for sharing your views. I can assure you I will continue to follow developments on these matters and bear in mind the points you raise."

Obviously some bits are slightly waffly and generic, but that is fair enough. The bit on 'legal rights of trans and non-binary people' isn't specific enough to mean anything one way or another (I don't think there are any legal rights they don't have, other than those of a sex that is not theirs.

But overall, not as bad as it could be?

mamaryllis Fri 09-Feb-18 21:41:10

Sadly it sounds as though he is placating you by sounding reasonable but fully intends to shore up the party line by legalizing the rights of self identified trans people.

I can’t see anything that suggests he recognizes that sex-based rights might be eroded as a result, and his focus is on improving the legal rights of trans.

It’s more placating language than some have received, but it doesn’t actually say anything - despite taking some time to do so.

OlennasWimple Fri 09-Feb-18 21:54:30

Yeah, I think that's a lot better than some of the replies others have received from MPs who have drunk the Kool Aid perhaps not given the issue much thought before

thebewilderness Sat 10-Feb-18 06:02:20

WTF is a biphobic hate crime?
How do they define hate crime. Refusing to believe males can transmogrify into females by signing a piece of paper or the 2nd rule of misogyny: Women saying no to men is a violent hate crime.
They are not going to tell women what they are contemplating codifying into law because if they do women will realize they have been erased.

TheOnlyLivingBoyInNewCross Sat 10-Feb-18 08:27:25

That sounds very pro the current Orwellian transspeak to me, I’m afraid. Barely any acknowledgement of the concerns over where this leaves biological women.

Destinysdaughter Sat 10-Feb-18 08:45:22

I'm still waiting for a reply from my MP. I just don't think they realise the very real threat to women's rights, safety and freedom these men represent. Interestingly, I reas on Twitter that the recent fall in support for Labour is entirely due to women!

starrysights Sat 10-Feb-18 08:47:00

Labour’s purge of the trans-rights heretics

www.thetimes.co.uk/article/labour-s-purge-of-the-trans-rights-heretics-p32khgn36?shareToken=94521cba06dff6638ace225f8023b62f

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: