Talk

Advanced search

Transgender murder rates

(17 Posts)
Seer Fri 09-Feb-18 00:02:34

I'm having a debate on fb and being asked for evidence on 'my claim' that people are more at risk of being murdered by trans people than vice versa (based on this thread: https://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/womens_rights/3080711-UK-transgender-murder-rate

And I'm now being accused of 'fake news' grin

For some reason I can't find that thread on the app or I'd have posted on it.

Anyway, does anyone know of a link that neatly lists the relevant numbers in one place please?

I don't want to link to the MN thread in the fb convo and the trans website linked to in the thread doesn't list the numbers (the fab OP of the thread had done some digging around and number crunching).

Thank you!

thebewilderness Fri 09-Feb-18 00:04:57

fairplayforwomen.com/fact-checker/trans-murder-rates/

Seer Fri 09-Feb-18 00:08:51

Thanks so much, wilderness thanks

I wish it wasn't an website that he'll probably dismiss as being transphobic/terfy but who else other than gender critical feminists would actually care about finding out the truth about this stuff?

UpstartCrow Fri 09-Feb-18 00:15:26

Someone posted recently that no trans people were murdered in the UK last year but one women was murdered by a trans person.

Does anyone have a link to an kind of official source? Google wont play ball.

BlindYeo Fri 09-Feb-18 00:17:33

transcrimeuk.com/

UpstartCrow Fri 09-Feb-18 00:18:27

Thats even better than I hoped, thank you.

Frequency Fri 09-Feb-18 00:18:59

www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/mar/14/champion-runner-lauren-jeska-jailed-for-attempted-of-uk-athletics-official-ralph-knibbs

Is this what you were remembering?

It's harder to find because transgender was skipped over in most of the headlines.

BlindYeo Fri 09-Feb-18 00:19:47

That site lists all the media reports at the bottom of each case.

UpstartCrow Fri 09-Feb-18 00:25:12

I wonder how Ralph Knibbs is today.

GrockleBocs Fri 09-Feb-18 00:25:20

I do wonder how a graph of violent offences of women v transwomen would look.

Seer Fri 09-Feb-18 07:36:01

He dismissed it as a Terf site.

I'm starting to understand how weird this whole situation is. confused

IndominusRex Fri 09-Feb-18 07:37:36

It was Sarah Ditum who tweeted about the stats for last year.

TinyRick Fri 09-Feb-18 07:50:05

Ask him for stats to back up his claim.

stoneagefertilitydoll Fri 09-Feb-18 07:51:39

If he won't accept any of your sources, can he provide any that show the trans murder rate?

Slitherout Fri 09-Feb-18 07:53:12

Even if you had undisputable facts it's usually dismissed as 'they don't record the victims as their correct transgender', there's no winning 😞

Seer Fri 09-Feb-18 08:01:02

Even though he's usually very evidence-based I suspect when he made the original claim (about trans people being more at risk of violence etc), it didn't even cross his mind that it might not be true, it's so often repeated.

I have asked him for sources to back his claim, we're in different time zones though so it might take a while (assuming the sources even exist).

Of course, the onus is on me as I'm the only one in the thread suggesting the emperor has no clothes. 🤷🏻‍♀️

HerFemaleness Fri 09-Feb-18 08:44:13

Ask him to provide his own figures then. He'll probably produce some from Brazil and Mexico, and then you could point out that trans activists are usually white and middle class, not BME and involved in sex work.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now