Talk

Advanced search

And now we have censorship...

(13 Posts)
Destinysdaughter Fri 09-Feb-18 18:59:28

Read the essay by a Black lesbian feminist that a publisher commissioned, edited, accepted - and subsequently rejected following demands by gender dogmatists.

Please support Claire and her writing. We need voices like hers.

https://sisteroutrider.wordpress.com/2018/02/09/womanhood/

Destinysdaughter Fri 09-Feb-18 19:02:41

Click link. In this excellent article on gender identity and womanhood, she explains how pressure was put on the publishers, by people who hadn't even read the article to not publish it, so she published it on her blog instead.

sisteroutrider.wordpress.com/2018/02/09/womanhood/

LangCleg Fri 09-Feb-18 19:26:32

Queer is less about collectively challenging structural inequalities at their root than an individualised subversion of social norms.

I love Claire. This would fit so well into the discussion on the thread about liberal feminism.

Valentinesfart Fri 09-Feb-18 20:12:29

Urgh those privilege black lesbian women hmm

TallulahWaitingInTheRain Fri 09-Feb-18 20:25:38

Great essay.

Igneococcus Fri 09-Feb-18 20:31:13

Can I be ambassador to somewhere warm and sunny?

Igneococcus Fri 09-Feb-18 20:32:03

sorry completely wrong thread

NoFanJoe Fri 09-Feb-18 22:08:17

There's quite a few things on her blog that are really well written.

Though I'm off now to hunt for an "anyone fancy an ambassadorship?" thread. I hope the good ones haven't already gone while I've been reading!

AdelicaArundel Fri 09-Feb-18 22:11:27

Oh holy moly....that is some writing.
I don't consider myself well educated in feminism- I rarely post here but I have learned so much from those of you who regularly post, and who keep posting much of the same stuff over and over.

But this piece....it does take some hard thinking to keep up with her points, but they are well thought through. Brava!

Isn't it funny how a good writer can articulate something before I could even figure out the question they've gone on to answer.

Her last paragraph (hope it doesn't step on any toes to copy it)

"Gender roles and the hierarchy they maintain are incompatible with the liberation of women and girls from patriarchal oppression. It is because I love women, and because I am a woman, that I cannot afford to pretend otherwise. Embracing gender as an identity is the equivalent of decorating the interior of a cell: it is a superficial perspective which offers no freedom."

Excellent article- thanks OP

rowdywoman1 Fri 09-Feb-18 22:14:33

Fantastic article - and so shameful that the publishers won't publish it.

Utterly depressing.

AngryAttackKittens Fri 09-Feb-18 22:18:05

Her whole blog is worth reading through, she's a fantastic writer.

happytocomply Fri 09-Feb-18 22:38:43

Such a brilliant article, thank you for sharing.

What I needed after reading that most illogical, depressing piece in The Guardian this morning.

Akire Fri 09-Feb-18 22:50:04

Thanks for sharing, I did get brain ache half way through and still not sure what gender queer is but loved the use of Cis-gendered instead of CisWomen. Women are women and in Cis-gender is least a definition without taking our Name

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: