Talk

Advanced search

Discussion on self-ID/trans on FB

(28 Posts)
StinkPickle Thu 08-Feb-18 18:17:42

If anyone doesn't mind sticking their neck out publicly there are a hell of a lot of women here who don't see the issue with women NOT being allowed to request a bio woman to do their smear test!

It's actually scaring me how blindly they're saying "I don't have a problem with a male so neither should you" and also missing the point that it isn't about MALEs doing smear tests, but males in dresses being called women doing smear tests.

www.facebook.com/MoneySavingMummy0/posts/1621531437937085?

OvaHere Thu 08-Feb-18 19:21:31

Interesting point raised in that discussion. Currently a male nurse or GP has to have a chaperone to perform intimate exams (to protect both parties from either assault or accusations of assault).

This isn't the case with a female HCP so presumably you wouldn't get a chaperone with a self identifying TIM? Because that would be invalidating I suppose.

Can't believe so many women can't think beyond themselves and have no concern for women that would be hugely distressed. sad

StinkPickle Thu 08-Feb-18 19:45:40

I find it so scary that there are heaps and heaps of women all so busy virtue signalling that they cannot see past themselves and imagine the many many scenarios that a woman wouldn't want a bloke with a dick in a dress to do a smear.

It's not just the MRA out fighting to oppress women's concerns but actual WOMEN are shutting down the debate by using #bigot on that post.

Callmejudith Thu 08-Feb-18 19:53:53

I particularly want to challenge this comment

" If they are transgender and now identifying as a woman, they are a women, this link implies a man identifying as a man ‘stumble, meat and 2 veg’ this is derogatory and factual incorrect. By all means open the conversation but do it factually and not scare mongering"

Mrsmiguelcervantes Thu 08-Feb-18 19:59:45

Some truly hard of thinking posters on there. Apparently anyone who doesn’t want a smear from a TIM needs to ‘get over themselves’ and TIMs were never once male, they were always female.

Mrsmiguelcervantes Thu 08-Feb-18 20:28:12

I feel quite depressed after reading those comments, completely moronic.

sparklefarts Thu 08-Feb-18 20:44:58

Sorry to derail abit but What does TIM stand for? Thanks

MadCap Thu 08-Feb-18 20:47:21

I'm currently fighting the good fight over on the Guardian's fb page about AWS. I have no idea why I started. Guess I'm out as a terf now. 😂😂

OvaHere Thu 08-Feb-18 20:50:09

TIM = Trans Identified Male

It's a preferred gender critical term for transwoman. TIF is the opposite.

SouthernFox Thu 08-Feb-18 21:28:52

Jesus. I had to stop reading those Facebook comments. So depressing that these women cannot even comprehend that other women might not be comfortable with it. Perhaps the real problem is not the MRAs, just the idiot females with not a shred of critical thought.

And I swear every other post was '50 male doctors saw my fanny when I was giving birth'.

iamawoman Thu 08-Feb-18 21:43:23

Those responses are really moronic - its a very limited view - honestly i cant be the only woman that hates going for a smear and i would not go if a man was going to carry it out unless he was the only person in the uk qualified to do it - however i have heard there are certain types of women that do like their intimate examinations carried out by men !

drinkswineoutofamug Thu 08-Feb-18 21:49:38

So, when I go for my smear next week. And beryl with a beard comes in wearing a dress but still has meat and veg. Am I allowed to ask that nurse beryl is chaperoned as biologically she is a he?
Sorry to offend any Beryl's on here

iamawoman Thu 08-Feb-18 22:15:04

No you would be accused of transphobia because he is a she!! Allegedly! (because he says so and has been a she for one week) before that he was just a garden varierty agp

CaptainWarbeck Thu 08-Feb-18 22:16:46

*Interesting point raised in that discussion. Currently a male nurse or GP has to have a chaperone to perform intimate exams (to protect both parties from either assault or accusations of assault).

This isn't the case with a female HCP so presumably you wouldn't get a chaperone with a self identifying TIM? Because that would be invalidating I suppose.*

Someone's got some wires crossed here. HCPs should always offer a chaperone for intimate examinations whether they are male or female for the reasons above. So that wouldn't change with a self identifying TIM. A chaperone should still be offered.

Materialist Thu 08-Feb-18 22:37:53

I can't go public on FB, but if I could, I'd ask these women what about a Trans-Vaginal Ultrasound, in which the technician pulls out a long cylindrical rod of about 7 inches, rolls a condom down over it, inserts lube into your vagina, and then inserts the wand and moves it in, out, and around.
If they deny a woman has a right to object to a procedure that so mimics intercouse being conducted by a man, I"d tell them they're serving rape culture, denying a woman's right to say no to an act that closely mimics violence she may well have endured.
Then I'd extrapolate from that procedure to cervical biopsies (extremely painful) colposcopies (extremely invasive), terminations and childbirth (possibilities of extreme pain, emotional distress, and utter helplessness) and smear tests (invasive and unpleasant.) Where exactly is the line past which a woman loses the right to say NO regarding who exactly inserts what into her vagina while she lies supine, legs wide apart, feet in stirrups (a very disempowered position)? Anywhere they draw a line and say "past here, a woman has no right to say no," they are supporting rape culture. The only possible feminist answer, for any feminist who believes there is such a thing as rape culture, is that there is no line.

drinkswineoutofamug Thu 08-Feb-18 22:38:36

This is what I thought, I have to have a chaperone when I do intimate care , especially on the unit where I work as most patients are even more vulnerable as they are in medical comas.
I have never asked my female nurse to be chaperoned.

OvaHere Thu 08-Feb-18 22:49:32

CaptainWarbeck

I stand corrected then. Although I definitely haven't ever been offered one at my local surgery (female HCP).

iamawoman Thu 08-Feb-18 22:53:43

Never have been offered a chaperone when been seen by a female hcp

MyTerfNeedsRolling Thu 08-Feb-18 23:20:05

I seem to have contributed to the discussion 😳😳

CaptainWarbeck Fri 09-Feb-18 00:50:58

I know. It's best practice. Best practice doesn't always happen unfortunately. But that is what HCPs are taught to do in training.

You should be offered a chaperone with a female HCP for intimate exams and if you're not you are completely within your rights to ask for one.

thebewilderness Fri 09-Feb-18 04:28:19

They are assuming an actual transmogrification or medical transition has taken place when all that has happened is a male has signed a piece of paper attesting that they identify as female.

Terftastic Fri 09-Feb-18 07:20:17

I think those women who are saying "I don't care who does my smear" and calling people bigots are blissfully unaware of autogynephilia.

The thought of someone getting off on giving me a smear makes me feel ill.

Mrsmiguelcervantes Fri 09-Feb-18 11:07:52

Yes the level of sheer thickness and ignorance on that thread is astounding.

'I don't care who does my smear LOL lots of male doctors saw my fanny when I had my kids'

facepalm

WitchIwasaWitch18 Fri 09-Feb-18 17:26:24

I see there are two women on the FB comments at least trying to make the others see sense. Otherwise its all about MEEEEE and how I'm so amazingly confident and smug and "I don't care who sees or gropes my fanny cos it's gonna save me life innit?"

MyTerfNeedsRolling Fri 09-Feb-18 17:34:03

I actually dont care who sees my fanny but i realise that most other women have more dignity than me smile and it really IS about choice and feeling safe. (Mine is one of the comments not about MEEEEEE)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: