Talk

Advanced search

Labour and self-ID

(12 Posts)
YesItsADebate Fri 09-Feb-18 11:07:19

I met with my MP today (Labour), who does not agree with self-ID. His view is that sex and gender are not inter-changeable and that women’s rights must be protected from men seeking to use trans ideology to infringe upon them.

He also said that he couldn’t honestly recommend the Labour Party to women at the moment. Both Jeremy Corbyn and Dawn Butler are on-side with the NEC’s pro-self ID agenda and women are being hounded by LM and gang in their secret group with their lists and dossiers.

I know several MNers have resigned their membership from the party. I intend to stay and work with other who are opposed to self-ID to put forward our side of the debate. Anyone else?

Ostrichnomore Fri 09-Feb-18 11:10:32

I'm not a member but I just wanted to say I'm pleased to hear that a male MP has this view. So far the only MPs I understand to still be viewing women's rights as necessary are women themselves. So thank you for posting, it's refreshing to say the least.

YesItsADebate Fri 09-Feb-18 13:27:16

Yes, I was nervously expecting to be told that I need ‘re-educating’, so I was very pleased.

Winefred Fri 09-Feb-18 14:24:49

I cannot risk my career by making a stand on this. So, after decades of Labour campaigning (and 2 selfies with Mr Corbyn) I won't be voting Labour while this nonsense persists.

HowDoYouCook Fri 09-Feb-18 14:28:47

Please forward how very relieved and grateful I am, to your MP. I can't vote labour on this occasion, so will be posting a blank ballot for the local elections.

YesItsADebate Fri 09-Feb-18 14:36:42

I will pass on your messages, thanks.

He was a bit taken aback by my casual mention of my plan to go topless swimming at the men-only session at the local pool grin

SteelyPip Fri 09-Feb-18 14:53:16

I've always voted Labour, but can't now because of the trans debate. Trouble is I don't know who I can vote for. sad

I'm glad to read that your MP was on board OP.

Lefty99 Sat 10-Feb-18 13:49:49

Well done YesItsaDebate for speaking to your MP! I'm sticking it out in the party too. I can't quite being myself to do any party activism at the moment though - how could I encourage people to vote Labour in this climate? Really wish some gender critical MP's would speak publicly on this issue tho their silence is deafening

WitchIwasaWitch18 Sat 10-Feb-18 14:04:28

Well done to your MP. I cannot vote Labour anymore. I can't quite believe this is all happening, its bloody scary.

rb67 Sat 10-Feb-18 18:40:58

I am a member of the Labour Party. I've donated to the Jennifer James campaign. It is not discussed in our local party, we are still quite fragile from the new labour/old - but - now - new labour split. I know there is supposed to be some kind of consultation on the issue but it is not clear what form this will take - does anyone know?

YesItsADebate Sun 11-Feb-18 21:17:30

I haven’t seen anything about a supposed consultation. I got asked to donate a tenner for a badge about women’s representation though hmm

I brought this up at the last branch meeting and everyone was incredulous and horrified. I’m going to put forward the Women’s Place motion at the next one. Other than that, Labour can go whistle for my support while they keep up this ridiculous course.

No1IronGirderRS Mon 12-Feb-18 01:13:43

@YesItsADebate Fri 09-Feb-18 14:36:42
He was a bit taken aback by my casual mention of my plan to go topless swimming at the men-only session at the local pool

Oh please do, and when they tell you that breasts must be covered up, respond in shock and horror, 'How dare you! This is my manly chest!' and/or maybe call them boobphobicgrin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now